Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

For standard shooting, not a whole lot has progressed in terms of IQ since the days of the KX sensor. You have twice as many pixels, so you have the opportunity to get stunningly sharp images but you will see slight blur more readily in other shots that look sharp at lower resolution. In nearly all situations, I could shoot my K-01 and the K-3 and get very similar results. That doesn't make the two cameras in any way equal.

The K-3 has advanced AF, metering flexibility, sealing and durability that puts it well ahead of the KX. Its complexity can be a bit frustrating initially (especially the metering and AF design), but its solid build make it a professional-level tool. In terms of freedom from defects, it ranks right up there with the K20D in terms of initial quality among Pentax dSLRs and would match that model if not for occasional reports of floppy mirror coming mostly from the initial model run.

05-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums.
I am curious about your lenses as well. I have several average lenses that perform really well on my istDL when I moved up to the K-30 they show to be average in their of results. The K-30 seems good at showing the lenses short comings with it's higher pixel count. It gave me a reason to purchase some better glass. You may be in the same boat
05-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Closed Account

you should try this first.....
05-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A quick example of what the K-3 can do that the K-x can't.

Original
Name:  _IMG2815 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  167.8 KB

Post Processed
Name:  _IMG2815.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  191.1 KB

Another before/after

Name:  _IMG2964 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  344.0 KB

Name:  _IMG2964.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  255.4 KB

05-17-2015, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #20
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BertH Quote
you should try this first.....
that's really good advice, but it'll probably fall on deaf ears.

bad photos come from what's behind the viewfinder, not what's in front of it.
05-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

+1 on the possible user error thing.

The camera is not going to make a bad shot a good shot.

But i will say the increased resolution--all other things considered and done properly can reveal weaknesses in some lenses.

But somehow I don't think we are there yet.
05-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call it buyer's remorse, but I was a little disappointed with my my K-5IIs until I fined tuned it to take pictures they way I wanted them to look and this is coming from an 8.2 megapixel camera !

05-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #23

Original Poster
I did not join the forum to be ridiculed I am dropping out and saying the hell with this forum
05-17-2015, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

8 posts in 3 years? And just like that we're all a-holes?
05-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #25

coughTROLLcough....His first forum post "Hello my name is John I am 61 I just joined Pentax forum I have A disappointing Pentax KX. I live in the US in Lansdale, PA I am looking forward to chatting with other members"
05-17-2015, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

We don't have magic pixie dust to make your camera not "dissapointing". What we do have is suggestions to help you get more out of it. Nobody here has been mean. This is a natural process that most go through thinking that better gear means better pictures by default. We aren't making fun of you as most of us had a similar situation when we started out.

Experience shooters don't just say "it doesn't take better pictures". Experienced shooters state exactly what they don't like about a camera, such as "the AF isn't fast enough", "high ISO noise is too much", "doesn't have a multiple exposure mode", etc. Since you didn't specifically state what you didn't like it seems like you don't really know enough to know what was going around. This the gentle corrections.
05-17-2015, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If you consider the exceedingly gentle suggestions in this thread that you might need to adjust your technique to make the best use of this camera to be "ridicule," then I suggest avoiding internet fora altogether.

This one is about as polite as they come.
I guess he was expecting "yes, the K-3 is a terrible camera, I now use mine as a doorstop." type answers.
05-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #28
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jhc403 Quote
I did not join the forum to be ridiculed I am dropping out and saying the hell with this forum
A number of members have asked for you to post examples, in an effort to help sort out whatever issues that may be present.

Still others have asked questions about the lenses you are using, again in an effort to help you work this through, and in an mature discussion.

Having not responded to them, and engaged in civil discussion with them, I would make the observation that you may be giving up too soon. The thing is, internet forums will always have some degree of misunderstood communication, something that I see happening here.

So perhaps you can step to one side of those replies that you feel are ridicule, and try to work through the things about your K3 that are troubling you.

Or not.
05-17-2015, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Too bad the guy feels ridiculed. His loss. This forum is full of people that can straighten out just about any problem minus getting your camera crushed by a bulldozer.

DSLRs are not point and shoot cameras. They require some measure of skill to use. And sometimes body to body makes one change the way you function as a photographer.

Unwillingness to listen to those with constructive feedback doesn't bode well for the original poster.

Saying 'you're using that setting all wrong' is not bashing the OP. It's pointing out an obvious user error that has little to do with the equipment. It could be something as little as 'manual lenses don't work on my camera' to whatever... I've seen it dozens of times... 'go to menu XYZ and put this there and it will work'... only to find out the camera really didn't suck after all.
05-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess he was expecting "yes, the K-3 is a terrible camera, I now use mine as a doorstop." type answers.
I used mine as a hammer the other day. The magnesium alloy chassis makes it great for pounding those 16 penny nails in fast and deep.

Oh, wait, I don't have a K3.

But the K5IIs is a great camera.