Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 01:48 AM   #1

K3's LCD Display (screen) is broken - or is it?

Name:  Broken screen1.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  270.4 KB

Name:  Broken screen2.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  183.6 KB

Attached images show the problem with my Pentax K-3: s DLC Display. The half of the screen appears to be a half resolution with odd horizontal lines in it.

My first reaction of course was that is my K3 dropped or something, but swear it is not. It looked like this when I took it from my protected camera bag yesterday.

I updated the firmware to the newest one (1.20) to see would it correct the problem but it didn't.

Do you have any solutions?

regards, EetuEDL

05-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be a loose wire inside or just a defective screen altogether- I'd get the camera serviced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah! According to Ricoh Imaging website Pentax production should have a 2 year guarantee, so this should be fixed by that.
Thank you for answer!
05-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wait, Since the alphanumerical characters and icons are not affected. I suspect that you have a filter turned on causing this. Check your settings. Reload your default settings. Reinstall the Pentax operating system if necessary. Before you send your camera in for service.

05-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

......................... ! Tough call....whatever "IT" is......... aint right at all !
05-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Good point Promacjoe! Because suddenly the problem disappears. It is hard to believe it, but everything looks fine now.
I re-installed the Pentax Operating system and reloaded default settings earlier, but it didnīt seem to have a direct effect.
Really weird! If anyone is struggling with the same kind of problem, let us know. I hope this wonīt happen again.
06-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How has the screen been lately?
I just had this happen to mine.
It was sitting on the desk overnight. I turned it on this morning and have the exact same issue.

I do not want to do a full reset, so sort-of good to hear that likely would not help.
I cannot do without my camera for another 8-12 week repair, so I'm hoping mine will also fix itself.

06-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EetuEDL Quote
Attachment 267909

Attachment 267910

Attached images show the problem with my Pentax K-3: s DLC Display. The half of the screen appears to be a half resolution with odd horizontal lines in it.

My first reaction of course was that is my K3 dropped or something, but swear it is not. It looked like this when I took it from my protected camera bag yesterday.

I updated the firmware to the newest one (1.20) to see would it correct the problem but it didn't.

Do you have any solutions?

regards, EetuEDL

Does it do the same thing in Live View? These are images we are seeing here. I suspect its not the view screen. BTW the latest firmware is 1.21.
06-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sadly I didn't think to try LiveView, but when I got home from work tonight the problem has "fixed itself".

Oddly, I just bought a Eye-Fi Mobi Pro card and it had locked my camera "ON" overnight. The back LCD was not on, but the top LCD was. I had to pull the batteries to resolve that. And that when I noticed the screen was all messed up on playback.

I do not know if there was a cause-effect in relation to the Mobi locking up the camera, or if this is just something that happens to the K3.
I have Firmware v1.21. Was going to revert but it sounds like it happened with prior versions as well.

Regardless, it seems to resolve itself after a while.
Not happy because it will be damned near impossible to get fixed if the shop cannot reproduce the problem and does not have it documented as a *real* and repairable issue. Most likely this will reoccur in the field at the worst possible time. I just hope it doesn't get worse.
06-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Sadly I didn't think to try LiveView, but when I got home from work tonight the problem has "fixed itself".

Oddly, I just bought a Eye-Fi Mobi Pro card and it had locked my camera "ON" overnight. The back LCD was not on, but the top LCD was. I had to pull the batteries to resolve that. And that when I noticed the screen was all messed up on playback.

I do not know if there was a cause-effect in relation to the Mobi locking up the camera, or if this is just something that happens to the K3.
I have Firmware v1.21. Was going to revert but it sounds like it happened with prior versions as well.

Regardless, it seems to resolve itself after a while.
Not happy because it will be damned near impossible to get fixed if the shop cannot reproduce the problem and does not have it documented as a *real* and repairable issue. Most likely this will reoccur in the field at the worst possible time. I just hope it doesn't get worse.
The reason I asked if you had tried it in live view was that it may be the card causing the problem rather than the screen itself. Try another card an see if it does the same thing. Make sure there in no trash in the card slot. My money is on a screwed up card rather than the screen.
06-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The reason I asked if you had tried it in live view was that it may be the card causing the problem rather than the screen itself. Try another card an see if it does the same thing. Make sure there in no trash in the card slot. My money is on a screwed up card rather than the screen.
Yeah that was one of the first things I tried. I've seen some odd posts solved by memory card issues.
But all is fine now, even with the same card/images on which the behavior was seen last night.
So definitely a camera issue.