Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-22-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II and the GPS logging function

I need to know if the position logging function in K-3 II is still going to work if the camera is turned off (by the power switch) or in standby-mode (powered down). As the max log time depend on the log interval time, I suppose there is a small buffer memory in the gps unit which could be used to save positions even if the camera is turned off.

Does anyone know this?

I would also like to know if the gps is faster to start compared to o-gps1. If o-gps1 is turned on, but in standby-mode because the camera is off, it still take several seconds to be ready when you press the shutter to wake up your camera. It would be interesting to know if the logging function makes the inbuilt gps available instantly as it is after all continuously logging positions.

05-22-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What logging function? Is that something new in the K3II?

Edit: Never mind, I found it.
06-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm bumping this as more users now have the K-3 II and probably know how it works.
06-11-2015, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I'll continue to use my smart phone for logging a GPS track. I also have off-line maps on there that help me navigate so I'm using it anyway. There are many apps (The Traveler, SityTrail, ...) that offer logging with many additional features a camera cannot provide.

The day a camera will also have apps and maps, that might change, but not sooner I think... Until then, the GPS coordinates from the images will map nicely onto these tracks for reference.

Wim

06-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can program the gps logging function to take readings at different time intervals
03-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I need to know if the position logging function in K-3 II is still going to work if the camera is turned off (by the power switch) or in standby-mode (powered down). As the max log time depend on the log interval time, I suppose there is a small buffer memory in the gps unit which could be used to save positions even if the camera is turned off.

Does anyone know this?

I would also like to know if the gps is faster to start compared to o-gps1. If o-gps1 is turned on, but in standby-mode because the camera is off, it still take several seconds to be ready when you press the shutter to wake up your camera. It would be interesting to know if the logging function makes the inbuilt gps available instantly as it is after all continuously logging positions.
I took my new K3 II on a trip last September and found when I returned, there was only 2 GPS tracking log files. One when I started the trip and was playing with the function, and another when I was returning from my trip while on the plane returning home which was cut short somehow. I was hoping I could find more information on how to use this function on this forum but this entry is all I can find and it has no reply's as if no one out there has ran into this yet?

The best I can tell, is you must save the log file before you turn off the camera. Which makes no sense to me as the GPS mode was left on for the hole trip both while the camera was on or off. Why have this mode, if the file is not saved when you turn the camera off? The other thing that might be happening is, when the camera is turned back on, the log file is truncated or deleted for a new one, with the same name, were recording starts a new. This doesn't make sense to me either because digital cameras are smart enough to create a new file with any new image with a sequential number tact onto the end of the name of the file.

Does anybody have an answer for me and the guy who originally posted this question? I would sure like to have my own running log of where I've been without relying on things like google maps.
03-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #7

I think this is how it works. You set the time limit for how long it will log and then start the logging function. It will log for that time even if you turn the camera off. You can stop and save the log before it has run for the programmed time.

03-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

+1 on GSWayne message. You can set the frequency of logging and the total time to record (max 24 hrs). The maximum time depends on the frequency of logging.

Intervals: 5, 10, 15, 30 and 60 seconds
Duration: 1 hour to 24 hours.
Example: max logging time of about 10 hours at a 5 second interval, 20 hours at 10 seconds. Approximately.

John
08-20-2016, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
GPS Logging disabled issue

I recently spent a week to find out why I have GPS Logging option totally disabled in menu (like grey unselectable entry). Here's the solution for anyone who would have this problem.

Issue: Unable to activate GPS logging
Reason: You were unlucky to purchase on of the "GPS-logging-disabled-region" version of camera, mine was from China Mainland official reseller.
Solution: Change your camera's region code.
Warning: that could lead to warranty void.

Step by step (pictures here):

1. Format the SD-card;
2. Open Notepad, paste the text «[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]» (without the quotation marks with brackets) and save it on a memory card under the name 00077980.570 (extension should be .570 instead of .txt);
3. Open the notebook, and save the empty file called «DEVELOP.MOD» on the same SD-card;
4. Insert the card into the SD slot of the first chamber, and closing the slot cover turn the camera on.
5. You will see the developer menu
6. Down arrow to select REGION CODE, and the arrows left and right to switch the code to <01>, and click OK;
7. Pull out the memory card and remove it from the files that we created in the first steps.

You're done. As a bonus, you'll get the full selection of languages, instead of having Chinese/Korean/English.