Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture value changing by itself in AV mode

I was shooting various subjects this morning and noticed that the aperture value was going up, with no input from me whatsoever. I use the AF button and have disabled shutter half press AF. I never even touched the rear wheel. I was reviewing pics and noticed some were F22! I reset the aperture to 1.8 (FA 77) and took two pics--the second was 2.0! What could be causing this?

06-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do you have 'Auto EV compensation' set to 'On'?
[Menu > C1 > 6. Auto EV Compensation > On/Off]

Or have you linked your exposure to your AF point?
[Menu > C1 > 5. Link AE and AF point ]

Or have you been accidentally locking the EV with your AF button?
[Menu > C1 > 4. AE-L with AF locked ]

Or have you got bracketing enabled?
06-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Do you have 'Auto EV compensation' set to 'On'?
[Menu > C1 > 6. Auto EV Compensation > On/Off]

Or have you linked your exposure to your AF point?
[Menu > C1 > 5. Link AE and AF point ]

Or have you been accidentally locking the EV with your AF button?
[Menu > C1 > 4. AE-L with AF locked ]

Or have you got bracketing enabled?
Those are all off...however, I think I've figured out part of (if not the entire) problem. When I zoom in on a pic in preview mode immediately after the pic is taken, I realized that there is a latency period before the delete garbage can pops up--within that period I can't zoom in on the photo, and my spins of the rear zoom dial are actually changing the aperture before the zoom function kicks in.
06-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
When I zoom in on a pic in preview mode immediately after the pic is taken, I realized that there is a latency period before the delete garbage can pops up--within that period I can't zoom in on the photo, and my spins of the rear zoom dial are actually changing the aperture before the zoom function kicks in.
Similar experience here, although not with the delete. It catches me on my K100D every time.

06-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my spins of the rear zoom dial are actually changing the aperture before the zoom function kicks in.
Interesting. Never happened to me. There always seems to be 1,000 different possible ways for an issue to occur with modern cameras that bristle with options and features.

Maybe if you set the 'Quick Zoom' playback magnification to 4X or something, you could get by with just one click of the rear e-dial in playback mode.
06-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

Those are all off...however, I think I've figured out part of (if not the entire) problem. When I zoom in on a pic in preview mode immediately after the pic is taken, I realized that there is a latency period before the delete garbage can pops up--within that period I can't zoom in on the photo, and my spins of the rear zoom dial are actually changing the aperture before the zoom function kicks in.
I'm 99% sure this is your problem since it happened to me for a while before I figured out what was happening. I'll almost guarantee you have one of the newer DA lenses and have automatic lens corrections enabled. (distortion, aberration, peripheral illumination, diffraction correction, the last item of the first tab in a K-3 menu). This causes the slight delay while the camera adjusts the image before saving the jpeg, and until that happens you are still controlling camera settings when you spin the dials.

I noticed the slight delay in the image preview before it 'flickered' and I was able to zoom in with my DA 18-135, but not with older M and A series manual lenses. When the preview 'flickered' I noticed that the image seemed to stretch slightly which clued me in. Once I turned off the automatic lens corrections there was no delay.
If you still want to leave the image corrections on, just wait for the image to 'flicker' before you try to zoom in.