Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

PEF Files - Mac won't open!!!

I just upgraded to a K-3 ii from a K-r, so I was so excited to take it for a run today (shooting in RAW as usual), but when I put my sd card into my Mac I can't see any of my pics!!! What is happening?!? How can I see my pics? I've always used RAW, so I'm really not sure what is going on.

Thanks for your help!

06-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You'll need to [a] Update the RAW software you use and hope that the changes in the .PEF formatting are supported or [b] Choose .DNG rather than .PEF for RAW.
Adobe have a DNG Converter for free download which may help you with your already saved .PEF files.
06-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndKM Quote
I just upgraded to a K-3 ii from a K-r, so I was so excited to take it for a run today (shooting in RAW as usual), but when I put my sd card into my Mac I can't see any of my pics!!! What is happening?!? How can I see my pics? I've always used RAW, so I'm really not sure what is going on.

Thanks for your help!
You can also use the Pentax software to convert PEFs to DNGs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't hold your breath Apple are very slow to add support for the Pentax file formats. It may be Pentax's fault too in not sharing. But follow the advise above and add a couple of steps to your workflow.

06-14-2015, 01:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The PEF-format is slightly different for each Pentax DSLR (main difference is the camera name ).. This means that when Pentax releases a new DSLR then the software that handles PEF-files needs to be updated too, for the new camera. This is the same for other makers too. Apple is unfortunately slow to update their built-in RAW-conversion for Pentax, it can take 6 months or more after Pentax has released a new camera on the market.

But, fortunately Pentax has thought about this and therefore has an option to switch to DNG as RAW-file format. Adobe DNG is a general RAW-format that works with most RAW-conversion and RAW-development software, and it also works with Mac's. So until Apple has updated their RAW-conversion for the K-3 II's PEF-format, do use DNG instead. It's an option in the camera settings in the K-3, simply set RAW to DNG instead of PEF.

Pentax own Digital Camera Utility that came with your camera can read the PEF-files from it, but this software is quite terrible on Mac. Looks and feels like a PC-Windows program and is not updated to work with Apples latest window technique introduced in Yosemite.

So, until time being, please use DNG. It works as good as PEF-files. You won't loose any image data nor quality by using DNG instead of PEF. I recently got my K-S2 and Apple has no support for the PEF-files from this one also, but DNG works just fine. I use Apple Photos for RAW development.
06-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shooting RAW+ is also an option. It will give you JPEG's you can immediately use, plus RAW's (PEF or DNG) you can use down the track, once Apple learns that the K-3 II exists.