Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pixel Shift RAW: LR5 vs Silkypix 5

Did a test shot using a DFA100mm WR and tripod. Used the same image for processing, no changes - as shot. The first one is the LR5 image at 932KB, the Silkypix image is 7.01MB, you can also see there was a slight breeze in the lower right corner of the second one. Looks like it might be worth learning Silkypix, at least until LR catches up.

Edit to add the RAW image started out as 103MB

Another Edit - "Silkypix 5" is actually Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5.4, thanks rawr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by longbow; 06-05-2015 at 09:19 PM.
06-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What is the result like with Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5.4 supplied with the camera?

Or is that what you are talking about when you say 'Silkypix 5'?
06-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What is the result like with Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5.4 supplied with the camera?
Or is that what you are talking about when you say 'Silkypix 5'?
You're right, what came with the camera - Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5.4

It's been edited, thanks
06-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
It's been edited, thanks
Cool. I just asked because proper Silkypix itself has multiple versions. It's possible that they too have updated the 'proper' Silkypix to support the K-3 II. Folks might get confused about what Silkypix you used.

06-06-2015, 03:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Did a test shot using a DFA100mm WR and tripod. Used the same image for processing, no changes - as shot. The first one is the LR5 image at 932KB, the Silkypix image is 7.01MB, you can also see there was a slight breeze in the lower right corner of the second one. Looks like it might be worth learning Silkypix, at least until LR catches up.

Edit to add the RAW image started out as 103MB

Another Edit - "Silkypix 5" is actually Pentax Digital Camera Utility v5.4, thanks rawr
Ok so can anyone help me out here? The second pic is 7MB vs 932kb - tine first pic is not as sharp as the second but considering the the file size difference why would we expect anything else? What am I missing seems we are talking apples and oranges? Not being sarcastic just trying to get this clear.
Thanks
06-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Ok so can anyone help me out here? The second pic is 7MB vs 932kb - tine first pic is not as sharp as the second but considering the the file size difference why would we expect anything else? What am I missing seems we are talking apples and oranges? Not being sarcastic just trying to get this clear.
Thanks
Look at the EXIF data. These are processed images in jpeg. Not the original RAW format. The first image is 98kB and the second one is 120 kB. That is the difference you are seeing. The numbers posted in the original post were before uploading to the site.
06-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Thanks
Thats what I thought at first too, but you don't have to zoom in very far to see the difference - the first one quickly becomes very pixelated. Personally, I really don't think that Pentax's software does it justice either. Just don't understand how 7mb is the you get from a 103mb image, seems like something is missing. But I'm sure someone will develope software to take advantage of all that data. I don't plan on putting much more time into pixel shifting until the software is improved, it was the least reason I bought the K-3II to begin with, so not a big deal.
06-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
longbow,

Try saving the files as tiffs instead of jpeg. You should see some pretty big files there.

06-06-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Try saving the files as tiffs instead of jpeg. You should see some pretty big files there
Thank you, I'll do that
06-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But isnt a part of the difference the Pentax Forums processing? Since the photos were uploaded to the forum, they got resized and recompressed automatically, which affects image quality. It looks like a good comparison, but you have to look at the actual photos, not further recompressed images.
06-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Lightroom gives you a fair bit of control over size, quality, sharpening, etc. when exporting (not to mention its internal noise reduction, sharpening, clarity adjustment, and so on). So for the comparison to be meaningful we'd need to know what settings were used. Also, it looks to me as if there's a blade of grass in the lower right quadrant that moved between shots and that SilkyPix interpreted as four different objects. That's an odd artifact of its attempt at deghosting.
06-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Look at the EXIF data. These are processed images in jpeg. Not the original RAW format. The first image is 98kB and the second one is 120 kB. That is the difference you are seeing. The numbers posted in the original post were before uploading to the site.
Yes, they are both JPEG, that would be expected for an image posted for Web viewing. Both images have been munged by the forum software, including the EXIF. The difference in file size might be traceable solely to intrinsic difference between the two images. JPEG is strange that way. File size varies.

Steve
06-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter

To the OP...This is a little off-topic, but I would suggest hosting through Flickr or similar and posting through to moderate-sized versions for display and providing a separate link to the full resolution version. Flickr actually provides the BB code snippet to accomplish the former.

Example:

Display a moderate-sized image hosted at Flickr:

Link to the full version:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7638/16355159713_d254bd7327_o_d.jpg

Steve
06-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Everyone thanks for your help this place is great !!

gaweidert, used your TIFF suggestion. This photo is PS (no tripod, so please excuse the blur) processed TIFF in camera which gave me a 69mb file. It was too dark, so imported into LR to process further, exported which gave a 11mb JPEG - much better. Can't see a way to export as TIFF with LR, am I missing something ?

stevebrot - I'll check into Flicker, seems like a good idea, thanks
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have the K-3 and when taking a HDR in RAW it creates this huge file containing all files taken and when opened in Adobe or Pentax software it only displays one of the files so the only way to get a processed jpg or tiff is to do it in the camera or use Pentax software to extract the files and do a HDR merge in photoshop or what ever software you like.
May this be the same with the pixel shift thingy?