Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash photos come out very dark

My K3 has suddenly started doing this.

When I select the X mode, it sets 1/180 (as usual) and I can set the F number and can also set the ISO value.

But no matter what settings I use, the image is very dark - both in the viewfinder (very obviously) and when I view the file. The file (DNG) can be adjusted so it looks right but it needs the Photoshop CS3 raw import exposure setting to be about 1.75 to 2.5.

I wonder if there is some setting on the camera which has got changed, but sure as hell I can't find it!

Otherwise, the camera works great. Normally I use the TAV mode.

It is as if the flash has lost power, but surely the camera does TTL. The flash itself seems plenty powerful enough.

I would really appreciate any suggestions...

06-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Flash exposure compensation set at -2 or something springs to mind. (p-41 of the manual).

And are we talking an external flash, or built-in.
06-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't see any reason to shoot in X mode. Balance ambient and flash for best results. Do some testing in various modes and post results.

Finally, all flash use must be done with ISO set specifically. I use TAv 75% of the time, but it isn't designed for flash use - ever. Learn how to use flash properly to balance lighting - and you won't have any complaints. Of course, this also means you'll be free of pTTL for the vast majority of your flash shooting. It isn't a big deal - in fact, it will improve your technique!
06-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also check to make sure you don't have the flash set as wireless controller.

06-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes - the flash was set to be a Master flash

Very sorry everyone!