Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 04:59 AM   #1

Dissapointed in K-3

I recently purchased a K-3 and I am really disappointed in it. While it feels well built I am not happy with the results I get it take no better pictures than my with my KX. In low light it is better than the KX. Most of my lenses are Pentax with the exception of 3 Sigma 24mm 2.8 40-80mm 3.5 400mm5.6. I have shot with some of same lenses Sigma and Pentax on both cameras. The K-3 does not perform any better. I have contacted Pentax support and they were very helpful . I have been a Pentax owner for many years My MX was old reliable and still works . I have to live with this so It just makes me very skeptical about buying Pentax again

05-17-2015, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's just a camera, and there's always a chance you're making a correctable mistake, but if you really want help, post some pictures and tell us what you think is wrong with them.
05-17-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sardonic response:
You should go get a Nikon D810.

Less sardonic response:
In the good light, most any camera will take good photos and you won't find it that impressive going from on to the other. What the k-3 gives over a k-x is the ability to take better photos in suboptimal conditions (low-light, hard focusing situations, etc). It's not a magic camera that magically makes your photos better by magic.
05-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jhc403 Quote
I recently purchased a K-3 and I am really disappointed in it. While it feels well built I am not happy with the results I get it take no better pictures than my with my KX. In low light it is better than the KX. Most of my lenses are Pentax with the exception of 3 Sigma 24mm 2.8 40-80mm 3.5 400mm5.6. I have shot with some of same lenses Sigma and Pentax on both cameras. The K-3 does not perform any better. I have contacted Pentax support and they were very helpful . I have been a Pentax owner for many years My MX was old reliable and still works . I have to live with this so It just makes me very skeptical about buying Pentax again
The K-3 has a steeper learning curve for sure, and it's more picky with technique. What lenses are you using?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Speaking from experience, the K-3 is certainly a different beast from the K-x, or even the K-5. It feels different, it performs different. But it is a great camera, capable of great images, probably even with the same gear you have used on the K-x.

It simply takes time to get used to the K-3 once you've become very familiar with another camera. Just stick with it.

As a 'little brother' to the K-3, the K-x is still useful to have around. I still enjoy using it, particularly for it's light and compact form factor.
05-17-2015, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. It is possible that there are some issues with technique. Biggest thing you should see is improved resolution -- that is to say you can either print bigger or crop more. If you aren't able to do that, then you need to figure out why. It is definitely harder to hand hold 24 megapixels than 12 megapixels.

If there is any question, take a photo with your kx stopped down to f5.6 and on a tripod and then take the same photo with the K3 with the same settings. Look at both photos at 100 percent and you should see quite a bit more detail.

In the end, the reason to go for the K3 is not just about the resolution (although it is there), it is about the silky smooth and quiet shutter, the excellent build, the weather sealing, two e dials, the frame rate, two card slots and all the other improvements that have come along since the kx (it even has visible auto focus points in the viewfinder). Maybe those things don't matter to you, but I think they are as much a reason to upgrade as anything else and they make the shooting experience more enjoyable.

But certainly it is reasonable to go with a D7200 and see if you see more improvement in your image quality with that camera.
05-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adam asked a good question, what lenses are you using. The Sigma 24 f2.8 mini wide II is a good lens, the sq 39-80 f 3.5 not so much and the 400 5.6 non-apo, non-telemacro are not good performers. I hope ur pentax lenses are a bit better, sigmas suffer from front back focusing as well worth testing the accuracy of them.
05-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
Forum Member

I also upgraded from k-x to k-3 and would like to know what do you mean by "better" pictures?

What is not better in your pictures and it should be? I really just want to know, my English isn't good so maybe this sounds to offensive questioning.

There are so many things you should read, practice before you take your first photos.

Disable AA filter (sharper photos), shoot RAW if you can, watch you shutter speed while hand holding (24 mpx less forgiving then 12 mpx)

To me, first thing I noticed that is much better is build quality, then features (many of them not in k-x), then autofocus (faster, more confident), then picture quality (dynamic range and color depth, noise is better but not that much, k-x has great sensor noise-wise), even battery life is better on k-3

K-x is lighter, also good ergonomics, smaller and that's it.

05-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Your k-x is an entry level DSLR camera, whereas the k-3 is an advanced level camera. There are lots of settings/understanding involved in handling the k-3 vs the k-x. If you can show us the photo of what you think is bad or wrong, perhaps we can help you to sort out what can be corrected to get better photos.
05-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 has a steeper learning curve for sure, and it's more picky with technique. What lenses are you using?
Maybe your right I need to learn more about the use of the K-3. As far as my lenses I have gotten great results with the KX . I am going to learn more and in a future date post a thread again about my experience with the K-3
05-17-2015, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #11

You were disappointed with your K-X, and now you are disappointed again with Pentax K-3. So you are double disappointed in the last 3 years.
Perhaps you need a camera with fixed lens such as Ricoh GR, and like everyone else suggestion, please post some pics so we can give a better suggestion.
05-17-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Maybe your right I need to learn more about the use of the K-3. As far as my lenses I have gotten great results with the KX . I am going to learn more and in a future date post a thread again about my experience with the K-3
Well....I hated mine , bad mouthed it , picked it apart , bitched about it , cursed it , let it sit long periods of time without use......finally I realized it was a great camera and all the errors were me !
Get your settings right , learn the camera , and after a while you will love it just like all the rest of us. If you don't end up liking the K3....you wont really like any Camera..
BTW.....welcome to the Forum.
05-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

There are a few settings to turn off, such as the NR one, and the shake reduction can be a bit touchy, but other than that it will take pretty well the shot you tell it to.
05-17-2015, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

jhc403

First off, welcome aboard. I shot film for over 40 years before finally going digital in May of 2012. I purchased a K5 and took some of the crappiest photos ever. In fact I went through Yellowstone in 2013 and most of the shots were downright embarrassing. This was my first real experience with an auto everything camera and I got real sloppy. The results showed it too. So I read up more on this forum and asked some questions.

Then I did things like simply sitting in my living room taking shots under various scenarios. I also did the same outside and tested every lens I owned, All were manual focus and some over 40 years old. I found some gems and some dogs. Plus I played will a lot of settings etc. My "breakthrough" finally came when I mounted my SMC Takumar screw mount 55mm f.18 lens on the camera. Suddenly everything just came into play. I learned that I actually like the camera.

Since then I have acquired a K5-IIs and a K3. As mentioned above, the K3 has a bit of a learning curve even if you are familiar with the K5/K5-IIs cameras. To an old timer like me these cameras simply are way to complicated. It is easy to leave a setting turned on when you do not want it to be etc.

When I rule the world. the premier Pentax full frame camera will have needle metering, a mechanical DOF preview button and a micro prism ring around the split image viewfinder. It would however also have what one green seting called the PHD setting. PHD meaning Push Here Dummy.

Last edited by gaweidert; 05-18-2015 at 04:06 AM.
05-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I recently purchased a K-3
Oops! Too late for you to join
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...re-thread.html
and I am really disappointed in it. While it feels well built I am not happy with the results I get it take no better pictures than my with my KX.
I take that comment more as praise for the K-x than as a criticism of the K-3.

A couple of days ago, I needed a really light, small, setup,
and just put a DA 40 XS (stolen from a K-01)
on a K-x that's old enough to start school.
Within the limitations of 12 MP and 12 bits of color depth,
the results were truly amazing.

But once you get to explore your K-3,
I'm sure you'll learn to appreciate what it can do for you.