QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Just download and install. I always get mine from Japan for my "Swedish" K-3
Great, thanks a lot Tjompen!

05-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Of course the AF is faster, it always is. No matter what the fimware actually fixes the AF get a little bit faster, or more accurate. Placebo anyone?
THAT could be totally right.. haha.. perhaps AF is the first thing that we check when a new firmware comes out so we hope for accuracy and speed, and perhaps nothing changed with this from one firmware to another.. BUT, our mind thinks that it is.
05-28-2015, 03:49 AM   #18

Try running dust alert i have two k3s dust alert now not completing one one of them
05-28-2015, 04:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
THAT could be totally right.. haha.. perhaps AF is the first thing that we check when a new firmware comes out so we hope for accuracy and speed, and perhaps nothing changed with this from one firmware to another.. BUT, our mind thinks that it is.
I upgraded from v1.11 to v1.21 and the AF really feels snappier and it is NOT placebo effect

05-28-2015, 04:19 AM   #20

Worked in manual mode now working in all modes same thing happened to one other on pentaxuser
05-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whatsthisbuttondo Quote
Worked in manual mode now working in all modes same thing happened to one other on pentaxuser
Sorry, but K-3 has always worked in manual mode and all the other modes. Or are you talking about something else?
05-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatsthisbuttondo Quote
Just run dust alert on my K-3. Works fine. I am using the K-3 Silver if that matters....

05-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #23

Dust alert would not work in in av,tv worked in manual mode then it started to work in all modes. New k3 1.21 firmware iwasnt the first person it happened to hopefully the last though
05-28-2015, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
perhaps AF is the first thing that we check when a new firmware comes out so we hope for accuracy and speed, and perhaps nothing changed with this from one firmware to another.. BUT, our mind thinks that it is.
I do know that my car always runs better after a car wash, too...

More on topic, the AF does seem perhaps "a bit faster" (LOL), but the true test (and the biggest change I'd be hoping for) would be if it also "hunts in the wrong direction" less often with my 55-300... (I'm not expecting this, just hoping...)
05-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Of course the AF is faster, it always is. No matter what the fimware actually fixes the AF get a little bit faster, or more accurate. Placebo anyone?
I'm on 1.11. I could record some AF racking tests before and after, and some infinity to close snaps before and after tonight.
05-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm on 1.11. I could record some AF racking tests before and after, and some infinity to close snaps before and after tonight.
Racking tests won't show anything. I have been shooting 1.20 for a while and there is definitely a difference. Yesterday I was on a boat shooting wildlife, and I was able to get nice sharp shots. It is hard to define since almost all the corner cases where I had difficulty are hard to repeat, but pre 1.20 it was easy to get in front of the processing decision loop in the af module. They have moved the edge giving me more keepers than previously.

It will be interesting to try the 1.21 to see if there were further changes. It could be that they rolled out major rewrites in a couple of releases.
05-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Racking tests won't show anything. I have been shooting 1.20 for a while and there is definitely a difference. Yesterday I was on a boat shooting wildlife, and I was able to get nice sharp shots. It is hard to define since almost all the corner cases where I had difficulty are hard to repeat, but pre 1.20 it was easy to get in front of the processing decision loop in the af module. They have moved the edge giving me more keepers than previously.

It will be interesting to try the 1.21 to see if there were further changes. It could be that they rolled out major rewrites in a couple of releases.
If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that the k-3 put more power to the SDM motors, so a racking test would show if that's true or not.

But that being said, I'd do both the racking test and the infinity to close lock.
05-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before I update to 1.21 has anyone ever experienced a firmware release alter the AF adjustment settings ? I've fine tuned my lenses, and I don't want to bother doing it again unless I have to. I'm currently happy on 1.11, but if the AF has really (?) become a tad snappier/accurate, maybe I'd benefit on the odd occasion - and of course there's all those minor tweaks we're not told about that may help a little. My limited experience with upgrades suggest the AF doesn't get changed, but I've only upgraded the firmware occasionally...

Thanks
05-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Works great, without the LCD lighting bug, and the focus buttons on my new 150-450 also now work. Woo hoo!!
Where did you get the lens? I didn't think the 150-450 was available in Australia yet.
05-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #30

I held off on the update after reading of the bug,but I have just updated to 1.21 and everything seems good.