Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for cleaning a dust spot

I seem to have a dust spot on, I think, my focusing screen. It shows up no matter what lens I use, but does NOT show up in any photos or live view. I should just leave it but it is pretty large and distracting and I worry about it moving around. Is there any easy way I can clean it or should I take it somewhere?

05-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use a rocket blower to try and dislodge it. But if it is on the focusing screen then it is an annoyance only. And often you end up just living with it.
05-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Use a rocket blower to try and dislodge it.
Yes. If it's on the bottom of the focus screen (i.e., inside the mirror chamber), maybe all it needs is just some upwardly aimed air (?).
05-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It is possible to remove the screen but if you touch it you will a fingerprint that will haunt you forever or a scratch that will enoy you. It is very fragile and made of plastic, not glass as I thought cleaning it with alcohol and got a melted focusing screen as a thank you. A new one was bought...

Blowing hard into the opening may cause dust to find it´s way up into the prism chamber so blow gently when cleaning.

05-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Use a tweezer to remove the focussing screen and the hold it on the edges between your thumb and for finger, make sure you don't touch the face.
05-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dust is most likely on the bottom of the screen. Jet blower is the way to go.
05-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not got spots but do appear to have a few hairs on this screen - any pointers to more specific info on how to access / remove the screen to clean it?

Last edited by jeallen01; 05-30-2015 at 02:46 PM.
05-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Not got spots but do appear to have a few hairs on this screen - any pointers to more specific info on how to access / remove the screen to clean it?
Start with a rocket blower. Remove the lens and holding the camera so that the opening is down gently blow into the focusing screen area. Most times that is all it takes.

Removing the screen to clean is NOT recommended unless all other efforts have failed. The screen is very soft and easily damaged. Getting it back in and aligned properly is not all that hard but it is fiddly and not usually necessary to clean dust from the screen.

05-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Start with a rocket blower. Remove the lens and holding the camera so that the opening is down gently blow into the focusing screen area. Most times that is all it takes.

Removing the screen to clean is NOT recommended unless all other efforts have failed. The screen is very soft and easily damaged. Getting it back in and aligned properly is not all that hard but it is fiddly and not usually necessary to clean dust from the screen.
Thanks - I'll remember that when I get around to the cleaning.