Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Grainy Instant Review?

Hi all

Have a quick question about the playback of the K-3. I've had the Prestige Edition for around 30 days or so, give or take and there's one thing that stands out about it that I haven't seen mentioned before and haven't seen in search.

Whenever I take pictures is it normal that instant reviews should look grainy initially for a half second and then all of a sudden clear up? I'm always questioning my ISO until I realize I'm shooting as low as 100 ISO..

Even when hitting the playback button there's an initial grainy look to it then clears up, almost as if it needs extra time to load the picture. I have all corrective settings set to off and shoot the highest quality jpeg + raw.

Is this normal? I have a K-5, K-7 and Q and neither of those cameras behave this way, first time noticing this on my K-3. Heck, even when I used to own a K200d and K100d Super I never noticed this.

I'm currently using a 64gb sandisk 90mbps pro extreme. Same card on the K-5 doesn't replicate this behavior either. I've tried 64gb 60mbps as well and same thing.

This is driving me crazy until I can confirm this is an issue with me or if this is normal.

Thanks in advance.

05-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Hi all

Have a quick question about the playback of the K-3. I've had the Prestige Edition for around 30 days or so, give or take and there's one thing that stands out about it that I haven't seen mentioned before and haven't seen in search.

Whenever I take pictures is it normal that instant reviews should look grainy initially for a half second and then all of a sudden clear up? I'm always questioning my ISO until I realize I'm shooting as low as 100 ISO..

Even when hitting the playback button there's an initial grainy look to it then clears up, almost as if it needs extra time to load the picture. I have all corrective settings set to off and shoot the highest quality jpeg + raw.

Is this normal? I have a K-5, K-7 and Q and neither of those cameras behave this way, first time noticing this on my K-3. Heck, even when I used to own a K200d and K100d Super I never noticed this.

I'm currently using a 64gb sandisk 90mbps pro extreme. Same card on the K-5 doesn't replicate this behavior either. I've tried 64gb 60mbps as well and same thing.

This is driving me crazy until I can confirm this is an issue with me or if this is normal.

Thanks in advance.
The camera does this in RAW, not JPEG or RAW+. Perfectly normal but slightly annoying

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera does this in RAW, not JPEG or RAW+. Perfectly normal but slightly annoying
Slightly annoying yes. Wonder why my other cameras don't do this though....

If they do, then I figure they're more subtle than the K-3 is.

Cheers
05-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Cheers
I think it's due to the higher resolution. It actually started out on the K-50 and K-30 in live view, where the camera would lower the resolution on the screen during AF, likely to spare more processing power for the autofocus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
almost as if it needs extra time to load the picture
Probably the main issue. If you are shooting RAW, a 24MP camera has, after all, a lot of data to process and bring to screen - about 30MB for a DNG, depending on ISO.

Having said that, my K-3 doesn't really have the issue you describe. Not that I've noticed, anyhow.

Are you running the most up-to-date K-3 firmware? There are often lots of performance updates of various kinds in there, including to card reading, so it's worth doing.

It may also pay to re-format all your SD cards in-camera, just to make sure there are no performance issues caused by the card. There may be some file system issues with your SD cards, especially if you have 64GB SDXC cards that use exFAT, but have had them formatted by devices (eg other cameras, card-readers etc) that don't properly support that.
05-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

My K10D was that way too. I think that the initial display may be the JPEG thumbnail and that it is replaced immediately by the in-camera RAW conversion.

Steve
05-18-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-30 also does the same thing. I've assumed that it shows a quick & dirty preview at first, then replaces it with a higher quality preview as soon as it can.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-18-2015 at 05:57 AM.
05-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Are you running the most up-to-date K-3 firmware?

It may also pay to re-format all your SD cards in-camera, just to make sure there are no performance issues caused by the card. There may be some file system issues with your SD cards, especially if you have 64GB SDXC cards that use exFAT, but have had them formatted by devices (eg other cameras, card-readers etc) that don't properly support that.
Camera was preloaded with 1.11 and thanks to the forum I won't be putting 1.20 on it

Also, I always format the card in camera.

I've just learned to accept that this is normal behavior for the camera. I'm going to just tell myself that 14 bit compared to 12 bit is the reason. I'll leave this "issue" alone now and just accept it as a slightly annoying quirk. That and a Nikon D7100 buddy says his camera is even slower than mine when loading images from an Extreme Pro as well..

So I'm happy... happier anyway lol

05-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Seems like something that could possibly be resolved with a firmware update, but that would beg the question of why haven't they fixed it by now if they could, so maybe not. If they were known for being more on the ball when it comes to firmware updates, I might feel a little more sure on the matter.
05-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers

My K3 immediately gives sharp image Both the play back button and instant review.
I shoot RAW
I have firmware 1.11 and use two 16 MB Sandisk Extreme plus memory cards
Absolutely no grainy pictures for a moment

Greetings Crooski
05-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
use two 16 MB Sandisk Extreme plus
That's what I use, and have no instant review speed problems either.

I think the use of 64GB SDXC [exFAT], as opposed to 16GB SDHC [FAT32] cards, might be somehow connected to the problem. The K-3 is supposed to support SDXC I, but it all depends on the card quality and the vendors implementation of the SDHC specifications. Some cards are also just damaged or even counterfeit sometimes.

The OP might find it worth testing a <32GB SDHC card like a Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro in the K-3 to see if it works more responsively.
05-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This has gotten interesting. I hope somebody can test with multiple cards, and report back. Surely some of you K-3 owners without the problem have some older, slower SD cards you could throw in to answer the question in a matter of moments.
05-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

This is probably the same reason my K-3 RAW shots looked grainy in Photoshop until I found the setting and nuked it. The image was rendered, then given a bit of sharpening to look nice, but due to the high resolution that act of sharpening introduces visible grain that doesn't actually exist in the photos themselves.

In my case its not so much grain in the K-3 review, its any time theres any sort of moire going on. Shoot a brick wall from a distance, or a steel grate, or anything like that and you can see the camera adjust itself to eliminate the moire from the preview.

Note that this moire also doesn't actually exist (usually) in the actual image, its just when the shot is displayed on the camera's LCD.

In my case the time between initial wonkiness and the correction is maybe a half second if that, so you have to be watching for it. I use a pair of 32GB class 10 SanDisk Ultras.