Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Instant image review FRUSTRATED...Is this a BUG ???

I don't know why but my Instant review is almost unusable. I spend more time just trying to press/release the shutter button at exacty the right millisecond correctly to get instant review to even come up at all. It seems if I press the shutter for a millisecond too long , or a millisecond to short it just wont come up after the shot and gets ready for the next shot. At least 65%+ of the time it goes right back to Live View/screen for the next shot.
Its frustrating to have to hit the memory button to pull up the review each time when needed and Im tired of it. Its so frustrating compared to my K30's that work perfect in this respect and I need some kind of a real answer ?
I asked a while back about this and was told its a "Pro" quality and more sensitive shutter button.....well...that isn't cutting it at all anymore. Was also told I didn't know how to release the shutter correctly...RIGHT.....lol.
I need it to work for Gods sake and quit being so incrementally overly sensitive to where review works properly after each shot so I dont have to go pull it up each time with the memory button.
Shoot a lot of manual Legacy glass and like using Instant review frequently for various reasons. But on the K3 its yet another "glitch" that's starting to add up to a large ball of frustration for me and why it sits largely unused in its bag most of the time.
I want to think about my shot....not about a finicky shutter release for Instant Image Review to work !
BTW....it ONLY does this in liveview.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 01:26 PM.
04-29-2015, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Dlanor

You can try it in the menu : camera symbol number 4

Instant review: Display time set to HOLD or For live view set it to 3 or 5 seconds

You can see the review until you hit the shutter button again.

Greetings Crooski
04-29-2015, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what to tell you. Working as designed I think, if you touch the shutter button again after the review starts it thinks you want to take another picture. I actually have the opposite frustration with the review sticking around and preventing me from changing settings until it clears, so much so that I usually have it turned off it is so annoying.

Try this though: in liveview, take a picture and do not release the shutter button. Just hold it down. On my k-3 that keeps the review on screen until I release the button.
04-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Hello Dlanor

You can try it in the menu : camera symbol number 4

Instant review: Display time set to HOLD or For live view set it to 3 or 5 seconds

You can see the review until you hit the shutter button again.

Greetings Crooski
Nope...still erratic. Sometimes it previews and sometimes not.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure what to tell you. Working as designed I think, if you touch the shutter button again after the review starts it thinks you want to take another picture. I actually have the opposite frustration with the review sticking around and preventing me from changing settings until it clears, so much so that I usually have it turned off it is so annoying.

Try this though: in liveview, take a picture and do not release the shutter button. Just hold it down. On my k-3 that keeps the review on screen until I release the button.
If its sticking around forever you may have "Hold" enabled ? Nope....its just erratic.....sometimes previews and sometimes it doesn't....erratic at best.
Holding it down does preview after the shot but then Im unable to zoom in.....Split second I let up it may stay...or it may be gone ....its just erratic.

04-29-2015, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Your shutter button could actually be broken or need a cleaning -- intermittent contact.
04-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Your shutter button could actually be broken or need a cleaning -- intermittent contact.
I think the same as far as defective and did question that it may have a defective shutter button a while back. Not dirty though as its only has 680 shutter actuations and has been kept in the original box . Its been in the box except for about 7 days total.....this way since day 1. Clean....mint.
Its strange it only does it in LV and that it works perfect through view finder. ??
04-29-2015, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What memory card are you using? A slow memory card can lead to a long write time.

04-29-2015, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

What firmware - possibly original?
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
What memory card are you using? A slow memory card can lead to a long write time.
Sandisk Ultra , Ultra Pro , or Extreme.....does it with all of them. I do notice that I see a little hourglass symbol for a fraction of a mili-second as it jumps out of what should be review back to normal LV for the next shot ??

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 03:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
What firmware - possibly original?
Firmware is updated once from the first version , but not the most recent version with the Bug. Just checked its V1.11
04-29-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just tried it with mine and everything worked okay. I even tried various combinations under Live View. Have you tried a reset back to default? It may be simply a corrupt data byte somewhere.
04-29-2015, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it do this with all or only one lens?
04-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Just tried it with mine and everything worked okay. I even tried various combinations under Live View. Have you tried a reset back to default? It may be simply a corrupt data byte somewhere.
Yes...reset two times but will try it again.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 03:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Does it do this with all or only one lens?
All lenses...MF and AF.
04-29-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds like a warranty repair, I'm afraid. Something in the circuitry, evidently. You've done everything that should identify or clear the malfunction. The physical switch concern doesn't sound likely.
04-29-2015, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #14

What is strange is that the K3 behaves differently while in live view mode. When in normal mode the review will only show after I have released the shutter button, and then it will stay for the selected time or until I activate the shutter button. When shooting in live view mode, the review will display after a short time, independent of whether I have released the shutter button or not. And if the review shows before the shutter button is released, it will closed immediately when the shutter button is released. If I release the shutter button before the review shows, it will stay the selected time (or forever if hold is selected) or until I activate the shutter button.

Independent of wheter it is by design or by a bug, I would prefer the two modes to have same behavior, and preferably the one in the normal mode.
04-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No matter what...its still erratic. Sometimes if letting up shutter immediately after depressing for picture it goes into review , sometimes not.
Sometimes after continuing to hold shutter down and then releasing quickly it goes into review and sometimes not.
Sometimes it alternates back and forth upon firing shutter reviewing or not reviewing , and sometimes multiple times it doesn't go into review.
Its just got to be the shutter button as cant think anything else ? I cant get it to repeat in any kind of steady fashion no matter what... either to not go into review or to get it to go into review......inconsistent and variable.

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 04:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
What is strange is that the K3 behaves differently while in live view mode. When in normal mode the review will only show after I have released the shutter button, and then it will stay for the selected time or until I activate the shutter button. When shooting in live view mode, the review will display after a short time, independent of whether I have released the shutter button or not. And if the review shows before the shutter button is released, it will closed immediately when the shutter button is released. If I release the shutter button before the review shows, it will stay the selected time (or forever if hold is selected) or until I activate the shutter button.

Independent of wheter it is by design or by a bug, I would prefer the two modes to have same behavior, and preferably the one in the normal mode.
Ok....this sounds similar and seems if I release the shutter button quickly and immediately (snappy motion inducing camera shake) it goes into review a bit more cosistently , but not always for sure.
Is that what you are saying that yours is similar ? Do you think this is a BUG ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 01:38 PM.