Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just heard from a forum member about how I may have not posted the links to my K3ii photos in my DropBox folder properly. If I did it wrong, it was my first attempt,and in the future when I post links to DropBox photos I will try to do a better job.

Here's the instructions I received on how you might be able to download my first 8 images from DropBox if you are having troubles downloading them...

...I then found that if I copied the link location for each picture, pasted the URL into the browser, changed the dl=0 to dl=1, that I was able to download the picture by left clicking without going to the dropbox site."
Thanks so much for posting the comparison shots. There's nothing wrong with the links you posted; anyone can go to DropBox and download them the way the are!

And here's a great big OOPS! on my side... :

I sent the PM, and left out a big part of my train of thought. This is what I meant to say.

I then found that if I copied the link location for each picture, pasted the URL into the browser, changed the dl=0 to dl=1, that I was able to download the picture. I then tested a link in a preview, and found that I could indeed download using the dl=1 change by left clicking, without going to the dropbox site.

My apologies to Fenwoodian and any confusion I caused!

Roger

06-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Chrome(win 7) they open in about 2 sec full size,no problems..
06-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just heard from a forum member about how I may have not posted the links to my K3ii photos in my DropBox folder properly. If I did it wrong, it was my first attempt,and in the future when I post links to DropBox photos I will try to do a better job.
I went to the link, but it opened in some sort of photo viewer. What would have been preferred would have been a straight file download. BTW, the version in the photo viewer appears to strip the exif.

Steve
06-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #79
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I then left clicked on the link, and was taken to the page where the picture resides, and was able to download the picture. I realized that the link, as you posted it, was telling dropbox not to allow the file to be downloaded without going to dropbox.

I then found that if I copied the link location for each picture, pasted the URL into the browser, changed the dl=0 to dl=1, that I was able to download the picture by left clicking without going to the dropbox site.
Yes, the link is not to the file itself, it is to a DropBox resource that returns a HTML page containing an image viewer. As noted, the fix is to change the value of "dl" in the URL querystring from "0" to "1".

Steve

06-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #80
Veteran Member

That's why I like to host images on my own space. I don't like the hoops that you have to jump through on hosting sites, such as DropBox and Flickr, to get to the original image file.

BTW, I'm also running Chrome on Windows 7, and for the images posted here by Fenwoodian, after following the link, I click on the image to zoom in, and it loads a new page with zoom controls. I then right-click on the image and choose "Open image in new tab". It then opens the original, full JPG image in a new window. I can then zoom in or save it from there.
06-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a link to a jpg from a pixel shifted jpg file I took last week in Savannah Georgia at the Bonaventure Cemetary. No post processing done. There was a light wind when I took this photo, but I don't see any ghosting or double images in this photo. There is some minor blurring of some of the Spanish Moss hanging from the trees as would be expected, but this insignificant blurring looks like the same type of blurring that one might get if one had taken this photo using the non-pixel shifting mode. https://www.dropbox.com/s/522v6w1mbily1bi/Bonaventure%20Cemetary%2C%20Savannah%20GA.JPG?dl=0

Here's a link to a giant DNG RAW file of the above image. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rehzteib1h1ai9x/Bonaventure%20Cemetary%20Savannah%...20RAW.DNG?dl=0

The lens I used was a Pentax FA 20mm f/2.8 SMC

---------- Post added 06-18-15 at 10:19 AM ----------

Here's another jpg from a pixel shift photo at Bonaventure Cemetary. Used the same Pentax 20mm lens for this one too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tigqhgzeqiv0kd/Bonaventure%202%20jpg.JPG?dl=0

Here's the link to the PEF RAW file of this same image - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mp2tssyzv5drce2/Bonaventure%202%20PEF%20RAW.PEF?dl=0

The wind was blowing a little harder in this photo. Looking at the distant foliage, I can see wind induced blurring, although not all that different than the blurring I'd have gotten on this image using the non-pixel shift method.

Dave
06-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #82
Pentaxian

There was a light wind when I took this photo, but I don't see any ghosting or double images in this photo. There is some minor blurring of some of the Spanish Moss hanging from the trees as would be expected, but this insignificant blurring looks like the same type of blurring that one might get if one had taken this photo using the non-pixel shifting mode.
I disagree. There are some prominent and distracting speckles -- fairly high contrast -- around some of the spanish moss. Clearly pixel shift artifacts. It's a very nice shot and maybe they will disappear at normal viewing distances and sizes. But I'd be very careful about making a large print.

06-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I just downloaded the RAW file. I was disappointed to see that Pentax has chosen to continue its tradition of not outputting a true 3:2 shaped image file. Instead, the files are 16 pixels wider than 3:2. Why do they do that???
06-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #84
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Why do they do that???
They know it bugs you

Good question. You could start another thread hoping that perhaps someone in Pentaxland knows. (more megapickles?)

Edit: Another good question might be why Nikon advertises effective resolution of 24.2 Mpx on the D7200 when the pixel dimensions at maximum resolution is 6000 X 4000.
200,000 innocent pixels missing without a trace. The truth is out there...somewhere...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-18-2015 at 01:53 PM.
06-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Another good question might be why Nikon advertises effective resolution of 24.2 Mpx on the D7200 when the pixel dimensions at maximum resolution is 6000 X 4000.
200,000 innocent pixels missing without a trace. The truth is out there...somewhere...
Maybe they took their marketing lessons from the people behind the old Ford Mustang GT 5.0 -- the one with the 4.9 liter engine.
06-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a short YouTube video on how one photographer uses his K3ii in the Pixel Shift mode.

I pretty much follow the methods that he discusses.

In the video he claims that the K3ii pixel shift images are better then he gets with his full frame Canon camera.

I do not currently have a full frame camera, however, since obtaining my K3ii, I've decided to sell my Nikon D7100 and all of my Nikon glass.
06-19-2015, 01:49 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Here's a short YouTube video on how one photographer uses his K3ii in the Pixel Shift mode. Pentax K-3 II using Pixel Shift Resolution - YouTube

I pretty much follow the methods that he discusses.

In the video he claims that the K3ii pixel shift images are better then he gets with his full frame Canon camera.

I do not currently have a full frame camera, however, since obtaining my K3ii, I've decided to sell my Nikon D7100 and all of my Nikon glass.
Thanks for the video. You must be impressed with your results from this camera if you are selling your Nikon gear.

cheers

Neil
06-19-2015, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nulla, sure, I do like the K3ii. But to my surprise, I'm finding that I like the overall look of Pentax glass better than Nikon glass.

My Nikon D7100 has a sensor that's similar to the K3ii's. But the K3ii has some nice features that the Nikon body does not have (in-body vibration dampening, pixel shifting, compass, astro-tracking). Throw the Pentax glass into the equation and it's an easy decision for me.
06-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing these photos. Very nice detail on the pixel shifted ones. I'm still probably holding out for the full frame camera, but if there aren't any announcements by the end of the year, I might jump on one of these. The original K3 is a great camera to use and this looks like a nice improvement on it.
06-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Rondec, about a year ago, I pre-purchased from B&H in NY the soon to be released Sigma Merrill DP0 camera. Well, I waited patiently for MONTHS. I got tired of waiting a few months ago and asked B&H for my money back. Being a terrific seller, they immediately gave me my money back.

Just yesterday I received an email from B&H saying that "You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued."

I've seen many other new camera models announced to great fanfare and anticipation, only to have their release date delayed again and again.... The Sigma Merrill DP0 is the first case where an announced camera (they even had detailed photos and specs on it) was "DISCONTINUED" before it was ever released.

I do hope that Pentax comes through with the timetable they've announced for their new full frame camera. With the Full Frame being a totally new camera for them i would not be surprised if Pentax/Ricoh has a few significant delays in the full frame's' release date. For the sake of you and so many other Pentaxians who are eagerly awaiting the Full Frame Pentax, I do hope that Pentex does not choose to follow Sigma's lead and "DISCONTINUE' their full frame camera before it is ever released...

Dave

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-19-2015 at 01:31 PM.