Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to disable the 4-way controller?

I think the answer is no, but it sure would be nice to add this in a firmware update, to be able to turn the 4-way controller off to prevent random changes in WB or exposure mode etc. due to the camera back bouncing against your body when hiking or even just walking around the city.

06-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there is a way to turn it off. However, you could leave it in AF point selection mode and just press OK button to reset the focus point which would be quicker than going through various modes make sure they are all correct.
06-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
I think the answer is no, but it sure would be nice to add this in a firmware update, to be able to turn the 4-way controller off to prevent random changes in WB or exposure mode etc. due to the camera back bouncing against your body when hiking or even just walking around the city.
I agree this is a problem, though I think it would be enough to simply require a confirmation step before changing some settings (WB, custom mode, flash).

Steve
06-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You could make a little ring to create a raised bumper around the controller so it wouldn't happen from bumping your body or other flatish surfaces. My Canon S90 needed something like that to keep its little spinning rear wheel (which surrounds its 4-way controller) under control.

06-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... it would be enough to simply require a confirmation step before changing some settings (WB, custom mode, flash).
Yeah, that would work too. Could just be an option in the custom menu to require a double press of the OK button to change settings using the 4-way.
06-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Given how fast the camera turns on -- you could just turn it off. That's what I usually do.

My problem isn't the 4 way control, it's the front dial on the battery grip. I was at a poorly lit show, in TAv mode, and realized partway through that my shutter speed was set to something ridiculous, because the front dial kept getting moved when i let the camera drop. (some of the photos were actually salvageable despite the crazy high ISO, granted they were grainy black and whites before they were usable, but better than nothing).
06-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I am really hoping that this is the problem I have encountered with my K3, rather than some impending motherboard failure. Yesterday, when I attempted to take a spontaneous picture of my dog in a humorous pose, I missed the moment because the 2-second delay had somehow been engaged (I rarely use it, so I know it hadn't been set). And last week the Hi Speed Continuous mode seemed to set itself, which I posted here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/296330-k...ml#post3265580.

I carry the camera on a sling strap, but normally hold it with my shooting hand rather than let it dangle. Of course, there are times when I need both hands for some other task, so dangle it does (and hits my fat gluteus maximus). Maybe that's why I'm sometimes called a Dumb A$$ !
06-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

But isn't the camera off if you've just got it on your body on a strap? (I turn it on with the same motion as I raise it -- only takes a second to turn on.) I've never had this happen except from fumbling fingers when I was actually trying to change a setting...

06-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even if you can disable the controller off from the manual, you will not be able to activate it without a 4-way controller to navigate the manual. -- It will have to be a hard button/switch.
06-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But isn't the camera off if you've just got it on your body on a strap? (I turn it on with the same motion as I raise it -- only takes a second to turn on.) I've never had this happen except from fumbling fingers when I was actually trying to change a setting...
I guess I will need to develop this habit. I've always been reluctant to do so, lest I might miss a split-second opportunity. But age takes away one's ability to react quickly, so perhaps it's time be sensible or at least realistic.
06-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I never turn the camera off when I am out and about. Turning it off resets exposure comp, shooting mode etc as I want it to. Always starts with the same base line. I let it fall a sleep and carry the camera lens down. This way the buttons are not touched and my settings for the current light stays as is.
06-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Turning it off resets exposure comp, shooting mode etc as I want it to.
Have you set the Menu 'Memory' settings to remember?
Determines which settings to save when the power is turned off.
06-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Have you set the Menu 'Memory' settings to remember?
Determines which settings to save when the power is turned off.
I have configured the memory so that it forgets drive mode, exposure comp... well most things except ISO, flash comp and numbering.
That way I know the starting point everytime I start the camera. Also when I have exposure comp set and want to reset fast I just turn off and on and I am at "zero again. Just my way of doing it...

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 06-02-2015 at 10:48 AM.
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have configured the memory so that it forgets drive mode, exposure comp... well most things except ISO, flash comp and numbering.
Thanks for the clarification! You almost created the basis for a new "Internet Truth" that turning off a K-3 causes all settings to baseline! The next thing would be a flurry of help requests on the subject.

Steve
06-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to say, turning mine off doesn't reset anything.