Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Learning Curve?

I've decided the K-3 will be my upgrade of choice, coming from a K-30.

I'm wondering who else made the jump from a K-30 and what the expected learning curve should look like.

I'm assuming there will be quite a list of features and overall performance I will need to get used to before I am happy with the K-3?
Or those of you that upgraded form K-30, did you just turn on the K-3 and were simply amazed from the first shutter release?

BTW, I haven't purchased the K-3 yet. Funds need to be appropriated first

Just want to be prepared for the transition.

Cheers!

06-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

I'm wondering who else made the jump from a K-30 and what the expected learning curve should look like.

I'm assuming there will be quite a list of features and overall performance I will need to get used to before I am happy with the K-3?
Or those of you that upgraded form K-30, did you just turn on the K-3 and were simply amazed from the first shutter release?

Cheers!
I came from a K-5, but button-wise, there were still a lot of things to learn and get used to. But I like some changes. The digital AF button means you can change your AF from Single to Continuous just by changing user modes. I think the bigger learning curve is the insane quality of the 24MP without the AA filter. You have to understand that every flaw in your lenses and technique are going to be magnified.

In my opinion, the 18-55 kit lens wasn't cutting it on the 14MP K-20D, and certainly not on my K-5. You have to have good glass to go with this great camera. The new 16-85 seems like the new APS-C kit lens to get.

Additionally, I feel like the sensor can resolve so much information, that if you aren't perfectly focused or have any motion blur, the picture looks like crap, whereas with the 16 MP K-5 sensor you could get away with a tiny bit of blur. The lower resolution and AA filter could hide some flaws. Not so with the K-3.
06-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I came from a K-5, but button-wise, there were still a lot of things to learn and get used to. But I like some changes. The digital AF button means you can change your AF from Single to Continuous just by changing user modes. I think the bigger learning curve is the insane quality of the 24MP without the AA filter. You have to understand that every flaw in your lenses and technique are going to be magnified.

In my opinion, the 18-55 kit lens wasn't cutting it on the 14MP K-20D, and certainly not on my K-5. You have to have good glass to go with this great camera. The new 16-85 seems like the new APS-C kit lens to get.

Additionally, I feel like the sensor can resolve so much information, that if you aren't perfectly focused or have any motion blur, the picture looks like crap, whereas with the 16 MP K-5 sensor you could get away with a tiny bit of blur. The lower resolution and AA filter could hide some flaws. Not so with the K-3.
Here is my list of lenses... Nothing too spectacular, but would they pair well with the K-3?

18-135mm WR
Rokinon 16mm F2
Sigma 50-500mm OS (Bigma)
Rikenon 50mm F1.7

These lenses above cover all my needs, currently.
I'm sure once I get K-3, my LBA will flare up again lol.

But am I lost getting a K-3 with my current glass?
I probably shoot with my Sigma 50-500mm OS 90% of the time.
06-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Apart from, perhaps, some minor adjustments to your technique why should there be a learning curve?

06-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Apart from, perhaps, some minor adjustments to your technique why should there be a learning curve?
Aside from button placement and such, I wasn't sure how many features were added between the K-30 and the K-3.

Things I never thought of adjusting before may now be present on the K-3. But like you said, all should be minor adjustments.
Just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in case someone here had advice like, "Definitely don't press [X] button!", or "This setting is often overlooked..."
06-02-2015, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I went from a K-30 to a K-3. The learning curve wasn't as steep as one could imagine. Menus, buttons, and screens still have the Pentax look and feel so you are starting at place that at least looks familiar. There are some extra buttons like the one that switches the 4-way arrow keys between AF point selection and camera function selection. That's more a matter of getting used to what's where. You shouldn't need more than 1-2 weeks of casual shooting to get used to that - and even that's generous. Just keep the manual near by, don't be afraid to experiment, and the forum here is just a mouse click away.

I agree with @enoeske above that the extreme resolving power of the sensor is the biggest thing to get used to. It's higher resolution and lacks an AA filter. So many more little defects in your optics will be visible at 100% views compared to what a K-30 can produce. That's not necessarily bad. You won't notice any difference when printing 4"x6" or even 5"x7" for the casual viewer. Don't get hung up on that unless you print really, really big posters. However, you will begin to understand why people chase after FA/DA Limited glass. You should be fine with your current line of lenses unless you feel compelled to support the world economy with your money.

The K-3 does offer a different shooting experience. It can feel empowering and more serious but in the end it should be pleasurable. Embrace it.
06-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

...Additionally, I feel like the sensor can resolve so much information, that if you aren't perfectly focused or have any motion blur, the picture looks like crap, whereas with the 16 MP K-5 sensor you could get away with a tiny bit of blur. The lower resolution and AA filter could hide some flaws. Not so with the K-3.
That's only the case if you are pixel peeping. For on-screen viewing or if you print at the same size and view it at the same distance away, the higher resolution K-3 image is not really any more demanding for focus than a lower resolution camera.

Similar things have been said about lenses: lenses that are not perfectly sharp or have CA fringing have been accused of being no good on a K-3. I disagree; a lesser lens might not get 100% of the K-3's abilities but it won't be any worse than it was before.

06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I went from a K-30 to a K-3. The learning curve wasn't as steep as one could imagine. Menus, buttons, and screens still have the Pentax look and feel so you are starting at place that at least looks familiar. There are some extra buttons like the one that switches the 4-way arrow keys between AF point selection and camera function selection. That's more a matter of getting used to what's where. You shouldn't need more than 1-2 weeks of casual shooting to get used to that - and even that's generous. Just keep the manual near by, don't be afraid to experiment, and the forum here is just a mouse click away.

I agree with @enoeske above that the extreme resolving power of the sensor is the biggest thing to get used to. It's higher resolution and lacks an AA filter. So many more little defects in your optics will be visible at 100% views compared to what a K-30 can produce. That's not necessarily bad. You won't notice any difference when printing 4"x6" or even 5"x7" for the casual viewer. Don't get hung up on that unless you print really, really big posters. However, you will begin to understand why people chase after FA/DA Limited glass. You should be fine with your current line of lenses unless you feel compelled to support the world economy with your money.

The K-3 does offer a different shooting experience. It can feel empowering and more serious but in the end it should be pleasurable. Embrace it.
All great info. Thanks!
I'm very much looking forward to the advancement and hope to get some good weather to test out the Bigma with the K-3...
I'm also looking forward to the added weight and size. My hands are pretty large and the K-30 tends to cramp up my hands after a full day of shooting.

I may just buy the $749 with battery grip of B&H unless I can find one here for significantly cheaper.

Anyways, enough ranting.
Thanks for the words of advice and I'm sure I'll be reaching out for tips once I have camera in hand.

Cheers!
06-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #9

All great info. Thanks!
I'm very much looking forward to the advancement and hope to get some good weather to test out the Bigma with the K-3...
I'm also looking forward to the added weight and size. My hands are pretty large and the K-30 tends to cramp up my hands after a full day of shooting.

I may just buy the $749 with battery grip of B&H unless I can find one here for significantly cheaper.

Anyways, enough ranting.
Thanks for the words of advice and I'm sure I'll be reaching out for tips once I have camera in hand.

Cheers!
I think you will be happy with the K3. I had a K30 and upgraded to K3 also. My first pictures were not great. It took me some weeks, but now i am very happy with the results. Take your time to understand the camera. Good luck with it.
06-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from a K-x to the K-5. The K-30 won't be as big of a jump.
06-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Forum Member

Here is my list of lenses... Nothing too spectacular, but would they pair well with the K-3?

18-135mm WR
Rokinon 16mm F2
Sigma 50-500mm OS (Bigma)
Rikenon 50mm F1.7

These lenses above cover all my needs, currently.
I'm sure once I get K-3, my LBA will flare up again lol.

But am I lost getting a K-3 with my current glass?
I probably shoot with my Sigma 50-500mm OS 90% of the time.
I love my Bigma on my K3, it does a excellent job. Much better than when it was on a K20D.

Button placement will likely be the biggest learning curve.

Last edited by sadatoni; 06-02-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add text.
06-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DutchGonzo Quote
I think you will be happy with the K3. I had a K30 and upgraded to K3 also. My first pictures were not great. It took me some weeks, but now i am very happy with the results. Take your time to understand the camera. Good luck with it.
Just curious, DG, what adjustments did you have to make? Was it mostly about the new controls/settings? Or something with technique as well.

I'm sorta in the same boat as UserAccessDenied, although I'm still at the considering stage. I'm pretty comfortable with my K-30 (and K-200D). But thinking a K-3 or K-3 II is in my future some time.

Thanks!
06-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think the bigger learning curve is the insane quality of the 24MP without the AA filter.
Agreed. There is enough similarity between all Pentax dSLR (except the new K-S1 and K-S2) that moving between bodies is not too traumatic. The 24 Mpx resolution is another matter!

The weakest lens in your lineup is the DA 18-135 which may be a little soft at the wide end ( ). The others should do just fine with the possible exception of the Rikenon 50/1.7 (depending on which version).

Steve
06-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers!
I moved from a K-50 to the K-3. Other than button placement and some noise reduction features you should not have many problems. You need to be rock steady with your hand held shots though......the higher resolution 24 mp will show motion blur more so than the 16 mp K-30. The new firmware ver 1.21 makes the K-3 very responsive with autofocus.

Happy Shooting
06-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed. There is enough similarity between all Pentax dSLR (except the new K-S1 and K-S2) that moving between bodies is not too traumatic. The 24 Mpx resolution is another matter!

The weakest lens in your lineup is the DA 18-135 which may be a little soft at the wide end ( ). The others should do just fine with the possible exception of the Rikenon 50/1.7 (depending on which version).

Steve
Agreed except my 18-135 works great with my K-3 as a walk around zoom.
Performance will be typical for this lens, the center is excellent with the edges not great.

Step up to DA* and Limiteds when the budget allows but no rush.
Focus on technique first. You will notice it first with blurry shots from the long end of the Bigma.
Bump your usual shutter speed up a bit and make sure to calibrate the focus as it will be more critical that it be spot on.

(You will get spoiled with the K-3 over your K-30 I predict. )