Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Over the years I've made some really crappy photos with stellar equipment and some really great photos with less than stellar equipment, and of course the opposite as well. If there is one thing I've learned photographically speaking it's usually NOT the equipment when something is really going wrong, it's me. Any new camera I get I do my homework, I read the manual several times, and I expect a learning curve. I expect some crappy shots while I am learning to use my new camera. It's par for the course, and I say that as someone who uses a camera to make her living. A lot of people think they can pick up an expensive DSLR and it will magically make perfect pictures for them all the time. It might, sometimes, in easy shooting conditions on auto, but there are going to be plenty of situations where YOU have to help it do that and if you don't have the know how, haven't taken the time to really learn the skills necessary for great photography then you're in a word, screwed.

A DSLR is a great tool, but it can be a very complicated tool, one that takes some time to learn to use properly, and that will be true of almost ANY one you can buy brand notwithstanding. Too complicated? Too much work? Then you're probably better with a good point and shoot and not going any further with your photography than low key snap shots. I can't tell you how many times I've met people at my local photo clubs who sound exactly like the OP. They buy the most expensive equipment and expect that equipment to make them look like a pro. They don't read the manuals, they don't study photography at all, they just assume the camera will do it all for them, make them look very good, sans any real work on their part. My usual and admittedly rude answer to that kind of person is to tell them to read and reread their manual and read a few books on the basics of photography and get back to me when they at least know the basics. Most of them they just smile and shrug and I just know it's not going to happen. A year or two later they're usually still popping in and complaining about their gear and what it can't do and they have no real idea of what it CAN do or how to make it do it.

FYI, it took me about 13 years to learn enough and to progress enough that I felt skilled enough to go pro and I still don't know everything and I don't pretend to. There are certain jobs like weddings that I don't touch because I know I am not skilled enough for. I don't really think I am up to doing them physically and I'm not quite sure I am up to it technically sometimes either, so I don't take those jobs. Even now I am always learning something new. I read almost every new book out there, watch a ton of videos, keep up with new training all that I can because I feel it can only benefit me and my photography. I'm getting better and better every day, but I don't expect perfection of myself or my photos. Even the best photographers do screw up sometimes. I've never met anyone with a 100% keeper rate and I don't expect I ever will. I don't even aspire to that because I think it's just unrealistic.

In the end a camera can only be as good a tool as the person behind it. If you don't know how to use it, and by that I mean more than casually scanning the guide once, then you can't expect it to take truly amazing photographs. If you do, well, that's not being very realistic, and it's not really fair to your camera because ultimately it needs YOU to bring out it's best. It simply can't do that perform at it's best unless you are informed and up to the task. Not even the most expensive FF camera out there can do that, period.
And oddly (or perversely) that is why this is such an interesting endeavor. Always something to learn, something to master.

05-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JHC...I can empathize.

When a relative needed a DSLR for her uni studies, I gave her my K-5, which was my first DSLR, and bought a K-3 because I thought a K-3 would give me better pics, even though I hadn't mastered the k-5.

Well......it has been a real learning curve and is taking time, I can tell you!

I have done a couple of courses, but the instructors usually don't know much (reading anything) about Pentax, so working out settings has been a challenge indeed.

The effort is proving worthwhile, though, as it is forcing me to learn about and begin to understand a whole range of stuff that I probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise...metering, AA filters, in camera NR, SR and all the rest.

All I can say is watch as many you-tubes as possible on set-ups and read the manual...over and over and over...and buy a good tripod...a just take pics....oh...and my K-3 likes good lenses.

Hang in there - this camera really is worth the effort!
05-18-2015, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say that I'm disappointed in the OP.

I think the comments here were not intended to be hurtful, but rather to encourage him to figure out ways to get the most out of his gear. I'm not sure what reaction he thought folks would have. "Yes sir! The k3 is a lousy camera..." But it isn't and it certainly is much more enjoyable than shooting a kx or, a kr -- albeit it is quite a bit larger than either of those cameras.

Anyway, it seems that after eight posts, the OP is done with forum. It saddens me a little because if he was honest and not a troll, this is a good place to learn and grow.
05-18-2015, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I am not really disappointed at the OP, but rather get a feeling of "well... here we go again..." Lets see if I can clear up this.

Many people in this world, including the OP, are the kind of people that thinks that the "music comes from the piano, not the pianist". It is normal to expect many people to feel that by having such and such gadget, instrument, tool, car, appliance, or whatever, automatically makes them better "performers" at any given craft for which whatever gadget was created for.

Of course, almost everyone knows that by buying a Steinway grand piano, automatically does not make you a pianist like Liberace... right? That's an easy one. But think about those office managers at a financial office, that upon bad results from the last quarter just yell: "bunch of morons.... we've just spent a million bucks on new computers and state of the art software... and this is the results you give me?"

Exactly; what this manager doesn't know (because of pure ignorance), is that having a better instrument for the trade does not make anyone "better" at that trade. They first have to take a few simple steps: 1 Learn the trade basics, 2 Learn the use of the available tools and at the end, try and be your best at the trade with your available tools.

Ask any airline pilot on what type of airplane they learned to fly. They will all answer you that it was (probably) a single engine Cessna, Piper, even a PT17 or can archaic as a Piper Cub J3. None of them learned to fly on an Airbus A340 or a Boeing 757. It was ONLY after many hours experience and several steps "upgrading" the tool of the trade (bigger airplane each step) that they got to sit at the left side of the cockpit in a Airbus A380 and at the same time, have 500 souls on board trusting you to a safe travel.

I would like the OP to answer a simple question: If you had the money (and the wish), would you buy a small airplane like a Learjet and try to fly it by yourself by just reading the "owners manual". I don't think so!

Fortunately, any error with your K3 will just (worst case scenario) make you unhappy for a few minutes. No lifes at risk nor expensive damage will happen. But as simple of complicated it may be (the K3 or any airplane), you first have to learn the craft to a level that will allow you to get the best out of your sophisticated tool (the k3 in this case).

05-18-2015, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

I think a lot of folks buy a camera with a fantasy in mind of producing great pictures. When they find out it requires effort beyond what they had planned on, the cameras end up on the shelf.

Many photography clubs are currently having problems with membership as well, i think we're on the down cycle of a hobby, but it is likely to turn around at some point. If i hadn't joined a great club, i wouldn't have been into it as much as i am today.
05-18-2015, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Living in New York / Philadelphia region, one thing I know is that everyone has a different way of communicating, and a lot of context can be lost in written text. After re-reading the original post, I would not conclude that the OP was being unreasonable, rather he/she was expressing frustration and reaching out for help.

On the other hand, I can see how the OP might interpret the some of the reply posts on this thread in a negative way, or even as personal attacks, even though I am sure that was not anyone's intention.

A few of us have offered to look into the experiences the OP is having, either by reviewing some images, or by meeting up in person, and I hope the OP takes advantage of it. But give the guy some time. Five pages in response to an issue we know virtually nothing about? I'm sure nobody is trying to drive a PF member away, but that is effectively what is happening, with all this public shaming. Let's give it a rest. Or maybe it is time for the moderators to close this thread.
05-18-2015, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's hard to take criticism constructively sometimes. But if you do it will make you a better photographer (or anything).

05-18-2015, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't speak for the OP - but this is my observation . . .

For the first six months I had my K-3 the quality of my photos declined noticeably, mostly beacuse it is (seemingly) unforgiving of motion blur at all focal lengths. I've had to practice my hand, shutter release and breathing technique to return to an expectation of high-quality, sharp photos. Thankfully I've had a small amount of firearms target range training to fall back on.

My unresearched opinion is the issue combines the relatively small form factor and the relatively high resolution sensor when compared to a K10D or K-01 (which approximates a K30/50/5 in resolution) to require attention to technique. Additionally, since I can now shoot without flash in ridiculously bad light and get amazingly noise-free shots I tend to accept lower shutter speeds than I would have formerly - say 1/15 versus 1/60. Clearly I can't shoot at 1/15.

Or maybe I'm just getting old, out of shape, and have an old man's shaky hands.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-18-2015 at 10:58 AM.
05-18-2015, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
After re-reading the original post, I would not conclude that the OP was being unreasonable, rather he/she was expressing frustration and reaching out for help.
I agree, though a full review of the OPs posting history on this site (all eight messages) seem to indicate that they are easy to frustrate. The very first sentence of their first post to this site a little over three years ago had the words "I am very disappointed..." and the third post (comment on same thread) had the words "I would be extremely hesitant about buying another Pentax." Where did I recently read this?

With any luck the OP will master their new tool and get a degree of satisfaction equal to their investment. At least I hope they do before spending additional money on other cameras/brands where more frustration is a very likely outcome.

Steve
05-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by jhc403 Quote
I did not join the forum to be ridiculed I am dropping out and saying the hell with this forum
It doesn't appear that anybody is ridiculing or ctiticizing you. However, I can't tell you how you should feel.

I can tell you about my experience of migrating from my ancient ateam powered K10D to the K3. The first omage I took was my black nylon backpack on a dark maroon ottoman, indoor backlit by a skylight above and dimly front lit from a glassdoor. The image should have looked awful but I was astonished by the exposure, detail and color accuracy. Of course, it was all downhill from that point as I had to become more familiar with the K3.
05-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #71
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Many people in this world, including the OP, are the kind of people that thinks that the "music comes from the piano, not the pianist"...
Yep - or that common praise that annoys the hell out of serious photographers - "you must have a really expensive camera".
(Not me though - I'm just pleased if anyone likes a photo I took. Happy for them to credit my K-3 )
05-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Everyone knows there was a deal-breaker problem with the K3.
I fixed mine, and never had a problem since!

I even hear that the K3II has fixed that problem!

So NOW there is no reason to not love the K3.

05-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Everyone knows there was a deal-breaker problem with the K3.
I fixed mine, and never had a problem since!

I even hear that the K3II has fixed that problem!

So NOW there is no reason to not love the K3.

As far as the K-3 II goes, no Ricoh on the back is a total deal breaker. They should have moved the Ricoh around to the front. Why hide it way down on the bottom like on the K-5?

Yes. I dared speak the name of hociR.
05-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As far as the K-3 II goes, no Ricoh on the back is a total deal breaker. They should have moved the Ricoh around to the front. Why hide it way down on the bottom like on the K-5?

Yes. I dared speak the name of hociR.
Too funny.
05-18-2015, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Let me offer this. I work in the Horsham, PA area, which is not too far from you. If you want to meet up sometime during my lunch hour at a local park (e.g. Nikesite Park or Lower Nike Park) to compare your K3 settings to mine, or try out some of my lenses (some of which are razor sharp Limiteds), just send me a PM. That will help us to figure out what the problems are.

Don't be discouraged. You have one of the best cameras, at any price.
Love your attitude of helping fellow community member. Your good karma will come back to you some day.