Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II Pixel shift for Macro?

I've been pondering if I'd be better off getting the K-3 II, or getting a K-3 and a Lens (to replace my K5), but I've been finding a maddening lack of information. I already know that I'm probably going to find limited use for the astro and GPS, though I don't remind mind replacing a flash with them either. So basically the only thing that set the II apart from the original (as far as I can tell), is better SR, and pixel shift. I've seen no first hand, real-world, information on whether the SR improvement is really all that much better (I actually haven't seen it mentioned at all in the scarce impressions I've found).

I also have seen very little real world impressions on PS, especially in the areas I'd be interested in; macro photography namely. I've seen lots of talk about using it to boost resolution, which isn't really what I even thought it was for, but pretty much nothing on the two areas that seem the most interesting to me. Reducing noise at higher ISO, and increasing color depth.

Also, outside of the GPS, PS, and possible SR improvement, is there any other real improvements to the camera over the K-3?

Come of you lucky folk that have had the camera for a bit now, do us a favor and dump your impressions here (with sample shots) quickly! The rest of us are slowly going insane with anticipation.

06-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

I have had the k3ii for a little over a week now, haven't had nearly enough time to mess with it as of late. I also have a 100mm macro lens arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll get a chance to bust out the tripod and take some pixel shifted macro shots to see if it improves anything.

I came from a K5-iis (which is now on backup duty) so I can't speak of it in comparison to the K3, but I find the autofocus is a decent bit faster in achieving a solid lock. SR seems to be nice, I shot a couple shots at a friends wedding with my 50-135mm at 135mm iso 3200 and shutter speed of around 1/60ish and was getting really good results. I am a fan of the camera and feel its worth it's price of admission.
06-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

Yes me too. I have had my k3ii -wk & have a Pentax 100 m macro coming tomorrow. This weekend for sure I'll take the time to play with it. I have had an old Pentax 100m macro I used on a MEsuper, but could not justify the expense of a new one when I got my k10. But with the $ 300 off sale, I couldn't resist.
06-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
I can't wait for both of your impressions! The main reason I'm replacing my K-5 is the anti-aliasing filter, along with the resolution bump, having PS would be a nice bit of added value for indoor macro shots (especially if it doesn't cause LR to creak, like the High Res mode, 40Mpix, shots on my EM5 II). I wonder if the PS is more robust than its equivalent on Olympus, I noticed I can't get some shots, in studio conditions, if my a/c is on, even on heavier objects the slightest bit of motion can cause the weird "pixel checkerboard" effect. Being able to up the ISO a bit while shooting macro would also be nice, though... maybe not, I suppose, if it already on a tripod a 2 second exposure isn't much better than a 1 second one.

I love new cameras, and actually have a fortunate bit of extra cash sitting around to consider adding them to my shelf. But I hate the anticipation. Number sign first world problems, and all that jazz.

Also, congrats on your first post, Tico! Welcome.

06-12-2015, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #5

Finally got a minute to mess with some macro stuff (between crazy overtime at work and weddings weddings weddings things have been crazy) It seems like Pixel shift is subtle, but it definitely has its uses.

Without pixel shift:

With pixel shift:

Without pixel shift:

With pixel shift:

Without pixel shift:

With pixel shift:
06-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Interesting. On the coin, was there a slight amount of movement? It seems like the borders are slightly pixelated on the PS shot? I don't notice it on the lens shot. I notice a little bit of it on the still life shot though, faintly on the carpeting on in the background mostly, not really on the foreground as much. Were you using live view or mirror lock up, and a remote or delay?

Outside of the faint pixels, it seems like they are a bit sharper, not dramatically, but noticeably. Moreso, the PS shots seem a bit punchier, more contrasty, perhaps.

Edit: I just noticed your comments, and took a couple second to peek a bit closer. On the lens, it is a dramatic improvement actually. Though that is some funky moire.

Last edited by Omestes; 06-12-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I was hasty
06-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Omestes Quote
Interesting. On the coin, was there a slight amount of movement? It seems like the borders are slightly pixelated on the PS shot? I don't notice it on the lens shot. I notice a little bit of it on the still life shot though, faintly on the carpeting on in the background mostly, not really on the foreground as much. Were you using live view or mirror lock up, and a remote or delay?

Outside of the faint pixels, it seems like they are a bit sharper, not dramatically, but noticeably. Moreso, the PS shots seem a bit punchier, more contrasty, perhaps.

Edit: I just noticed your comments, and took a couple second to peek a bit closer. On the lens, it is a dramatic improvement actually. Though that is some funky moire.
Yeah that is the first time I've had moire appear ever, and that is a really funky place for it. It is possible the coin did have some movement, my tripod is just a cheap amazon basics 20 dollar special and isn't the most stable of tripods. I was using a remote with a 3 second delay for everything, focusing in live view x2 magnification.