Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 03:33 AM   #1

Hello from a New Pentax K-3 Owner + Some Questions

Hi,

Thought I'd re-introduce myself having just bought the following: Pentax K-3 ($718 new from Amazon) + Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($195 like new from ebay) + Sigma APO 70-300 Macro ($145 used like new from Amazon). Ideally, I would have bought a faster/longer lens for BIF (such as the Sigma 120-400), but I was on a really tight budget. Maybe in the future...

Strangely, when I selected the Sigma lens on Amazon, this was displayed:

Anyone know why? I assumed it was a glitch so I went ahead and ordered it anyway. In fact, according to Amazon ONLY Pentax lenses are compatible with Pentax cameras (which everyone know is not true)!

In the past I owned both the K-30 and K5IIs, so I'm not a Pentax newbie. In recent years, I've been trying out different brands (last camera was a Sony A77II), but I've concluded that it's time to come home

Couple of questions for fellow K-3 owners:

1. What are the ideal settings for BIF/fast (and erratic) moving action?
2. The DP review claimed that default JPEG sharpening "a little clumsy" and color rendition was a bit off - any advice on that?
3. Any useful tips and tricks?

The DP review also claimed that you need a really fast focusing lens to take advantage of the AF system. I found that statement rather odd, since this is true of most if not all prosumer DSLRs. Did I misunderstand?

TIA for your time,

Elchanan

Last edited by Charlie70; 05-14-2015 at 06:19 AM.
05-14-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie70 Quote
Hi,

Thought I'd re-introduce myself having just bought the following: Pentax K-3 ($718 new from Amazon) + Tamron 17-55 2.8 ($195 like new from ebay) + Sigma APO 70-300 Macro ($145 used like new from Amazon). Ideally, I would have bought a faster/longer lens for BIF (such as the Sigma 120-400), but I was on a really tight budget. Maybe in the future...

Strangely, when I selected the Sigma lens on Amazon, this was displayed:

Anyone know why? I assumed it was a glitch so I went ahead and ordered it anyway. In fact, according to Amazon ONLY Pentax lenses are compatible with Pentax cameras (which everyone know is not true)!
Happened to me when I ordered an HD 15mm 2.8 Macro. I think their lens matching algorithm is not working.

In the past I owned both the K-30 and K5IIs, so I'm not a Pentax newbie. In recent years, I've been trying out different brands (last camera was a Sony A77II), but I've concluded that it's time to come home

Couple of questions for fellow K-3 owners:

2. The DP review claimed that default JPEG sharpening "a little clumsy" and color rendition was a bit off - any advice on that?

The DP review also claimed that you need a really fast focusing lens to take advantage of the AF system. I found that statement rather odd, since this is true of most if not all prosumer DSLRs. Did I misunderstand?

TIA for your time,

Elchanan
1. (no comment)
2. Shoot RAW. You'll never go back to JPEG.
3. I only recently bought my K-3 and I'm loving it, but I don't have enough time on it yet to give any tips, lol.

Regards,
Dan
05-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Dan - mine should be arriving in the next few days. I could not afford it when it first came out, but with the recent price drop it was impossible to resist :-)
05-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Back button AF. AF-C. I prefer centre point AF, but many suggest using selectable AF points. Right eye in viewfinder and left eye open watching the action. Centre-weighted AE with -1 EV dialled in.

2. Ignore DP Review. Shoot RAW.

3. Go out and shoot. Have fun. When finances allow, get a DA*300 and 1.4xTC, or a DFA150-450.

05-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I use AFS, centre focus, shutter priority and burst mode. For BiFs be sure and turn off Shake Reduction.

QuoteQuote:
Shoot raw on the front card, jpeg on the second slot. If you don't like the jpeg, use the raw version.

QuoteQuote:
Use the extra MP to crop. Frame a little looser than you usually would for BiFs etc, or use a slightly shorter lens than you normally would. You'll still have lots of resolution.

Pay more attention to your histogram, you don't have quite as much DR to work with as a K-5. Keeping that histogram off the left boundary is a little more critical with a K-3.
05-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the back focus button. This is particularly good for me when I am using the DA 55-300. I can manually focus in the ball park and then press the AF button to fine tune it to what the camera thinks, or vice versa: AF, then fine tune. The latter is good for birds in branches. The AF system will always pick the nice sharp edges of the branches rather than the fuzzy feathers.
05-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

when I selected the Sigma lens on Amazon, this was displayed:
Anyone know why?
Yes. That tool is worthless. It was discussed on the forum not long ago. It doesn't just only recommend Pentax
branded lenses as compatible, it only recommends a total of six Pentax 'lenses', one of which is teleconverter and
the other is a 645 lens. The vast majority of Pentax branded lenses are also, apparently, incompatible.

The DP review claimed that default JPEG sharpening "a little clumsy" and color rendition was a bit off - any advice on that?
Yes, don't read DPReview, at least not for anything related to Pentax. Despite their persistent denial, it is quite apparent
that DPReview has a definitive anti-Pentax bias. DPReview is good for a laugh when you want to witness online
bickering at its finest, but otherwise it has largely become a waste of time.

It is an odd statement. See comment about DPReview above. They might have also said you need a lens
mount to take full advantage of attaching a lens or a high end computer to take advantage of your captured
images.
05-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Yes. That tool is worthless. It was discussed on the forum not long ago. It doesn't just only recommend Pentax
branded lenses as compatible, it only recommends a total of six Pentax 'lenses', one of which is teleconverter and
the other is a 645 lens. The vast majority of Pentax branded lenses are also, apparently, incompatible.

Yes, don't read DPReview, at least not for anything related to Pentax. Despite their persistent denial, it is quite apparent
that DPReview has a definitive anti-Pentax bias. DPReview is good for a laugh when you want to witness online
bickering at its finest, but otherwise it has largely become a waste of time.

It is an odd statement. See comment about DPReview above. They might have also said you need a lens
mount to take full advantage of attaching a lens or a high end computer to take advantage of your captured
images.
The oddest thing is , they really don't care shoot about how bad they are.

05-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The oddest thing is , they really don't care shoot about how bad they are.
Well, they were one of the early hubs for information on digital cameras. They got a foot in the door early,
and still maintain a very sizable presence as an online source for digital photography. I do think their arrogance
stems from a complacency that they will always have a dominant presence....

For many years, I would recommend DPReview whenever a friend, coworker or family member asked for a
camera recommendation. Not anymore. Their reviews are heavy handed and biased. Their forums are among
the most aggressive and hostile I've witnessed in 20+ years of online activity. And they stubbornly hold to that
white text on black background that is absolutely murder on the eyes. It was practical on a terminal in 1986.
It was kitsch on a website in 1998. It's nothing but annoying and unnecessary on a high-res LCD in 2015.
They really seem to be working hard to become irrelevant despite their own success.
05-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Well, they were one of the early hubs for information on digital cameras. They got a foot in the door early,
and still maintain a very sizable presence as an online source for digital photography. I do think their arrogance
stems from a complacency that they will always have a dominant presence....

For many years, I would recommend DPReview whenever a friend, coworker or family member asked for a
camera recommendation. Not anymore. Their reviews are heavy handed and biased. Their forums are among
the most aggressive and hostile I've witnessed in 20+ years of online activity. And they stubbornly hold to that
white text on black background that is absolutely murder on the eyes. It was practical on a terminal in 1986.
It was kitsch on a website in 1998. It's nothing but annoying and unnecessary on a high-res LCD in 2015.
They really seem to be working hard to become irrelevant despite their own success.
I agree, but is there another site similar to DPRevier for this type of information? I don't expect them to give a lot of Pentax info since we are a small segment of the camera world, but when they do it should be valid evaluations. By that I mean the good, the bad of what ever they are evaluating.
05-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I agree, but is there another site similar to DPRevier for this type of information? I don't expect them to give a lot of Pentax info since we are a small segment of the camera world, but when they do it should be valid evaluations. By that I mean the good, the bad of what ever they are evaluating.
I recommend Imaging Resource. Very comprehensive and unbiased, to my eye at least. They certainly give Pentax a lot of attention, on a par with all the major camera brands. Their K-3 review is here:
Pentax K-3 Review - Overview
05-17-2015, 02:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for taking the time to respond and helpful suggestions. I find it interesting that despite dpreview's seeming bias toward Canon and Nikon (the only forums to have separate entry-level and prosumer APS-C forums), they still gave the K-3 their gold award. I guess that sometimes bias gives way to common sense :-). On another topic, is there a place in this forum where users can suggest features (which may eventually find their way to Ricoh)? The reason I ask is that I thought it would be a great if there was an option to automatically disable SR above a certain user-defined shutter speed - shouldn't be too hard to implement and would be extremely convenient!