Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TAV Mode Query

I have recently been playing with TAV mode because I believe it could be useful in certain circumstances.

I have ISO Auto set to 100-3200 but when the aperture and shutter speed combination would overexpose the ISO will not go below 200 even when the 200 is flashing.
I have tried the same thing on my K10D with ISO set to 100-800 and it happily goes down to 100.

I have read the manual and looked at all the settings related to ISO and can't see anything that would help. Am I missing something here? Any ideas?

05-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you have something like highlight or shadow compensation enabled?

And yes, TAv mode, a Pentax specialty, is quite useful and one that needs to be employed often!
05-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When "Highlight Correction" is "On", the minimum sensitivity is set to ISO 200.
05-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
When "Highlight Correction" is "On", the minimum sensitivity is set to ISO 200.
Ah yes, that was it. Thanks, guys. I knew someone on the forum would know the answer. This is such a valuable resource.

---------- Post added 05-24-2015 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Do you have something like highlight or shadow compensation enabled?

And yes, TAv mode, a Pentax specialty, is quite useful and one that needs to be employed often!
Yes, that's what it was. Some of my friends are amazed by some of the great features on my Pentaxes. And I keep telling them about the things they don't have.

05-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

TAV mode is what I use almost all of the time when I shoot outdoors. Indoors with a flash head Manual mode is useful.

Enjoy the weekend.
05-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
TAV mode is what I use almost all of the time when I shoot outdoors. Indoors with a flash head Manual mode is useful.

Enjoy the weekend.
Interesting. I use it indoors to prevent the shutter speeds from going too low. I also use with a flash and ND filter to do fill-in flash with large apertures outdoors. I set TAv to 1/250, enable HSS, and dial the NDX filter to hit the ISO between 80 and 200.
05-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using this mode to capture bird in flight in my K-S1. Shutter speed set to 3000 with max. Aperture. ISO auto to 1600, noticed the iso will change accordingly to the lighting condition.
05-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Interesting. I use it indoors to prevent the shutter speeds from going too low. I also use with a flash and ND filter to do fill-in flash with large apertures outdoors. I set TAv to 1/250, enable HSS, and dial the NDX filter to hit the ISO between 80 and 200.
Use of it can depend on light that is present. Outdoor fill-in flash would be an option depending on subject proximity. Using it indoors also is an option depending on lighting conditions, and on user preference. With the flash and umbrella lighting, I have used Manual mode to have control over portrait conditions. I tried using TAV and flash with artificial lighting and had some success, but found Manual mode gave me the results I preferred. I also have used HSS on occasion. For example, I used my AF360FGZ set to HSS when shooting hummingbirds in a group of flowers that was surrounded with large trees. I used my TAV mode then and came up with some nice shots at a good ISO. That type of shooting, with the sunlight varying naturally is where the TAV mode was useful. Other than a situation like that, I use TAV for shooting when I am outdoors without a flash for most shooting. When indoors using controlled lighting, I have found a flash with Manual mode a useful combination. Of course, as per situation, TAV may come in useful in many situations, including indoors, depending on light availability and user preference.

07-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Guys, I have a separate query with TAv mode. I shoot with this mode most of the time. Just wondering if there is a way to use this mode with Manual Lenses. My K-5 Automatically switches to Av mode whenever I mount my Manual Lenses. It would be nice if we could select the F-stop using our lens Aperture ring and just have the Camera work out the ISO for us. My Canon bodies work really well like this - is there a setting I have missed on my K-5 for manual lenses?
07-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that Highlight Compensation can be set to Auto, and I have never seen it trigger on the K-3 unless the scene would blow out the highlights significantly. If anything the profile is a bit too conservative and you might still get some blown highlights - so you might still need to utilize some exposure compensation - up to -0.7 in the highest dynamic range situations. In my experience, it doesn't make sense to set the HC on either of the other options; set to Off you surely will experience significant blown highlights in some situations (even in RAW shooting); set to On you will be adding some (marginal) shadow noise at times when the adjustment isn't needed.