Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

GPS Unit

Hi all, a quick (dumb) question...

The separate GPS unit has a automatic clock setting function included - could not see any remarks like below for K-3 II on board GPS:
"The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date."

Does anybody know?
I'm always lazy in switching the clock when changing time zones and Daylight Saving Time (DST)... ;-)

04-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentxOrni Quote
I'm always lazy in switching the clock when changing time zones and Daylight Saving Time (DST)
So am I, so several years ago I started setting mine to UTC.
04-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect the functionality of the two to be identical.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Every GPS has an accurate clock. It is the nature of the beast. the GPS gets its clock setting from the GPS satellites, so wherever your GPS can get a GPS signal, it also gets an extremely accurate clock setting. I can't imagine that Pentax would put a GPS in the camera without taking advantage of this feature.

04-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can synch your clock with almost absolute precision when you have a gps fix, since you have multiple accurate timestamps (GPS satellites all have atomic clocks onboard, and they are synchronized daily) delivered to your device (one from each satellite), and you know the exact distances those signals have travelled (because you know the position of the respective satellites and your position).
The speed of light through the atmosphere is a known quantity - a little less than c.
The rest is simple calculations/interpolation of the resulting values.
04-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys, sooo, we are not 100% sure yet but expecting it to be identical. If confirmed it would definitely be, among other "nice-to-have" features another little "pro" for me, sense-making upgrade at a reasonable price tag.