Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see what you mean. Everything is much sharper and more detailed with the PS on. Terrific!

06-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
After further examination of the jpgs from the pixel shifted images I find that when I view the jpg "full screen" size on my NEC 27 inch monitor, I see no effects of the wind on the trees.

However, when examining these jpgs at 100% magnification, I can see in just a few areas on the distant trees a slight blurring of few very small groups of leaves. Was this blurring due to the shower shutter speed, or was it due to the pixel shifting? I don't know for sure, but it's my guess that it was more due to the slowish shutter speed.

Anyway, based upon what I'm seeing, any of these 50mm lenses used on the K3ii with a light wind result in extremely nice and highly detailed jpg images when shot in the pixel shift mode. So, pixel shifting seems like a usable option for landscapes if you've only got a "light wind".
06-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't know if I've just been lucky, but over the years...I've never gotten a scratch on any of my unprotected screens...I sometimes wonder if screen protectors are a solution for a problem that actually doesn't exist to any great degree.
You have been lucky

I am generally pretty careful with my gear, but managed to wear a pretty good biff on the surface of my K10D's rear screen*. It happened in about my fifth year of ownership before I sold it at seven years. It was something I had disclose to potential buyers and call out in the photos I posted with the listing. I have screen protectors on both top and rear on the K-3 and the rear collected its first big scratch a couple of weeks ago. It probably would not have harmed the glass on an unprotected screen, but who knows.

Steve

* A camera bag conflict between the K10D and the hot shoe on my KX film camera. A couple hours riding in the car that way was all it took.
06-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Was this blurring due to the shower shutter speed, or was it due to the pixel shifting? I don't know for sure, but it's my guess that it was more due to the slowish shutter speed.
It could be either. The shutter-open time for a PS image is never faster than 1/180s + the dial shutter speed x4. For fluttering leaves even the maximum dial shutter speed would be inadequate to fully freeze things.

Steve

06-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It could be either. The shutter-open time for a PS image is never faster than 1/180s + the dial shutter speed x4. For fluttering leaves even the maximum dial shutter speed would be inadequate to fully freeze things.

Steve

I still greatly prefer the pixel shifted jpgs over the non-pixel shifted jpgs. On the non-shifted jpgs ALL of the folliage looks slightly mushy and blurry. However, the pixel shifted jpgs only have a few tiny areas that are blurry. For the perfectionists out there, there is probably a way to use layers in PhotoShop (with a layer mask) to remove those few tiny areas of blurry leaves in the pixel shifted jpgs.

---------- Post added 06-16-15 at 09:37 PM ----------

Of the 4 lens that I tested, do those of you who looked at the jpgs have a favorite lens? Which one is your fav and why???
06-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shot more pixel shifted images today. All of todays photos were taken with my K3ii and my three 28mm lenses.

The wind was a little stronger during todays shoot - 6 to 8 mph.

Upon close examination of the large jpgs from these pixel shifted images, I'm seeing almost no blurring and absolutely no multiple images on any of the photos due to the wind. The grass and tree leaves look very good.

Overall, I'm feeling comfortable shooting landscapes with the K3ii in the pixel shifting mode in wind that is 6-8 mph or less. Although I don't think that I'd be using the pixel shifting mode with a 10 mph wind or stronger.

I do plan to keep shooting with the K3ii in pixel shifting mode in a variety of weather/wind conditions, with my 11 lenses, and a variety of subjects. As I learn something else new I'll be sure to post my observations and conclusions here.

I'm a bit surprised that only one person on this forum commented on the 8 high resolution images that I posted to my DropBox yesterday and linked to in the above post. I don't believe that I'll bother doing that again...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2015 at 03:45 PM.
06-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I shot more pixel shifted images today. All of todays photos were taken with my K3ii and my three 28mm lenses.

The wind was a little stronger during todays shoot - 6 to 8 mph.

Upon close examination of the large jpgs from these pixel shifted images, I'm seeing almost no blurring and absolutely no multiple images on any of the photos due to the wind. The grass and tree leaves look very good.

Overall, I'm feeling comfortable shooting landscapes with the K3ii in the pixel shifting mode in wind that is 6-8 mph or less. Although I don't think that I'd be using the pixel shifting mode with a 10 mph wind or stronger.

I do plan to keep shooting with the K3ii in pixel shifting mode in a variety of weather/wind conditions, with my 11 lenses, and a variety of subjects. As I learn something else new I'll be sure to post my observations and conclusions here.

I'm a bit surprised that only one person on this forum commented on the 8 high resolution images that I posted to my DropBox yesterday and linked to in the above post. I don't believe that I'll bother doing that again...
As a former Wisconsin resident (Amery for 18 years) feel particularly guilty in not commending you for your efforts. I, and I suspect many others, have been following your reports closely as I weigh whether or not to pick up a K-3ii. I should have thanked and encouraged you to continue. Please keep up the reports of your discoveries with the K-3ii. They are appreciated.
06-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mikesul.

The K3ii is my first Pentax camera. I purchased 11 K and PK mount lenses leading up to the release of the K3ii.

The last week I've been shooting both old manual focus screw mount Takamar lens, and some modern auto focus Pentax lenses. Everything I'm shooting is in the manual focus mode (as I don't want my tests to be skewed by an AF lens that front or back focuses). To my surprise, I can hardly believe how good the really old Pentax glass looks in the Pixel Shift mode. The old glass seems to have higher contrast and a more vibrant color pallet then the new AF glass I'm shooting.

I find that I can easily adjust the color and contrast of the newer lenses images in PhotoShop to be pretty close to the look of the old lenses. So, if you like to shoot AF, you can still adjust a modern Pentax AF lens in post to be pretty close to the look of the old Pentax glass.

When I'm viewing an image, I always do blind evaluations. I do not know which of my lenses took the image ( note that I do have multiple lenses in all of my favorite fields of view).

My wife is not a photographer, but she does like art. I have been asking her to pick her favorite K3ii pixel shifted images from jpgs right out of the camera. To my surprise, she usually picks the image that was taken with the really old manual focus Pentax lenses over the images taken with the newer glass.

I'm having as much fun experimenting with all of these lenses as I am learning to use the K3ii in it's pixel shifting mode.

Those of you who have old Pentax glass and are wondering how it will perform on the K3ii in pixel shifting mode, rest assured that you will be mostly pleasantly surprised. If you are thinking of some day buying the K3ii, I'd encourage you to hold onto your old manual focus Pentax glass.

The only lens that I've tried so far that performed horribly on the K3ii was a Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 MC that someone gave me. Also, I was disappointed by the performance of the KMZ 50mm 1.7 Zenitar-M lens yesterday when shot at F/8. Everyone talks about how sharp this lens is - well, I found it to be less sharp then the two Pentax 50/55mm lenses that I tested. However, I still intend to keep this old MF Russian lens to shoot wide open because of it's outstanding bokeh wide open.

The biggest lens surprise that I've had so far was the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5 ! In a side by side test, this old manual focus screw mount lens beat my new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 "Art" lens at 28mm!!!! And that's saying something. This Sigma lens was my favorite wide angle lens on my Nikon D7100 camera body.

Who knows what other old Pentax lenses will find new life on the K3ii in the pixel shift mode. Also, all of these old MF Pentax lenses cover a full frame sensor. I would not be surprised if these old lenses will also shine in the pixel shifting mode on the upcoming full frame Pentax camera.

In the next couple of days I'll be testing the following lenses in the K3ii Pixel Shifting mode: A new Pentax 100mm AF macro vs a Voightlander APO 90mm f/3.5 lens. Pentax 135mm len and Pentax 200mm lens.

Dave

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2015 at 05:00 PM.
06-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #69

I concur with Mikesul about highly appreciating any feedback about the K-3ii and in particular its pixel-shift capabilities. Waiting for any kind of pertinent information (rather than the negative speculation surrounding the earliest portions of the various threads) has been more taxing than even the FF
06-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave

Glad to hear you are enjoying the old Pentax glass. There is a lot to choose from and much of it is excellent. Glad to hear it holds up with the pixel shifting. My favorites are the M series especially the M 50 1.7 and the M*300. They are exquisite. I think many on the forum would agree with your wife about the look the old lenses provide. Keep experimenting!
06-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few weeks ago, I had the chance to purchased a slightly used K3 for only $550. I took a pass and decided to hold out for the K3ii. I am glad that I waited. The added features on the K3ii are of great value to me and were well worth the wait and the extra expense.

As I said before, I love the compass. But, I doubt that I will ever use the GPS to designate where I took a photo. For a number of personal reasons, I really don't care to publicize exactly where I take my photos.

In a few weeks I'm camping in northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan. These areas have very dark night skies that are not polluted by city lights. I have not yet tried the K3ii's astro-tracking feature, but l look forward to trying it out.

I've shot over 200 K3ii Pixel Shifted images so far. Being primarily a slow, deliberate, and landscape shooter, this is the single feature that made me purchase the K3ii over the K3. To my eye, the images I make in the pixel shifting mode are much better then those not in the pixel shifting mode. My style of photography is shooting still landscapes, mostly at dawn and dusk when there's not much wind. So, the K3 pixel shifting mode seems to be working very good for me and my style of photography. I have yet to photograph waterfalls in PS mode, but hope to do so within a few weeks.

Obviously PS will not work well for racing car photography, sports, the grandkids, and active pets.

I don't do product photography or achitectural photography, but I would image pixel shifting would be great for those types of photography.

PS is not for everyone, but it is a feature that I am beginning to really like and heavily use.
06-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm enjoying your thoughts about the K-3II and your photos, too! I have been considering an upgrade from my K-30 to the K-3 or K-3II. My primary interest in the K-3II is pixel shift and I can certainly see a big difference in the high res photos you posted, so that's very encouraging. I already have the O-GPS1 so apart from the pixel shift, the K-3II doesn't really offer me much more than the K-3, which makes it a difficult decision with K-3 prices dropping. Thanks very much for telling us about your hands on experiences!
06-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dave thanks for the postings -- yes the PS jpegs look lose to the DP3 images I get,would like to see some with the DA70--one of the sharpest lens I've tried.
Also are the OOC jpegs or converted from RAW? if not can you post some raw files on Dropbox,and maybe some more dense trees & water scenes.that would be great
as I imagine the FF will also have PS & if 42MP backlit then the detail will be mind blowing to say the least
06-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi Dave thanks for the postings -- yes the PS jpegs look lose to the DP3 images I get,would like to see some with the DA70--one of the sharpest lens I've tried.
Also are the OOC jpegs or converted from RAW? if not can you post some raw files on Dropbox,and maybe some more dense trees & water scenes.that would be great
as I imagine the FF will also have PS & if 42MP backlit then the detail will be mind blowing to say the least
The 8 jpegs I posted yesterday were straight out of the camera.

I will do more testing in the next couple of days. I will post both the original RAWs and jpg files.

The RAWs in my DropBox will be 130MB. Even with a fast internet connection it will take a while to download. But you asked for a full sized RAW and you will get it.

By the way, my RAWs are the Pentax proprietary type. So to process them you will need the special Pentax/Silky Pix software.

As far as pixel shifting with the new Full Frames goes... If it's 40ish or 50ish MP and backlite, you are right, the resolution/clarity will be outstanding. However, I don't believe that I will need it!!!! I print lots of images on my large format Epson 7600 inkjet printer. While I have yet to print any K3ii pixel shifted images because none have been worthy of printing, all just experimental stuff. But, having seen the incredible detail on my 27inch NEC monitor, I have no doubt that my prints will be sharper and more detailed then they've ever been. I kind of think that with my K3ii, I've reached the point of diminishing returns, and that a whiz bang Pentax Full frame will not produce a file that will be much better "for my printing purposes" then what I'm sure I'll be getting out of the K3ii. I don't look at my prints with a loupe, and I don't print them as large as a wall or a billboard (17 x 25.5 inches is as big as I print), so the K3ii with pixel shifting is probably where I'm going to end up at (at least for many many years to come).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2015 at 06:56 PM.
06-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just heard from a forum member about how I may have not posted the links to my K3ii photos in my DropBox folder properly. If I did it wrong, it was my first attempt,and in the future when I post links to DropBox photos I will try to do a better job.

Here's the instructions I received on how you might be able to download my first 8 images from DropBox if you are having troubles downloading them -

"I tried to do a right click, save as, and saved the files. All were corrupt.

I then left clicked on the link, and was taken to the page where the picture resides, and was able to download the picture. I realized that the link, as you posted it, was telling dropbox not to allow the file to be downloaded without going to dropbox.

I then found that if I copied the link location for each picture, pasted the URL into the browser, changed the dl=0 to dl=1, that I was able to download the picture by left clicking without going to the dropbox site.

It went much faster for downloading. If dropbox terms of agreement allow, using dl=1 would probably result in more people downloading the pictures.
"