Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
I was hoping that I might have missed some setting. This is pretty disappointing. It is a very basic feature every camera should have.
Truly...I have owned a number of cameras (including a Canon digital) and none has had that feature. It is sort of photographic tradition that it stays open while you do your best with timing. While a visible timer might be useful in Bulb, it is not unusual for users turn off the rear LCD under those conditions to avoid light pollution and conserve batteries. Long exposures really eat the juice.

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Exposure being what it is simply counting is generally precise enoungh (1001, 1002, ...). Unlikely you will be off by more than 1/3 e.v.
Absolutely. Bulb exposure is sort of a fact of life with my 4x5 view camera. The slowest shutter speed is 1s which is not quite slow enough in many light regimes. You can get very good at counting or use an audible countdown timer (Hint: phone app).

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i have a $17 intervalometer device for programming a specific time, if i need exposures to match, ie for stitching. But, most of the time i use a $2 cable release and just lock it open and count seconds. I have done this enough against a stopwatch that my time sense is very accurate.
I too have an inexpensive corded remote capable of electronically-timed exposures of several days if needed. I purchased it for that very feature.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2015 at 11:07 PM.
06-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Every smartphone has a countdown timer these days.
I forgot to mention on my previous comment that I downloaded a remote timer app for Android that works well with my K-3. It is called DLSR Remote and is available at Google Play for Android 2.1 and higher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

It can act as either a cable or IR remote and among its features is the ability to do timed and interval shooting (maximum time = 59' 59"). Timed shooting in Bulb requires that the Bulb action be set to "2" (click to open, second click to close) in the custom settings menu. Both the countdown display and audible countdown beep are switchable as settings.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2015 at 10:53 PM.
06-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #18

Good tips, thanks for posting!
07-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I am invading this thread with a stupid question, having my daughter visiting (with her K3 and she is a newbie with this camera) and WE don't know how to set the K3 for Bulb mode ...
She claims that the shutter speed will not exceed 30 seconds even when she sets the camera in B mode.

Obviously, both her and I do not know how to set this up except for the B mode selectable from the dial (button).
Is that really all there is to it?

What is she (myself included) doing wrong?

Thanks !

JP

07-30-2015, 04:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
Last night I tried to shoot some night photos with my K-3. I wanted a shutter speed of more than 30 seconds so I plugged in a remote shutter release and put it in bulb mode. As soon as I press the shutter, the screen goes blank. It does not show how long the shutter has been open for. How do I shoot at a particular shutter speed when in bulb mode? I used to shoot canon before, which used to show time lapsed since the shutter was pressed. I had to guess by counting "Mississippi's".

Is there any setting that should be enabled? I looked in the manual but could not find anything. How do you guys shoot at a particular shutter speed in bulb mode?

Thanks.

There is no shutter speed in bulb mode perse since it is what ever time you hold the shutter release in for. You can use the count method (One Mississippi, two Mississippi) which is pretty accurate for bulb timing or you can get a cable release for small bucks. My cheap cable release a "FOTOGA" brand has a digital timer built in. Got it from Amazon.

Larry

---------- Post added 07-30-15 at 06:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am invading this thread with a stupid question, having my daughter visiting (with her K3 and she is a newbie with this camera) and WE don't know how to set the K3 for Bulb mode ...
She claims that the shutter speed will not exceed 30 seconds even when she sets the camera in B mode.

Obviously, both her and I do not know how to set this up except for the B mode selectable from the dial (button).

What is she (myself included) doing wrong?

Thanks !

JP

Turn the mode dial to (B) bulb. its the round dial on the top left (seen from the shooters view point).

Larry
07-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Turn the mode dial to (B) bulb. its the round dial on the top left (seen from the shooters view point).
Larry
I knew this was a stupid question from me !
Thanks for the hint !
07-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I knew this was a stupid question from me !
Thanks for the hint !

Any time....always glad to help......LOL!
07-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Just to make sure it is super clear...yes, that is all there is to it. But wait! There's more!

B(ulb) can be configured to work in traditional bulb mode (shutter stays open while button is pushed)...
-- or --
...in traditional T(ime) mode (shutter opens on first press and closes when pressed again).

Now how is that for additional flexibility, eh? This is set in the custom menu 1, #7.

You can also add a wired remote to the mix. Most of these feature a lock on the shutter button and some allow for timed exposures of arbitrary length up to several days or until the battery dies from holding the shutter open.

Steve

07-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I believe members have said cheap wired timer remote such as the following work. As long as you camera has a jack for a wired remote that is. Not all the Pentax bodies have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Hasselblad-PowerShot/dp/B003Q9X...+remote+pentax
07-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I believe members have said cheap wired timer remote such as the following work. As long as you camera has a jack for a wired remote that is. Not all the Pentax bodies have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Shutter-Release-Hasselblad-PowerShot/dp/B003Q9X...+remote+pentax
Yep. I own a similar item sold under the Bower name. It is compatible with all Pentax dSLRs having the wired remote connector. Mine will support timed exposure in the range 0 to 99:59' 59" (1 sec increment). Use of an external power supply might be a good idea. Here is a link to the review:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
09-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Flasher Quote
This works well on an android phone with IR capabilities. I use it on a Samsung S4. Just set the camera to Remote IR mode and Bulb Mode 1 in camera setup

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

Would have been a nice feature on the Pentax though and not too hard to implement.
Useful info.... Also wrist watch and/or smartphone apps can do the trick too... Does not mean Pentax should not consider adding this feature to their future cameras....
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One time I worried about it until it hit me that once you are out shooting at 30-seconds, being off by even 5-seconds won't make much of a difference.

Regardless, I have an IR remote app on my phone, which I've found nice as it has a built in timer, and when I was shooting some quite long exposures (on the order of minutes), I used my phone's built in timer to keep track when my 3 minutes were up so I wouldn't have to count or even pay too close attention. When the timer went off, I just pressed the button.

I suspect it won't be too long until Android or some other linux variant is driving our cameras (i.e. our cameras are essentially phones or tablets) and that any app we can get might be used to drive our camera.