Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3, K-3ll Compatible SD Cards.

G'day all.

With the release of the new K-3ll, I'm looking to upgrade in the next month to either the K-3 or K-3ll. Still checking prices, weighing up options.

I was looking at what SD card to get with the K3 or K3ll. Having asked a few K3/K3ll sellers about what cards would be better, and would a UHS-ll card work, or stick with the UHS-1 cards.

Specs on the K3 and K3ll just say, "Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC, EyeFi, FLU "

I have been told different things, one said yes cards like the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-II Card 32GB - 280MB/s, or Lexar Professional 1000x SDHC Card UHS-II 32GB - 150MB/sec, will work in the K3 and K3ll.

Another said no the faster UHS-ll cards wont work with the K3/K3ll, and to get the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Card 32GB - 95MB/s or Lexar Professional 633x SDHC Card UHS-I 32GB - 95MB/sec

As a lot of my photography is of dirtbikes/motocross and surfing. I figured the faster the card the better.

Any help/advice about what cards to use would be greatly appreciated.

06-05-2015, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
G'day all.

With the release of the new K-3ll, I'm looking to upgrade in the next month to either the K-3 or K-3ll. Still checking prices, weighing up options.

I was looking at what SD card to get with the K3 or K3ll. Having asked a few K3/K3ll sellers about what cards would be better, and would a UHS-ll card work, or stick with the UHS-1 cards.

Specs on the K3 and K3ll just say, "Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC, EyeFi, FLU "

I have been told different things, one said yes cards like the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-II Card 32GB - 280MB/s, or Lexar Professional 1000x SDHC Card UHS-II 32GB - 150MB/sec, will work in the K3 and K3ll.

Another said no the faster UHS-ll cards wont work with the K3/K3ll, and to get the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Card 32GB - 95MB/s or Lexar Professional 633x SDHC Card UHS-I 32GB - 95MB/sec

As a lot of my photography is of dirtbikes/motocross and surfing. I figured the faster the card the better.

Any help/advice about what cards to use would be greatly appreciated.
All SD cards will work with the K-3. UHS-I speeds are supported, but UHS-II speeds are not, so those cards will revert to the UHS-I data bus. UHS-II cards have an extra set of pins which would go unused.

I recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro (UHS-I) series, as our tests have shown that they exceed the camera's maximum read/write speed and thus provide optimal performance.

Sandisk Extreme PRO 32GB SD SDHC Memory Card U3 UHS I 95MB S Ultra HD 4K 32G | eBay

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2015, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
That's true. I shoot Sandisk Extreme Pro or Transcend 600x USH-1, for example, and they perform very well.

But no matter the card, you will still have to deal with the physical limitations of the memory buffer (60 frames in JPEG, about 23 in RAW), and the fact that no matter what you do, 8 fps is the fastest you can shoot. Which is still probably fast enough for any UHS-1 card to handle.

Pic sort of related:

MotoX Trio in orange - North Coast Road Racers on Flickr
06-06-2015, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

I'm planning to pick up a pair of this cards since Adorama still has a pretty good sale on them. I'm glad this was being discussed because I was just wondering about the same thing yesterday!

06-06-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
I'm planning to pick up a pair of this cards since Adorama still has a pretty good sale on them. I'm glad this was being discussed because I was just wondering about the same thing yesterday!
That's a good deal. Most of the time, the Extreme Plus cards (80mb/s) will cost you a bit less - and that card also outperforms the K-3 by all accounts. I believe Adam made that point when he was doing the testing.
06-06-2015, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If your *computer* supports UHS-II, it can make it much faster to pull the data off the card. So it might be worth it to get the faster card even if your camera doesn't support it (that, and your next camera might).
06-06-2015, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

I bought this 64 GB card for my Pentax K-3 and it is plenty fast. Check out my review to see R/W speeds. Video also shot on my K-3 with Sigma 50 f.1 4 DG EX HSM

06-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll go the Sandisk Extreme PRO 32GB SD SDHC Memory Card U3 UHS I 95MB S Ultra HD 4K 32G | eBay
The link Adam posted was the same one I was looking at on Ebay.. Good price..

Nice shot rawr. I also own/ride a KTM450EXC.

06-07-2015, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Watch for fakes. I'd suggest buying from a reputable retailer and you will probably get the real one.

I've been shooting with the Extreme Pro 95mb cards 16 and 32 gb for quite a while. They work very well, are reliable and don't seem to fail.