Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

New K-3 (from K-r)

Just upgraded to anew K-3 after using a K-r for about 3 years. The K-3 was my first DSLR, but not my first Pentax SLR. I've been using Pentax cameras for 30 years. Being my first digital camera, I chose the K-r due to a special deal Amazon had way back then. I wasn't at all sure about how I would like shooting without film, lol.

After a year of learning how to get the results I wanted, I really took to the K-r and bought several prime lenses for the camera. Eventually, I think I just outgrew it. I wanted the dual edials of the K-3 (that actually work!), and 24MP is quite a jump from 12MP. The additional exposure modes/options are very nice and make it much easier to quickly get what I want without too much thought. The K-r was more work due to the limitations baked into the camera: a) limited exposure modes, b) no HDR or filters for RAW images.

Anyway, just a "how do you do" from a longtime Pentaxian and new K-3 owner.

Regards,
Dan

04-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
04-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, its a huge difference to the K-r, I'm always shocked when i have to help my girlfriend out in it's configuration or when I take a snap to proof that it is possible. :-)
The biggest plus on the K-7/5/3 is the layout, dual dial, iso-button, etc., etc.

Great you made the jump, I'm sure you will not regret it, the K-3 is much better camera in all regards.
04-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome! The K-r is a nice camera, but the K-3 is a great jump! Congratulations and enjoy your stay, I think you'll fit right in. Lots of users here started with Pentax SLRs, and many still use various older lenses on their new DSLRs. This is another advantage of Pentax DSLRs - they have great compatibility with older lenses

04-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I hope you enjoy your new K-3 as much as I do mine. Great Camera. One thing you need to be aware of. If you use it with one of the DA Limiteds, your addicted. You will want them all. It took me a few years and most of them were bought used but the K-3 and DA 21, 35 macro (or DA40) and the DA 70 and you have an incredibly compact high quality kit that covers almost anything you could want except extreme telephoto.
04-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Dan

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I hope you enjoy your new K-3 as much as I do mine. Great Camera. One thing you need to be aware of. If you use it with one of the DA Limiteds, your addicted. You will want them all. It took me a few years and most of them were bought used but the K-3 and DA 21, 35 macro (or DA40) and the DA 70 and you have an incredibly compact high quality kit that covers almost anything you could want except extreme telephoto.
Already have these:

smc PENTAX DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
smc PENTAX DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM
HD PENTAX DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
HD PENTAX DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

I'd say I'm way addicted...

Regards,
Dan
04-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum ! I would say you jumped right in going for the K3. Its a great camera you wont regret.

05-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

I'm curious: you mentioned you wanted e-dials that worked...is yours kinda flaky? I'm still using an almost-five yr old K-x, and the e-dial is now a crapshoot: it might go up, it might go down, it might do nothing! I also have some kind of sensor-movement issue that gives almost every shot the same amount of double-image-type blur no matter what speed or tripod I use, shake-reduction or not.

So, I'm (finally) going up to K-3, too. Decided the new K-3 II wasn't "better" enough to beat the K-3's bang-for-buck. Looking at Adorama's bundle: body, grip, and 50mm f/1.8 for $850.

Also, I can't say enough about the DA*300mm f/4 - worth every penny (and I don't have many to spare!) 'cause I shoot mostly nature.

Enjoy!
05-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBirds Quote
I'm curious: you mentioned you wanted e-dials that worked...is yours kinda flaky? I'm still using an almost-five yr old K-x, and the e-dial is now a crapshoot: it might go up, it might go down, it might do nothing! I also have some kind of sensor-movement issue that gives almost every shot the same amount of double-image-type blur no matter what speed or tripod I use, shake-reduction or not.

So, I'm (finally) going up to K-3, too. Decided the new K-3 II wasn't "better" enough to beat the K-3's bang-for-buck. Looking at Adorama's bundle: body, grip, and 50mm f/1.8 for $850.

Also, I can't say enough about the DA*300mm f/4 - worth every penny (and I don't have many to spare!) 'cause I shoot mostly nature.

Enjoy!
Using the edial on my K-r was tedious. I'd scroll to go up, and it would go up, then down, then nothing, then up. I've heard (on these here forums) that there is a way to degrease the edial as, apparently, the lubricant is the cause the wonky control. But I've never had any other issue with my K-r, so I learned to work around it.

Regards,
Dan