Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well it just so happens that I love the K-5 II/s
And so that makes it the best camera in the world.
Period.
Bar-none.
For infinity.
And now I'm done ...
Thanks I will definitely consider the K5 iis. It's a step over the K5 and the cheaper price of it compared to the K3 gives me more breathing room to buy lenses.

06-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
Thanks I will definitely consider the K5 iis. It's a step over the K5 and the cheaper price of it compared to the K3 gives me more breathing room to buy lenses.
Indeed! Now make yourself a solemn promise to never, ever handle a K-3, even on a lark.

Steve

(...the ultimate enemy of good is "better"...whatever form "better" may take...)
06-17-2015, 01:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Translate from romanian and read this article. It's very interesting.

În Tufi?uri - cu Mircea Bezergheanu: Aparatul nou, mai slab decât cel vechi? Gre?it, nu suntem preg?ti?i suficient!

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 06-17-2015 at 02:09 AM.
06-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Some VERY good information there! Also some great images too! Thank you for sharing.

06-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Thanks for the article. Here's a Google Translate link if anyone is interested in reading it but too lazy to translate.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ro&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww....cel-vechi.html
06-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
My budget is around $1000 for a complete system right now. Should I get a K5 ($250 on these forums), a K5 II/s ($400) or the K3 ($600)?

I'll be mainly shooting competitive business type competitions (minimal action) with people/groups of people. Lighting is usually good at local/state competitions as they are hosted in schools or conference centers. It's not optimal lighting but I do plan to get a Yongnuo speedlight for around $70 as well.

However, when you get to the international competition, it's a rather big event with about 20,000 people. The awards ceremony is in a giant room or arena (they rotate locations every 4 years) with a big stage usually in the middle with tons of bright moving lights and lots of bright cheerful colors. When people go up to their awards, it's a very fast paced process and I need to be able to catch their expression and joy as they receive their award.

Will the AF tracking on the K5's be enough? Or should I go for the K3 with better AF? Or should I just pick up the K5 and invest more money in lenses?

Here's what the international competition looked like last year, it was in Atlanta. The international competition was in Orlando this year and looked similar, except the stage was in the middle with 4 camera men on each side broadcasting live to 4 big TV screens on top of the stage.

The picture above was taken with a Canon T3i with the 18-55 kit. I did not take the picture, I just found the image online and pulled the data from EXIF.
Based on your budget, I suggest getting a k5IIs plus a DA* 55-135, you should be able to get those types of photos with confidence. The picture you have shown here is typical from users with a beginner DSLR + kit lens. Also, if you can manage, I suggest a k-3 would be a better choice (for better AF, WB and ability to crop).
06-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Based on your budget, I suggest getting a k5IIs plus a DA* 55-135, you should be able to get those types of photos with confidence. The picture you have shown here is typical from users with a beginner DSLR + kit lens. Also, if you can manage, I suggest a k-3 would be a better choice (for better AF, WB and ability to crop).
Thanks for the suggestions! I just bought a K5 off the marketplace and it's on its way to me right now. I guess I don't really need the K3 because I don't need super fast AF, WB can always be corrected in post and the higher resolution isn't a huge deal. Plus I snagged it for only $230, so leaves more money for lenses. The DA* 50-135 looks awesome but I might prefer something a little wider like the 18-135 that's so popular in the Pentax world. Do you think the aperture (f3.5-5.6) is wide enough for lighting conditions on a theater stage? Like your typical high school theater stage with a bunch of lights on it.

As for as lens choices go, I think I may opt for the 35mm f2.4 or the 40mm XS or Limited and the 18-135mm WR as I'm lacking the wide end. What do you think?

06-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Good question, it is not easy to do with one lens and one camera in the same event. Some how one would need to change lenses or have two lenses mounted on two cameras. I shoot events and stage photos, the lenses to use are 16-50 and 50-135 both mounted on k-5IIs and k-3. You can switch lenses if you only have one camera, it is doable except that you have to know when to anticipate to change lens (off stage, 16-50 and on stage, 50-135). With the 18-135 it is perfect for outdoors during the day when you have plenty of light, but it is not quite suitable for indoors when you also need flash; although you might be able to do it for stage photos when there is plenty of stage lighting at the long end. OTOH, if you have the 18-135, you could add a couple of fast manual lenses to cover the medium (35/2.8 or 50/f1.8) and long end (135/f3.5).