Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Close Call!

I was crossing the road on Friday with my two-week old K-3 + Sigma 70-300 APO dangling from my right shoulder when all of a sudden I felt the strap give way. Instinctively I grabbed the strap with my left hand just before the camera hit the tarmac. After my pulse returned to normal, I checked to see what happened and discovered that the plastic buckle was missing. Well, I soon found the buckle or what remained of it in the middle of the road - it had snapped in two! (I only found the half with the Pentax logo). And before anyone suggests that I am somehow to blame, the strap was threaded properly - obviously, some kind of manufacturing glitch. Luckily, my instinctive reaction prevented a major disaster - wonder how I would have been able to prove that the strap was defective. Anyway, I threaded the strap through the strap lugs, tied a knot and spent the rest of the day enjoying my Pentax

This is what snapped:

Attached Images

06-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a close call! I've had similar issues with my K5 and large lenses. The D rings that the strap threads through stretch under the weight of a large lens and I found my K5 and large Sigma 70-200 to be too much for it and my experience was just like yours. Almost lost it and just caught it in time. I now use a Carry Speed strap which attaches to the bottom of the camera.
06-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good catch! The plastic may have been knocked against something hard and sharp which weakened it. After some bending and twisting from normal use the plastic may have broken like a paperclip that was bent too much. I have often thought about just how strong or weak this plastic is. Sometimes I carry my K-3 by wrapping the entire strap around my wrist and I grab whatever is left of the strap with my hand. If one of the ends should break then I still have the entire strap wrapped around my wrist and one more strap end holding on to the camera.
06-14-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go here quickly: OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling

06-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Time to invest in a Cotton Carrier system. I've had mine for 3 years now and will never go back to any other kind of strap/holster system. They are super comfortable, rock solid and worth every penny.
06-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Good catch! The plastic may have been knocked against something hard and sharp which weakened it. After some bending and twisting from normal use the plastic may have broken like a paperclip that was bent too much. I have often thought about just how strong or weak this plastic is. Sometimes I carry my K-3 by wrapping the entire strap around my wrist and I grab whatever is left of the strap with my hand. If one of the ends should break then I still have the entire strap wrapped around my wrist and one more strap end holding on to the camera.
Camera is only a few week old and used a handful of times - no chance that it was damaged during use. Definitely an assembly line anomaly.

---------- Post added 06-14-15 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Time to invest in a Cotton Carrier system. I've had mine for 3 years now and will never go back to any other kind of strap/holster system. They are super comfortable, rock solid and worth every penny.
Wow, just took a look on Amazon. A bit pricey, but may very well be worth it.

---------- Post added 06-14-15 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks for that. I will be looking at alternative camera straps/carriers - I actually had an OP/TECH strap (not the sling) which I used as an incentive to sell my Nikon D90 a few years back..
06-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Cotton carrier are the best. I have the front one and the gun carrier type , marvelous

06-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Cotton carrier are the best. I have the front one and the gun carrier type , marvelous
This Cotton Carrier-like rig has got excellent reviews (thinking of getting it):

Amazon.com : Movo Photo MB1000 Multi Camera Carrying Vest with Side Holster : Camera And Optics Carrying Straps : Camera & Photo
06-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Think of it like buying a tripod. Invest the money in a good one and it will last you forever.
06-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My vote is for a sling. The Op/Tech makes sense because you aren't forced to use the tripod mount. I have the BlackRapid but actually got in the habit of using a wrist strap with the K-01, and stuck with it for typical outings other than when on formal assignment. I'm shooting with primes more now, and the wrist strap is fine with fairly light lenses. Camera goes into the center-open bag at rest.
06-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie70 Quote
Camera is only a few week old and used a handful of times - no chance that it was damaged during use. Definitely an assembly line anomaly.[COLOR="Silver"]
Do you still have the piece you found and can you post a picture of it? I'm curious to see what it looks like. Maybe it could give us insight into what an aged and abused strap clip that started off being fresh could look like in the future. Accelerated aging?
06-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #12

Gee, I never thought of that happening. I've never had a problem but I think I will check into getting a different strap. I saw this one on Amazon that got good reviews. I don't want a whole vest system like the one posted earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/Focus-F-1-Quick-Shoulder-Cameras/dp/B00J2NVJ7O/ref=sr_...=camera+straps
06-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The Op/Tech makes sense because you aren't forced to use the tripod mount.
This ^^^. I really like some of the fancier systems like Black Rapid but they are not practical if you use a tripod a lot. The OP/Tech system isn't flashy, it just works and is very flexible. You can change out the strap pads with different styles and colors, you use different connector types, you can take off the strap and link the camera connectors together as a hand strap/grip.

If they added a premium padded leather strap pad they would be perfect.

Last edited by jatrax; 06-14-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
06-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
My vote is for a sling. The Op/Tech makes sense because you aren't forced to use the tripod mount. I have the BlackRapid but actually got in the habit of using a wrist strap with the K-01, and stuck with it for typical outings other than when on formal assignment. I'm shooting with primes more now, and the wrist strap is fine with fairly light lenses. Camera goes into the center-open bag at rest.
I've used OpTech straps for many years, with no failures. With my heavy telephoto lens I also use this:

OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector

This really makes carrying a large lens much more comfortable, and takes the strain off the camera/lens connection. To use the camera you don't have to remove the Support Adaptor, simply lift the camera up, and start shooting. It connects to the OpTech strap with quick release buckles.

Also, for double security, using one of these Stabilizer Straps will still secure the camera if something fails in the strap:

OP/TECH USA Stabilizer Strap

One thing about OpTech, if you encounter a product failure; I'm sure they would replace the product for you. Everything is made right here in the USA!

Last edited by csa; 06-14-2015 at 09:27 AM.
06-14-2015, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie70 Quote
That's got "Dork" written all over it