Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 12:41 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Comparison K-3 II vs Nikon D810 and Pentax 645Z by imaging Resource

Imaging Resource just posted an interesting comparison between the K-3 II and other very high resolution cameras (full frame and medium format). In pixel shift mode the K-3 II seems to outpace the D810 in terms of image quality and sharpness. Interested to see what you guys think of that...

Pentax K-3 II Review: First Shots - Tech2

06-05-2015, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lucky Pentax users, they do not need to buy very expensive cameras such as the D810 or the 645Z, K-3IIs does the same or even better. I'm afraid that Ricoh will miss a lot of 645Z sales due to the fact that the K-3II is as good, but a lot cheaper.
06-05-2015, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
Imaging Resource just posted an interesting comparison between the K-3 II and other very high resolution cameras (full frame and medium format). In pixel shift mode the K-3 II seems to outpace the D810 in terms of image quality and sharpness. Interested to see what you guys think of that...

Pentax K-3 II Review: First Shots - Tech2
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
06-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hasn't this one been posted several times already?

06-05-2015, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Hasn't this one been posted several times already?
Yes it has, but within other threads and as individual posts! Now it's on his own Thread !
06-05-2015, 04:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Lucky Pentax users, they do not need to buy very expensive cameras such as the D810 or the 645Z, K-3IIs does the same or even better. I'm afraid that Ricoh will miss a lot of 645Z sales due to the fact that the K-3II is as good, but a lot cheaper.
for static subjects this could be true but as soon as you need to take a high res picture of a slightly moving target the whole story is not true....
but yes there is for sure a big marketing / promotional potential behind it. And for sure some niche professionals like painters & some studio work which will benefit from such a technology.
Especially if you think that you can live in both worlds having a nice camera for all sorts of scenarios(wildlife, travel, landscape, hobby) and a high res for studio work and all this in one compact kit.
06-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For Pentax users, we like to think it is true... but for Canikon users, it is likely not true. At the end of the day, most existing Canikon APS-C users will still upgrade to a D750 or D810 or 5DIII for their money.

06-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm afraid that Pentax users won't buy a Pentax full frame anymore, due to the fact that the K-3II will deliver more resolution, thanks to pixel shift, than the more expensive full frame.
06-05-2015, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm afraid that Pentax users won't buy a Pentax full frame anymore, due to the fact that the K-3II will deliver more resolution, thanks to pixel shift, than the more expensive full frame.
Only those like me with no money... the K-3ii is kind of an equalizer. Something to let us little guys play with the big boys in some situations. The constraints are such that I have no idea exactly how often I'd be able to use it. Early mornings of sunsets when it's dead still. Images of architecture. I'd love to do the insides of some churches etc with one. But for many of my images, I'm waiting for breaks in the breeze already. Having to fire off 4 images isn't going to make that any easier.

But hey, right now I'm arranging to sell some stuff, hopefully enough to get myself a K-3ii and get a start on a 150-450. I love my A-400 but the 150-450 is sharper, by a fair margin. It's tough when a lens like that comes out, and you know every 400mm image you take could be better, and I take a lot. I'm just not sure how often a K-3ii would actually be like that.

Last edited by normhead; 06-05-2015 at 09:20 AM.
06-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Boy, pixel-shift must be the holy grail I'm just not getting. Gotta agree with Max on this. How often are you going to be shooting a static subject throughout the frame with absolutely no wind? I suspect we're going to get a lot of shooters producing less-clear images than if they had settled from a single 24mp image in the first place. If I was doing a ton of high-end product photography, I would very much understand the need. For regular shooting, not at all.
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Boy, pixel-shift must be the holy grail I'm just not getting. Gotta agree with Max on this. How often are you going to be shooting a static subject throughout the frame with absolutely no wind? I suspect we're going to get a lot of shooters producing less-clear images than if they had settled from a single 24mp image in the first place. If I was doing a ton of high-end product photography, I would very much understand the need. For regular shooting, not at all.
But you have to admit, as frilly things go... it's a nice frill.

It's just not meat and potatoes , thats all.
06-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry, I'm not following your logic. APS-C and "full frame" are two different formats, with different characteristics, including DOF, FOV, and viewfinder size. Pixel shift is useless for moving subjects, landscapes on a windy day, and for people who don't use tripods.
06-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
For Pentax users, we like to think it is true... but for Canikon users, it is likely not true. At the end of the day, most existing Canikon APS-C users will still upgrade to a D750 or D810 or 5DIII for their money.
I guess that I must be the exception then. This DX Nikon guy just purchased a K3II instead of upgrading to a Nikon full frame
06-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Why would Pentax leave pixel shift out of the FF when it has already come out on an earlier lower end camera, the K3 II. They already have the technology so it is counterintuitive to assume otherwise. What they need to overcome is getting pixel shift into the medium format camera so it doesn't mess with those sales. However that will be user dependent since I would suspect that most users of medium format are studio shooters and many times they use models who MOVE therefore removing pixel shift from the equation.
06-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I guess that I must be the exception then. This DX Nikon guy just purchased a K3II instead of upgrading to a Nikon full frame
Fantastic and welcome to the world of Pentax. I'm sure many here will be interested in learning your key reasons for going to the K-3 II. What several have mentioned or implied is the likely quite small number of shots taken that combine static subjects, no wind, and a tripod. Are those your kind of shots?