Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Reversal Film" custom image preset in K-3

Hi, all!

I love to stylize some of my sessions to a film and usually use some of LR presets or exposure software. For some kinds of scenes I love reversal film effect, say spring or summer family portraits. Tried K-3 custom image present (reversal film) and loved it. BUT, is it concern any particular film (doesn't seem to be fuji reversals)? Has anyone know something about this?

05-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If the K-3 custom preset is specific to particular film brand/emulsion, it is not documented. If you like the look, simply use it and forget about it.

Steve
05-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

When selecting the custom image preset for Reversal Film, if you press Info, you can configure the settings. Perhaps you can get close to a particular reversal film that way.
05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

I should imagine there might be copyright issues if Pentax/Ricoh were to name a brand of film they were emulating?

05-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Steve, AquaDome, GraveIrash, thank you for the answers!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If the K-3 custom preset is specific to particular film brand/emulsion, it is not documented. If you like the look, simply use it and forget about it.

Steve
Not my option - like to make real stylization, I mean to stylize for a particular film with a dates of production and so on to add epoсh mood.

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When selecting the custom image preset for Reversal Film, if you press Info, you can configure the settings. Perhaps you can get close to a particular reversal film that way.
You mean setting like contrast, sharpness and so on? Unfortunately it only affects the look of the image, but settings don't allow choose the film model you wish to simulate...

QuoteOriginally posted by Gravelrash Quote
I should imagine there might be copyright issues if Pentax/Ricoh were to name a brand of film they were emulating?
Maybe, but Alienskin with its Exposure (emulator for films and different vintage prints) had solved the problem successfully. But it's too time consuming shot ordinary shot, then use some software, in-camera effect is much more convenient and time-saving, imho.
05-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gravelrash Quote
Maybe. From what I can tell the custom setting just includes characteristics that are stereotypic for slide film, that being fairly high contrast and lack of shadow detail. Color response is very similar to the "natural" setting.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.
05-05-2015, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimble Quote
Not my option - like to make real stylization, I mean to stylize for a particular film with a dates of production and so on to add epoсh mood.
I would suggest that actually doing some film photography would allow you a degree of fidelity to the medium you can only dream of with a typical digital capture. It will also allow you to assess the accuracy of the various "film packs". FWIW, I shoot both film and dSLR and have found most emulations to lack subtlety.

If you mostly want to add epoch mood, you can fake it in PP, save the settings preset and call it whatever you want. The majority of quality film photographs from the last 80 years don't have any particular "epoch mood" that is traceable to medium. A big exception would be early color photography through maybe the mid-1960s. Most of what passes for epoch mood is the result of poor initial exposure and/or fading of prints and slides over time.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2015 at 04:45 PM.
05-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would suggest that actually doing some film photography would allow you a degree of fidelity to the medium you can only dream of with a typical digital capture. It will also allow you to assess the accuracy of the various "film packs". FWIW, I shoot both film and dSLR and have found most emulations to lack subtlety.

If you mostly want to add epoch mood, you can fake it in PP, save the settings preset and call it whatever you want. The majority of quality film photographs from the last 80 years don't have any particular "epoch mood" that is traceable to medium. A big exception would be early color photography through maybe the mid-1960s. Most of what passes for epoch mood is the result of poor initial exposure and/or fading of prints and slides over time.

Steve
Got your idea, very useful, thanks a lot! I have used reversal film only in 90-s and early 00-s and it was fuji velvia/provia, so early-color or vintage film look and feel are only theoretical for me. I mean, there's no any resemblance with your description of reversal films or in-camera effect - very sharp, very vivid.

As concerning shooting on film, I'm shooting too on 120-format Kiev and Yashica cameras, but some kind of vintage effect I could get only on rollei 200 cr, other reversal are very modern-looking - great color balance, vivid colors, great sharpness, wide DR.