Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Weird AWB issue just popped up

So, the short version is that I never had issue with AWB. In fact, I was always a bit surprised at how well it worked, even in tough situations. I went for a long walk with the camera on the strap, around my shoulders. I mistakenly left it turn on. I took some photos on the walk, but didn't review them as I was taking them. I got to my destination, took a few more photos, looked at them and noticed they were blueish. With the camera in the on position, it hit just right and the WB was turned to something random. No problem, I think, I'll fix in post since I shoot in RAW. Switch back to AWB and go on my way. Well, fast forward a bit and I've noticed that, since that day, the AWB is almost always wrong. I traced it back to that day. Photos before that barely changed in LR when making some WB changes, photos after that day look terrible w/o the WB changes.

I've attached 3 photos, all from pretty sunny days. The first one is before the issue. The second one is after the issue. The third is simply selecting auto WB in LR.

I'm about the to the point where I am just going to reset the camera to factory settings, but I'd rather not do that if anyone has any idea of what changed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-12-2015, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The WB settings can be tweaked to give a color cast. Go into WB, then AWB and press 'INFO'. The four way controller can
then be used to modify Blue/Green/Amber?/Magenta on a grid. Perhaps this is where your problems exists? Pressing the
Green Button on this screen will reset the WB to the center of the grid.
05-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The WB settings can be tweaked to give a color cast. Go into WB, then AWB and press 'INFO'. The four way controller can
then be used to modify Blue/Green/Amber?/Magenta on a grid. Perhaps this is where your problems exists? Pressing the
Is that a k3 specific feature?
05-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that a k3 specific feature?
I can't say. I upgraded from a K10D to the K-3 and don't recall whether the feature
was there for AWB in the K10D. Can't speak for any model in between.

05-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I can tweak the AWB on the K-50 / K-01 / Q and MX-1 - So I'd say it's a standard Pentax thing.
05-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I was looking at the histogram data from various shots after I put up this post last night and I bet you are right. When I get home, I'll try this first.
05-13-2015, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
For the record, it was the grid setting. I find it amazing that somehow I managed to the WB button, go into the grid, move the toggle all the way to the bottom corner, all with the camera resting on my side. Must be all these ab muscles. HA.
05-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbdm99 Quote
For the record, it was the grid setting. I find it amazing that somehow I managed to the WB button, go into the grid, move the toggle all the way to the bottom corner, all with the camera resting on my side. Must be all these ab muscles. HA.
Excellent! Glad you found the problem. Modern DSLRs are truly awesome in their scope of abilities,
but it does present the very real problem of having to learn and remember how to make it do what you
want.