Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I work in the dark! haha Just a snapshot with my phone..You can see what it is hehe
the one on the far right..wouldn't be the FF by chance sent in a 'plain' K3II box hey!!

06-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

If only Its a bit early for that..hehe
06-05-2015, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
In a couple of weeks I will be posting many K3II photos on this forum. I intend to post large, high quality files so that everyone can judge for themselves the results. What is the absolute largest image file that I can upload here?
As best I can tell from the forum rules: 850 pixels maximum and / or 1.5mb per image. Of course you can post them elsewhere (Flickr for example) and then link to them from here.
Forum rules: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/314-forum-usage-g...-features.html I may be wrong on that, but it's what the rules seem to say.
06-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Instead, may I also suggest - in all fairness to the viewer/server/slow connection - that you post images to another site (Flickr, 500pix, SmugMug, etc.), then provide a link on this site to the image via a URL, or thumbnail link?
This ^^^ not everyone has a fast internet connection and posting large files slows down everything as well as sometimes messing with the framing of the thread.

General image posting guidelines:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/258842-how-upload...tart-here.html
Info on linking from Flickr:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/255840-suggestion...ng-flickr.html

06-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

ok. I'd just like to say I'm jealous of everyone posting pictures of their tables full of K-3s...
I'm hoping to get my first K-3 by Black Friday this year; and these guys have FOUR of them! sheeesh

lol - I'm envious...
06-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In a couple of weeks I will be posting many K3II photos on this forum.

I intend to post large, high quality files so that everyone can judge for themselves the results. What is the absolute largest image file that I can upload here?
Not recommended. Post the photos elsewhere (DropBox, Flickr, or somesuch) and provide a LINK directly to the file. Don't include the big image on the page.

Steve
06-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
as well as sometimes messing with the framing of the thread.
Yes...you end up having to scroll sideways forever just to reply and nobody can actually see the image.

Steve

06-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just got back from my recent photo safari with my K3II. It's a complex camera with a feature set that I've not seen before on my Nikon or Fuji X cameras.

Have not have time to process the RAW files yet, but don't worry, they'll be posted in the next few weeks as I have time to process them.

Here's a few initial observations based upon about 40-hours of use and 710 images taken:

1. I just love the built in compass mode. Kept me from being hopelessly lost a number of times.
2. Most days, I shot all day on just one battery. That even included a few images in the "pixel shifting" mode. I found that the el cheapo Chinese batteries worked just as well and as long as did the original OEM battery that came with my new K3II.
That said, when the battery gauge just starts to show the first signs of it being depleted, you had better start thinking about putting a new one in because when it shows that half the battery power is left, it's really like you only have 10 or 15% left.
3. I shot all RAW+, so on each image I got both a jpg and a RAW file. I just spent a couple of hours quickly reviewing the jpgs. While clearly the images were beautiful and sharp, I have to say that their micro-contrast and sharpness falls well short of what I got with jpgs out of my DP Merrill Foveon sensor cameras. I'd say that the K3II jpgs are about the same overall quality and IQ as those that I get out of my Nikon D7100 and Fuji X-T1 jpgs (when taken with comparable glass).
4. With all of the new features, it's a long learning curve to teach myself how to use all of them.
5. I purposely shot many images hand held. Frankly, I'm not at all impressed with the built in image stabilizing that the K3II has. I really do not notice any improvement in blur reduction over the same type of images I've taken with my Fuji and Nikon cameras.

As previously mentioned, I intend to post full sized photos, and also pieces of them that show 100% magnification. I have PhotoShop, but don't know how to save a part of an image that is a 100% blown up. Can someone please tell me how to do that? Also, I will not be posting any images on Flicker or other sites as I don't do that.
06-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Just got back from my recent photo safari with my K3II. It's a complex camera with a feature set that I've not seen before on my Nikon or Fuji X cameras.

Have not have time to process the RAW files yet, but don't worry, they'll be posted in the next few weeks as I have time to process them.

Here's a few initial observations based upon about 40-hours of use and 710 images taken:

1. I just love the built in compass mode. Kept me from being hopelessly lost a number of times.
2. Most days, I shot all day on just one battery. That even included a few images in the "pixel shifting" mode. I found that the el cheapo Chinese batteries worked just as well and as long as did the original OEM battery that came with my new K3II.
That said, when the battery gauge just starts to show the first signs of it being depleted, you had better start thinking about putting a new one in because when it shows that half the battery power is left, it's really like you only have 10 or 15% left.
3. I shot all RAW+, so on each image I got both a jpg and a RAW file. I just spent a couple of hours quickly reviewing the jpgs. While clearly the images were beautiful and sharp, I have to say that their micro-contrast and sharpness falls well short of what I got with jpgs out of my DP Merrill Foveon sensor cameras. I'd say that the K3II jpgs are about the same overall quality and IQ as those that I get out of my Nikon D7100 and Fuji X-T1 jpgs (when taken with comparable glass).
4. With all of the new features, it's a long learning curve to teach myself how to use all of them.
5. I purposely shot many images hand held. Frankly, I'm not at all impressed with the built in image stabilizing that the K3II has. I really do not notice any improvement in blur reduction over the same type of images I've taken with my Fuji and Nikon cameras.

As previously mentioned, I intend to post full sized photos, and also pieces of them that show 100% magnification. I have PhotoShop, but don't know how to save a part of an image that is a 100% blown up. Can someone please tell me how to do that? Also, I will not be posting any images on Flicker or other sites as I don't do that.
as always RAW is best to use on Pentax for max detail,contrast etc. I find, The DP Merril is a killer cam for certain things,so not fair to compare? but PS may be very close from what I've seen..but my DP3 can shoot moving objects as well
what lens are you using that SR seems no better on? my main reason to get one is the new SR & AF tracking ..if you have a DA'300 would be nice to test that on to see how SR is
06-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
as always RAW is best to use on Pentax for max detail,contrast etc. I find, The DP Merril is a killer cam for certain things,so not fair to compare? but PS may be very close from what I've seen..but my DP3 can shoot moving objects as well
what lens are you using that SR seems no better on? my main reason to get one is the new SR & AF tracking ..if you have a DA'300 would be nice to test that on to see how SR is
Shanti, the lens I used was the AF Pentax 55 SDM SMC DA.

Also, I just compared the K3ii compass to my new Cammenga model 3H compass. I found the K3ii compass to be dead on with my expensive military style compass. But I do believe that I will still keep my Cammenga old fashioned compass for those times where I'm in a thick forest and the camera's GPS can't see the satelites...
06-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to know it works fine. Will save me taking out my phone every time I have to prove to my wife we're going in the right direction.

How many images did you take per day? And how many clicks did that represent? Depending on your deleting a lot while chimping, both numbers may diverge, so I'm really more interested in the number of clicks. Esp since I gather you kept on the GPS all times?

The battery gauge behaviour sounds similar to the K-3, which would be expected. At least there *is* 10% to 15% left, with previous batteries (the ones used in the K10D and K20D I believe) you didn't get as much warning...

SR is what it is... I've learned to rely on it only partially and certainly not to the extent of the advertised maximum number of stops. But there is some learning curve involved as well. It is actually possible to take an image without SR even when it is ON. The SR system needs a fraction of time to activate between half and full press of the shutter release. So pressing all the way in one go may result in non-stabilized images. Secondly, remember that SR stabilizes the camera's movement, not the subject's. When you say you took a safari, I gather you shot some wildlife? Animals can move quickly, so are you sure the blur you saw wasn't subject movement? For me SR works well, once you learn what it can do for you (and what it cannot!).

Many thanks for your feedback!!

Wim
06-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ishpuini, nice to hear from you.

How many images did I take per day? I did not make an exact count, but I'd guess about 200. About 10 of those were "pixel shifting" photos. Also, I'd leave the camera on almost constantly, and I probably deleted around 50 or so images. All of that on one battery, from my experience that's pretty good battery life I'd say.

I shot a number of manual focus lenses. Does anyone know if the anti-vibration thing works on K3ii (or K3) when using a manual lens? Also, when using the auto focus lenses, I used the the AF button custom set to the AF2 mode (focusing with only the press of the AF button, half pressing the shutter button does nothing to affect the focusing). I am wondering if the image stabilization feature is turned off when the AF button is set in the AF2 mode? Anyone know the answer to that questions?

Thanks,
Dave in Wisconsin
06-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Below are the very first photos I'm posting on this forum.

Both were taken with my K3ii and DA smc 55mm af lens. I took it hand held from my 5th story hotel room. Both were from jpg files with no digital adjustment except for a tiny bit of sharpening in post.

The first photo is the entire image. The second is a 100% blow up of 3 signs in the center of this photo. I was very impressed that I could easily ready each of these 3 signs on my monitor at 100%.

Dave

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
06-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, here's my first pixel shift image. I had set my K3ii to save RAW files as DNGs in this particular case.

Below is a pixel shift image that I took of the same ferry boat at the same time as I took the above posted non-pixel shifted images. I shot it hand held (don't worry, more will be coming that I shot from a tripod, but hey, I'm in a total experimental mode right now).

I opened this image in Pentax/Silky Pix "Digi Camera Utility 5" software that came with my new k3ii camera. They say that this is the only software that can currently process a pixel shift image. While this may be true, I do intend to try to open pixel shifted images with 5 other RAW conververts that I have.

At first it did not appear that I could make any adjustments to the RAW file in DCU5. However, after a bit of experimenting, I found that if you push the "Laboratory" button, it will bring up all of the many post processing adjustments that are available to you in this software. I do intend to soon read the instructions and help pages for this software, so in time I expect that I will get familiar with doing post adjustments in DCU5.

Anyway, I did not make any adjustments in this first pixel shift image, and simply saved it as a 16 bit tiff file. I was surprised to find that the tiff file was a whopping 137mb!

I opened this giant tiff file in PhotoShop. I blew it up to 100% and cropped a piece of it and saved it. This file is posted here too. The signs at 100% enlargement were clearer on the pixel shift image then on the non-pixel shift image.

So, what I've learned so far is that pixeled shifted files are huge, I think that the Pentax/Silky Pix RAW file developer has the ability to make more adjustments then the other RAW developers that I use. I expect that in time, the Pentax/Silky Pix "Digi Camera Utility 5" software may become my favorite RAW file developer.

It goes without saying that it's not a good idea to shoot a pixel shifted image hand held. Also, don't shoot people walking when in the PS mode unless you want multiple images as you see in the full sized image below.

More to come...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
06-13-2015, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing, but I'm definitely hungry for more...especially full size images. If you want to email me some full size pictures, I could upload them to my sever space. Then I could post them here in the thread with a smaller version that people can click on to see the full size version, like so:

Just send me a PM if you think that sounds like a good idea, and I'll send you my email address.