Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New K-3

Recd. my K-3 from B&H as my 70th birthday present to self. It joins my K-5 & K-5IIS photographic arsenal. As a Pentax user since 1965, a few comments:
Shutter sounds totally different than K-5.
Larger screen nice. Colours stand out in full sun.
File format preview and ability to change modes easily--great.
Only a few more mb [c. 28-31 vs. 25-28 (K-5)] on first series of shots, 25% greater mp doesn't = 25% more mb.
B&H didn't tell me my K-5 camera to computer cable would not work on the K-3, so had to order a second time. Yup, USB 3.0 has a different micro end.
Didn't find any problems in the K-3 user transition or back and forth.
Haven't tried out the video, but flowers in Macro don't move much, so never have used it on previous Pentax.
Don't see any difference in the autofocus speed or accuracy after 100 pics with a Pentax 50 Macro lens. Several times on white flowers it did the back and forth race, trying to find a focus point.
Miss the iso 80.
The grip on the K-3 seems no different than my K-5s?
For $749, a bargain, since the K-5IIS was almost $1300.
From what I can see, yet another great product from Pentax, errrrr....Richoh.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Is the shutter sound a good different or bad different? (congrats on your purchase).
06-09-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john mood Quote
Shutter sounds totally different than K-5.
Yes! Isn't it nice?

B&H didn't tell me my K-5 camera to computer cable would not work on the K-3, so had to order a second time. Yup, USB 3.0 has a different micro end.
Your K-5 has a standard USB 2.0 micro fitting and the cable should fit your K-3. The key is that the fitting has two sections. The right-hand side fits a USB 2.0 micro B while the left-hand side has contacts specific to USB 3.0 micro B. The USB 3.0 micro B cable uses both sides. To use a USB 2.0 cable, plug it into the right-hand side of the fitting.

All that aside, the USB 3.0 cable has potential for much higher data throughput and is worth having. On the other hand, I usually recommend that people use a card reader for image download rather than using a cable.

Steve
06-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Don't see any difference in the autofocus speed or accuracy after 100 pics with a Pentax 50 Macro lens. Several times on white flowers it did the back and forth race, trying to find a focus point.
The K-3 has a much stronger AF motor for screw-driven lenses and generally has much faster focus than previous bodies. That may not be as apparent with macro lenses due to the very long focus throw*. As for the "back and forth" with white flowers, the system must have something to focus on. A good rule for comparison might be the ease of manual focus on a legacy 35mm SLR. If you would find it difficult using manual focus with a decent focus screen and viewfinder, it is a cinch that the AF system will struggle as well.

Steve

* FWIW, my K-3 AF speed is palpably improved over that in the K10D it replaced. This is true for all my gear-driven AF lenses including my Sigma 50mm macro. I have never owned a K-5/ii/iis and as always, YMMV

06-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

B&H didn't tell me my K-5 camera to computer cable would not work on the K-3, so had to order a second time. Yup, USB 3.0 has a different micro end

Don't you get a USB 3.0 micro B cable with the camera ? That's a bit slack of Pentax to not supply one with the new camera... I'm about to get a K3ll. Guess I'll have to get a USB 3.0 micro B cable also...
06-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
Don't you get a USB 3.0 micro B cable with the camera ? That's a bit slack of Pentax to not supply one with the new camera...
That is the way it is...no video out cable either. I believe that the last Pentax model that shipped with a USB cable might have been the K-01.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-11-2015 at 08:11 AM.
06-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

Do you like the K5 IIs better or the K3?

06-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Comments back:
Halfspin--shutter comparison side by side with K-5IIs: K-3 quieter, higher frequency click. Just different, not bad.
Stevebrot--concerning the USB 3.0: my computer (Mac Pro dual quad core)has USB 2.0. I've always downloaded directly from the camera as the SD cards were a bitch to get out of the K-5, K-10, etc. in my experience.
But now they seem to come out of the K-3 easier, but to me, it is much easier to plug in one cable, then the alternative method. Aperture recognizes the camera and does a perfect transfer. Unfortunately, USB 3.0 not in my future
until I get the new Mac Pro which won't happen in the near future. I already tried the smaller port of the USB 3.0, but is actually smaller than the PC/AV port on the K-5 and K-5IIs. That said, my "My Book" 4TB external drive has a cable that works.
Nonetheless, B&H are sending me a proper cable for the K-3 ($3).
Craig66--Very surprising that Ricoh can't throw that $1 item in the box! So be aware when ordering.
Matt_lin18--So far in comparison shooting (macro) I don't see anything noticeable except for a slightly larger file size. I do like some of the new dial setup and gadgetry, but after doing macro for 30 yrs., I always shoot in AV mode, with the lowest iso, attempting
to get the best depth of field for the subject. I do miss the 80 sensitivity of the K-5, but probably the 20% difference is not noticeable in the long run?
To be honest, the K-5 and K-5IIs did everything I needed. It is really a matter of keeping updated to the most current level of technology if one can afford it--but that can be a slippery slope, i.e., USB 3.0, but computer with a 2.0.
Stevebrot-- re. focusing in macro. I've always understood the technical side of this issue, but that doesn't keep it from being frustrating at times. Fun and games. One needs some kind of challenge.