Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

K3 Purchase Firmware Version Issue

I wish to purchase a K3. However the present problem with version 1.20 (latest) is concerning. I would prefer using 1.11 and not upgrading until a new version with problem resolved has been issued. If the camera available at my preferred stores does not have 1.11 any idea how I can get a copy as it does not appear to be available on the pentax website?

05-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your preferred store is local I would ask to check the firmware version before buying. Since the update was pushed only about a week ago I really doubt anything in stock at a retailer can have the new firmware loaded. But checking will verify.

The older version is still floating around someone posted it not that long ago.

Edit: Try here: www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k3_111.exe
05-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
I wish to purchase a K3. However the present problem with version 1.20 (latest) is concerning. I would prefer using 1.11 and not upgrading until a new version with problem resolved has been issued. If the camera available at my preferred stores does not have 1.11 any idea how I can get a copy as it does not appear to be available on the pentax website?
What is the problem with V 1.20??
05-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/293172-new-k-3-firmware-has-bug.html

05-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure the bug will be fixed eventually, but as others have said it's unlikely that current stock would be running 1.20 so you should be ok.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Nothing wrong with mine updated to 1.20, mine being the Prestige Edition (?)

Edit (as of the following day):

Have just compared 1.11 and 1.20 again, to be sure, but don't see any behavioural discrepancy. Can someone explain the said stubborn-LCD glitch?

Edit_2 (as of the following day):

Ok, I get it. The back LCD had to be OFF first. Testing, testing...

Edit_3 (as of the following day):

There indeed, the back LCD remains backlit with 1.20... Very subtle, but true. Now reverting to 1.11 once and for all, or at least until Pentax announces v 1.2X Super Ultra!

Last edited by Marathonianbull; 05-07-2015 at 07:38 AM.
05-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got a new K3 in November last year when the price just became too low to pass up. Turned out it was made in December 2013 and had f/w version 1.01 on it. I am now at f/w version 1.11 and will wait for 1.21 or whatever to upgrade it again. Works fine as is.
05-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If your preferred store is local I would ask to check the firmware version before buying. Since the update was pushed only about a week ago I really doubt anything in stock at a retailer can have the new firmware loaded. But checking will verify.

The older version is still floating around someone posted it not that long ago.

Edit: Try here: www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k3_111.exe
Thanks a lot jatrax.

I take your point about checking firmware version before buying but as I am purchasing from a high street store it might not necessarily have 1.11 loaded. Just doing a bit of belt and braces in case!

I have an Apple Mac so tried changing .exe to .zip thus: www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k3_111.zip. The .zip file when uncompressed produced a 16.8mb file fwdc220b.bin with a file date of 4 Aug 2014. The formal news from Ricoh about the issue of 1.11 was dated 22 Aug 2014. So it seems to have worked. All I need now is a trip to town to buy a K3 having first ensured that I still have enough money in the bank to pay for it!

Anyone with a Mac and a K3 out their able / want to confirm that I have got the right file?

Thanks to all who have answered,

Cheers,

LoneWolf

05-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The .zip file when uncompressed produced a 16.8mb file fwdc220b.bin with a file date of 4 Aug 2014.
Just FYI but the file is not Mac specific. Same file for Mac or Windows. But the zip wrapper is different. The Windows version comes as a self extracting .exe. As long as you have the .bin you are good to go. I usually just get the zip version anyway.

I take your point about checking firmware version before buying but as I am purchasing from a high street store it might not necessarily have 1.11 loaded. Just doing a bit of belt and braces in case!
Good point, it might very well have an older version. Now you are covered.
05-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI but the file is not Mac specific. Same file for Mac or Windows. But the zip wrapper is different. The Windows version comes as a self extracting .exe. As long as you have the .bin you are good to go. I usually just get the zip version anyway.
Useful to know.

Thanks jatrax.

Hope others have found the exchanges in this thread helpful.

Cheers,

LoneWolf
05-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #11

Thanks a lot jatrax.

I have an Apple Mac so tried changing .exe to .zip thus: www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k3_111.zip. The .zip file when uncompressed produced a 16.8mb file fwdc220b.bin with a file date of 4 Aug 2014. The formal news from Ricoh about the issue of 1.11 was dated 22 Aug 2014. So it seems to have worked. All I need now is a trip to town to buy a K3 having first ensured that I still have enough money in the bank to pay for it!

Anyone with a Mac and a K3 out their able / want to confirm that I have got the right file?

Cheers,

LoneWolf
fwdc220b.bin is the correct bin for ver. 1.11 mine was dated August 3, 2014. I just checked my downloaded file.

Larrymc
05-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Thanks a lot jatrax.

Cheers,

LoneWolf
Yes, the file will allow to upgrade & even downgrade to 1.11 (Mac OS + K-3)...
05-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

FYI, I just today received a new K-3 from B&H, and it came through with V.1.11 on it (along with a slip of paper informing the user of that), and, since (presumably) B&H's stock is at least reasonably up to date, maybe not too many new K-3 owners will have V.1.20 already installed (yet), and thus won't have to downgrade in the meantime.
05-20-2015, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #14

The LCD is the only visible bug and it really has no influence to the pictures you take. I'm on 1.20 and the AF is a bit better and CIF works too. For me the upgrade is worth it as (my subjective feeling) it helps me make better pictures (the LCD is not relevant to making good pictures). Just my 2cts
05-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I did the upgrade to 1.20 as well. The rear screen thing is a bit annoying, but not a huge issue.

While of course it's a pity the screen bug is there, if they have done useful things like tweaked the AF in v1.20, that outweighs any temporary inconvenience of the rear screen bug for me. And in daytime shooting, the problem is barely visible.