Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sure, maybe with your help, we can post links to some really large files which are the best way to really see the results one can achieve with Pentax Pixel Shifting.

The files are far to big to email. Do you know how to use "Drop Box"?

Also, what is you personal email address?

My is Photowallpaper@hotmail.com

Dave

06-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Sure, maybe with your help, we can post links to some really large files which are the best way to really see the results one can achieve with Pentax Pixel Shifting.

The JPEG files shouldn't be too big to email...at least not one at a time. The full-size, high-quality JPEG I linked to above is only 2MB. Granted, it's a 16MP image with a lot of solid area, but looking at some K-3 JPEG's on DPReview.com, it looks like the files are around 10-12MB. I believe Hotmail allows attachments up to 25MB.

But yeah, I've used Dropbox before. I'll send you an email.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-14-2015 at 05:44 AM.
06-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fenwoodian

I think that a time lapse of a city street shot with pixel shift turned on would be a riot to watch when played back.
06-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Fenwoodian

I think that a time lapse of a city street shot with pixel shift turned on would be a riot to watch when played back.
yes lots of possibilities to be creative with PS Handheld as well..

06-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'd say that the K3II jpgs are about the same overall quality and IQ as those that I get out of my Nikon D7100 and Fuji X-T1 jpgs (when taken with comparable glass).
Yep...that makes sense, particularly in regards to the Nikon.

Steve
06-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Below are the very first photos I'm posting on this forum.
Nice work! You may want to consider uploading your photos to a site like Flickr and linking through from here rather than uploading to this site. The forum software is often not kind to photos with a decrease in quality being a common problem. Flickr works very well for many users here because they actually supply the BB Code snippet to past into your message. Very cool.

Steve
06-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

OK, here's my first pixel shift image. I had set my K3ii to save RAW files as DNGs in this particular case.

Below is a pixel shift image that I took of the same ferry boat at the same time as I took the above posted non-pixel shifted images. I shot it hand held (don't worry, more will be coming that I shot from a tripod, but hey, I'm in a total experimental mode right now).

I opened this image in Pentax/Silky Pix "Digi Camera Utility 5" software that came with my new k3ii camera. They say that this is the only software that can currently process a pixel shift image. While this may be true, I do intend to try to open pixel shifted images with 5 other RAW conververts that I have.

At first it did not appear that I could make any adjustments to the RAW file in DCU5. However, after a bit of experimenting, I found that if you push the "Laboratory" button, it will bring up all of the many post processing adjustments that are available to you in this software. I do intend to soon read the instructions and help pages for this software, so in time I expect that I will get familiar with doing post adjustments in DCU5.

Anyway, I did not make any adjustments in this first pixel shift image, and simply saved it as a 16 bit tiff file. I was surprised to find that the tiff file was a whopping 137mb!

I opened this giant tiff file in PhotoShop. I blew it up to 100% and cropped a piece of it and saved it. This file is posted here too. The signs at 100% enlargement were clearer on the pixel shift image then on the non-pixel shift image.

So, what I've learned so far is that pixeled shifted files are huge, I think that the Pentax/Silky Pix RAW file developer has the ability to make more adjustments then the other RAW developers that I use. I expect that in time, the Pentax/Silky Pix "Digi Camera Utility 5" software may become my favorite RAW file developer.

It goes without saying that it's not a good idea to shoot a pixel shifted image hand held. Also, don't shoot people walking when in the PS mode unless you want multiple images as you see in the full sized image below.

More to come...
Hand-held, floating dock, floating boat, and moving people. Yikes! I see GHOSTS!!! Still though, it is nice to see that the capture rate was sufficiently high that there minimal ghosting of the boat and dock.

Steve

06-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you are a DropBox user, you can link directly to the files from here.

Steve
06-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you are a DropBox user, you can link directly to the files from here.

Steve

How does one do that?
06-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

How does one do that?
Hi Fen..just right click on the pic in dropbox & choose share dropbox link in the pull down menu
like this one..pic is small so can't be any larger,but it will show full size of whatever you have in dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9rhwwrvdk0arun/movement8.jpg?dl=0
06-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried to order a protector for the back screen of my new K3II. I could not find one that was made for this camera body.

So, I measured the exact screen size (49mm by 71mm). I found that the Nikon AW1 Larmor screen protector is exactly this size. So I order it and found that it fits perfectly.
06-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I tried to order a protector for the back screen of my new K3II. I could not find one that was made for this camera body.

So, I measured the exact screen size (49mm by 71mm). I found that the Nikon AW1 Larmor screen protector is exactly this size. So I order it and found that it fits perfectly.
Good tip, I'm sure some people will appreciate it.

I don't know if I've just been lucky, but over the years since I've owned DSLR's (Olympus e-510, Canon t2i, Pentax K-x, Pentax K-30) and shot probably over 150,000 pics I've never gotten a scratch on any of my unprotected screens. Same for my other current and past cameras (Olympus XZ-1, Sony RX-100 II, Sony RX-1, Panasonic LX-100). Ditto for the two smartphones I've owned. I sometimes wonder if screen protectors are a solution for a problem that actually doesn't exist to any great degree.

And I've seen people with some pretty ugly and/or worn out screen protectors (especially on their phones). I think I'd rather have a scratch or two than to have a film over my screen.
06-16-2015, 05:38 AM   #58
Veteran Member

How many images did I take per day? I did not make an exact count, but I'd guess about 200. About 10 of those were "pixel shifting" photos. Also, I'd leave the camera on almost constantly, and I probably deleted around 50 or so images. All of that on one battery, from my experience that's pretty good battery life I'd say.
Sound OK indeed. Looks like I won't have to purchase an extra battery then (I carried 4 for my K-3).

I shot a number of manual focus lenses. Does anyone know if the anti-vibration thing works on K3ii (or K3) when using a manual lens? Also, when using the auto focus lenses, I used the the AF button custom set to the AF2 mode (focusing with only the press of the AF button, half pressing the shutter button does nothing to affect the focusing). I am wondering if the image stabilization feature is turned off when the AF button is set in the AF2 mode? Anyone know the answer to that questions?
Normally the camera should have asked you the focal length of the manual lens when you switch it on with the lens mounted. SR will then compensate movement in accordance with that focal length. You can verify that manually entered focal length in the EXIF of your images. As to your second question, the settings for the AF button do not interfere with SR at all, so it should work as expected.

hth, Wim
06-16-2015, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
G
And I've seen people with some pretty ugly and/or worn out screen protectors (especially on their phones). I think I'd rather have a scratch or two than to have a film over my screen.
I'm one of those. Big cracks in the thick acrylic screen protector. Paint wearing off the K5, no rubber viewfinder cup, diopter adjustment slide fell off, the K5 keeps on taking great pictures. The camera has fallen/flown twice, once bad enough to destroy a 55-300 zoom. (incident with deer and dogs, lucky I didn't break my wrist). Rain, heat, and freezing are but mere "stuff" to this camera.

This is why I buy rugged gear. I swear I don't deliberately put the camera in harm's way, though. It's still a precision instrument, and performs perfectly.
06-16-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did some more controlled testing tonight with my Pentax K3ii .

I'll post a few links to the original jpgs and will share my observations. However, if there is the demand, I can also post links to the full sized RAW files in my "DropBox".

First, all of the photos that I took in this series were all of the outside of the local McDonalds store. I shot the camera mounted on a heavy steel Gitzo tripod. The eyeplece was covered during the exposure. Each image was manually focused using magnified live view. All images were shot at f/8. I used the waterproof infrared Pentax remote on 3 second delay for each shot. There was not much wind blowing during this test (3 - 5 mph).

In this series, I tested the following lenses:

1. KMZ 50mm 1.7 Zenitar-M
2. Pentax Super-takumar 50mm f1.4
3. SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7
4. SMC Pentax DA 55mm F1.4 SDM

I shot each lens in the RAW+ mode (PEF RAW and jpg) two times. Once with pixel shifting off, and once with it on.

The following are my initial observations:
# The jpg that is made from the pixel shifting file is about 2MB larger then the jpg associated with the non-pixel shifted image.
# The pixel shifted jpg is very clearly MUCH sharper then the jpg from the non-pixel shifted image.
# The jpg from the pixel shifted files clearly show each and every individual leaf on distant trees - similar clarity to the jpgs I got from my Sigma Merrill DP1, DP2, DP3 cameras.

---------- Post added 06-16-15 at 06:30 PM ----------

Here are the links to the original jpgs. Each is straight out of the camera. I did no post, not even sharpening.

The PS means that this is the link to the jpg that was made from the pixel shifted image.

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2cyi0ed2dbs0te/_IMG1413.JPG?dl=0
1. PS https://www.dropbox.com/s/2330xfftan77f8h/_IMG1414.JPG?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hxyrugouq396vr/_IMG1416.JPG?dl=0
2. PS https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iw5i4pt23cxg6t/_IMG1415.JPG?dl=0
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkntsore9ae1akb/_IMG1417.JPG?dl=0
3. PS https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkncrsukvx1g81m/_IMG1418.JPG?dl=0
4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0gprptpy6fb49m/_IMG1420.JPG?dl=0
4. PS https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcctom0jhxisj06/_IMG1419.JPG?dl=0