Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,389
SR and Pixel Shift Technology

I am getting the impression that the pixel shift technology will only perform when the SR is on in the camera (K3II). So if I wanted to take advantage of it while using my Sigma 150-500, supposedly I would have to shut off the lens OS and just leave the K3II SR on to take advantage of the IQ the new pixel shift technology offers. Or is the pixel shift technology possibly operating to an extent without the SR which I have not seen mentioned yet.

05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,030
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I am getting the impression that the pixel shift technology will only perform when the SR is on in the camera (K3II). So if I wanted to take advantage of it while using my Sigma 150-500, supposedly I would have to shut off the lens OS and just leave the K3II SR on to take advantage of the IQ the new pixel shift technology offers. Or is the pixel shift technology possibly operating to an extent without the SR which I have not seen mentioned yet.
It operates on a microscopic level, so I don't think the SR system is directly involved. Since pixel shifting requires the use of a tripod, both in-camera and in-lens stabilization will probably need to be disabled for it to work properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,389
Original Poster
Though I definitely am not disagreeing with your statement, "Pixel Shift Resolution by in body shake reduction function for razor sharp images with excellent detail and color reproduction" is what is stated on Amazon as a feature of the camera. I myself would want the pixel shift technology to be effective when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get.
05-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,825
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get
No. The pixel shift stuff is not going to work for that kind of shooting. With a moving camera and a fast moving subject, you will just end up with a pixel-shifted mess.

Just get a sharper lens - or improve your shooting technique.

05-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I am getting the impression that the pixel shift technology will only perform when the SR is on in the camera (K3II). So if I wanted to take advantage of it while using my Sigma 150-500, supposedly I would have to shut off the lens OS and just leave the K3II SR on to take advantage of the IQ the new pixel shift technology offers. Or is the pixel shift technology possibly operating to an extent without the SR which I have not seen mentioned yet.
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Though I definitely am not disagreeing with your statement, "Pixel Shift Resolution by in body shake reduction function for razor sharp images with excellent detail and color reproduction" is what is stated on Amazon as a feature of the camera. I myself would want the pixel shift technology to be effective when I am using my camera handheld for moving objects such as flying birds for the best IQ I can get.
Both pixel shift and the in-body SR use the same mechanism, but they are not the same thing. Until the camera is actually released into the hands of reviewers, I don't know that it is possible to say what state the camera will be in when pixel shift is in use.

All that being said, my understanding is that pixel shift is intended for on-tripod use with both camera and subject stationary. Birds in flight would not be one of the intended applications.


Steve
05-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,389
Original Poster
My Sigma 150-500 (K mount) and Pentax K5 IIS are satisfying. I was just curious as to when the pixel shift technology is going to perform as a feature. If the pixel shift technology performs on a tripod shoot in a scene at 200 shutter speed of a mountain or if it would work at 1000 shutter speed shooting a flying bird is basically the question I am posing. If it would not operate at 1000 shutter speed is a true characteristic of the pixel shift technology, then it does not. Obviously tripod only shooting only is not my only goal if I want to shoot handheld. If the feature is not going to be intended for handheld action shooting when a user is using proper settings otherwise, and/or it is limited to a tripod user as has been stated, then it would only perform in that way. I did not see it as being effective in only certain situations, when I first read about it I assumed I could look forward to possibly higher resolution levels because of it during any type of normal shooting.

---------- Post added 05-06-15 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both pixel shift and the in-body SR use the same mechanism, but they are not the same thing. Until the camera is actually released into the hands of reviewers, I don't know that it is possible to say what state the camera will be in when pixel shift is in use.

All that being said, my understanding is that pixel shift is intended for on-tripod use with both camera and subject stationary. Birds in flight would not be one of the intended applications.

Steve
Thank you Steve. That is the information I was looking for. Please note that my last post was done before I saw your answer (it was not referring to you). I agree also that until actual release of the camera and reviews, the specific performance of the pixel shift function and related information will be more available. I will be able to see any more specs I need most likely then.
05-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,008
It will most likely take multiple photos and combine them afterwards like HDR, CJ.

Likewise, you wouldn't be using HDR for birding shots because the subject moves between the first and last shots.
05-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,389
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It will most likely take multiple photos and combine them afterwards like HDR, CJ.

Likewise, you wouldn't be using HDR for birding shots because the subject moves between the first and last shots.
Thanks Clackers. I appreciate the info.

05-07-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
Junior Member
Scobra's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 34
There is - allegedly - a method whereby you can have both anti-ghosting and higher resolution, using multiple images and PhotoAcute, see here. But a bird in flight might be asking too much at this point. In the future though, as camera processors get more powerful, and pixel shifting more sophisticated, I think it will become the next logical improvement. Its just a question of combining smarter algorithms, faster processing, and quicker exposures.
05-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 74
I reckon it will use the sr to shift the sensor to take the pictures. So no there won't be sr available while the feature is used. It will also most likely be a selectable function like choosing hdr on/off.

Also, you can probably shoot as fast ss as you want, but that doesn't mean the shifting mechanism becomes faster.

I'm basing everything on current technology. So we're talking tripod and still objects.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advantage, camera, dslr, information, k-3, k3, pentax k-3, pixel, pixel shift, shift, shutter, sr, sr and pixel, steve, technology, tripod, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions re: K-3 II pixel shift and Astrotracer gazelle01 Pentax K-3 102 03-06-2017 06:23 PM
Pixel shift practical applications Spodeworld Pentax K-3 20 04-25-2015 10:01 AM
Pixel shift and bracketing Spodeworld Pentax K-3 9 04-23-2015 08:56 PM
Optical IS (in lens) vs optical SR (body sensor shift) vs DS (pixel tracking) rburgoss Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 10 10-20-2014 07:07 PM
SR and pixel level sharpness arbutusq Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-29-2006 02:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top