Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
And the thing is that I will have a good lens, coupled with my manual lenses. On the other hand, if I go K3 I end up with a great camera body but no so good lens.

Is the K3 really 450 better than the K50?
the K3 really is a great body to have and a joy to use, which is an important part of the deal.
A body like that will last you a very long time. Same way as i am still using my k20d these days.

I'm torn, since i have no experience with the 18-135. But i did make very nice pictures with the 18-55. You just have to know the restrictions of the lens and how to get the most out of it.
The 50 1.7 makes for a nice portrait lens. I do believe this lens combo could keep you busy for the next two years. And by then you might opt for something completely different than the 18-135.

06-15-2015, 01:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I believe there are more things to consider here than just the performance. The K-50 and the K-3 are designed after different philosophies. The key question, I believe, is what philosophy do you like the most? The K-3 has more external controls, it has separate buttons and dials for many settings that are in the menu in the K-50. Sure you can tweak and customise the operation and behavior of the K-50, but K-3 still has more direct access to some things. K-50 also has more extensive and developed automodes and scene modes for JPEG-photography, the K-3 does not have thoose - the automodes in the K-3 are less sophisticated and targeted to advanced amateurs / enthusiasts that knows about aperture, shutter and exposure and mostly shoots RAW, the K-50 is designed more for newcomers and beginners to photography. The K-50 does tries to achieve a good balance between flexibility, advanced features while still offering simple automated operation and gudiance for beginners.

Myself, I got the K-S2 recently. It's quite similar to the K-50 in many ways, but with upgraded electronics and a new exterior design. It's like the MZ-6 (called ZX-L in the US I believe) that was sort of a combination between MZ-5N and MZ-10/50/30.

If you mostly shoot RAW, then you might be less interested in the JPEG-tricks that K-50 (and K-S2) does. Oh and the K-3 has 14 bit colour depth, where's the K-50 has 12.
06-15-2015, 02:13 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I believe there are more things to consider here than just the performance. The K-50 and the K-3 are designed after different philosophies. The key question, I believe, is what philosophy do you like the most? The K-3 has more external controls, it has separate buttons and dials for many settings that are in the menu in the K-50. Sure you can tweak and customise the operation and behavior of the K-50, but K-3 still has more direct access to some things. K-50 also has more extensive and developed automodes and scene modes for JPEG-photography, the K-3 does not have thoose - the automodes in the K-3 are less sophisticated and targeted to advanced amateurs / enthusiasts that knows about aperture, shutter and exposure and mostly shoots RAW, the K-50 is designed more for newcomers and beginners to photography. The K-50 does tries to achieve a good balance between flexibility, advanced features while still offering simple automated operation and gudiance for beginners.

Myself, I got the K-S2 recently. It's quite similar to the K-50 in many ways, but with upgraded electronics and a new exterior design. It's like the MZ-6 (called ZX-L in the US I believe) that was sort of a combination between MZ-5N and MZ-10/50/30.

If you mostly shoot RAW, then you might be less interested in the JPEG-tricks that K-50 (and K-S2) does. Oh and the K-3 has 14 bit colour depth, where's the K-50 has 12.
Thanks for the reply. My issue is that with the K-50 I'll rely on scene modes, whereas with the K3 and a 35mm lens I will have a steeper learning curve. I don't want to rely on the camera to do all the thinking for me. I like using my MX and ME Super - the Super when I need some speed for kids biking along the road etc. So the K3 will be more difficult to learn but hopefully I will grow into it. i looked at the K-S2 but I don't like the flip screen!
06-15-2015, 03:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well you don't have to use the scene modes in the K-50 if you don't like them... I don't use the scene modes in my K-S2. You have full manual control and semi-automatic control with the K-50 like the K-3, so the K-50 also suits more advanced photographers and those wanting to learn, grow and expand their photographic skills. But, the more external controls and direct access in the K-3 is indeed nice - but it comes at a higher price. But yes K-3 may seem like the better choice for you.

06-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a bad deal. The K5 body (in the deal I mentioned above) works out to be 163 - that's about $240.

And the thing is that I will have a good lens, coupled with my manual lenses. On the other hand, if I go K3 I end up with a great camera body but no so good lens.

Is the K3 really 450 better than the K50?

Thanks all, for your considered replies!
That is completely a judgement call. If you are shooting at a distance, a K-50 with an 18-135 is better than a K-3 with an 18-55. If you're using your A-28 which sounds like a fantastic lens, your'e going to get a lot more out of a K-3. But when I'm talking up the 18-135 to a lot of folks, it turns out they don't shoot much over 70mm anyway, so there are better lenses available for close to the same money.

SO if you're one of those people who hardly ever wants to go over 70mm.. you'll get along fine with the K-3 and 18-55. You can crop a K-3 and 18-55 to a 70mm FoV and still have k50 IQ. And an 18-55 on a K-3 is going to give you about 20% more resolution than the same lens on a K-50.The K-3 makes every one of your lenses better.

It really is a choice between a better camera body or a better lens. If you plan to get more lenses. Get the camera body. If this is it for a while, and there's no opportunity for better lenses or bodies in the near future, go for the lens. The 18-135 on a K-50 will give you more opportunities than an 18-55 on a K-3.

OK, I'm done thinking about this... enjoy whatever you get.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2015 at 12:47 PM.
06-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is completely a judgement call. If you are shooting at a distance, a K-50 with an 18-135 is better than a K-3 with an 18-55. If you're using your A-28 which sounds like a fantastic lens, your'e going to get a lot more out of a K-3. But when I'm talking up the 18-135 to a lot of folks, it turns out they don't shoot much over 70mm anyway, so there are better lenses available for close to the same money.

SO if you're one of those people who hardly ever wants to go over 70mm.. you'll get along fine with the K-3 and 18-55. You can crop a K-3 and 18-55 to a 70mm FoV and still have k50 IQ. And an 18-55 on a K-3 is going to give you about 20% more resolution than the same lens on a K-50.The K-3 makes every one of your lenses better.

It really is a choice between a better camera body or a better lens. If you plan to get more lenses. Get the camera body. If this is it for a while, and there's no opportunity for better lenses or bodies in the near future, go for the lens. The 18-135 on a K-50 will give you more opportunities than an 18-55 on a K-3.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Much appreciated!
06-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
. . . the K-50 is designed more for newcomers and beginners to photography. The K-50 does tries to achieve a good balance between flexibility, advanced features while still offering simple automated operation and gudiance for beginners. . . .
Note that the K50's flash isn't automatic. You have to pop it up manually regardless of mode.
06-16-2015, 12:05 AM   #23

Original Poster

I was thinking of choosing the K3 with a DA35mm f2.4, not the 18-55...

06-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I was thinking of choosing the K3 with a DA35mm f2.4, not the 18-55...
Thought you were going to buy in the morning, a day ago :-)

DA35 is a nice lens.
Still, you'd be missing a wide angle if you don't plan to buy for two years or so and the Da35 overlaps a bit with your 28mm. Ofcourse you would have AF...
But i think you need to have a wider range available to you in order to grow.
Don't underestimate the 18-55.
not the most gorgeous pictures, but they do show this is simply a good lens..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grispie/16625759781/in/album-72157644560204299/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/grispie/6864822100/in/album-72157644560204299/
06-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For years all I had was the 18-55 a Sigma 70-300, the Fisheye and the FA 50 1.7. We made 30x20 canvases and 19x13 prints with those images.

Images we sold taken with the 18-55... the little dots are a couple of men, a couple of skidoos and a couple of ice fishing huts, and you can make them out clearly in the 30x20 print.

Not sharp, (probably motion blur from hand holding with along shutter speed. I was in a hurry) but environmental, sometimes sharp is simply over-rated. You go for the look of a painting.

Some of my favourite images were taken with this lens.

To me, the value of sharpness in most cases is vastly over-rated. There are images that have amazing detail of fabric or metal work or something where stunning detail is appreciated, but there are also images that would be great scratched out with a paper and pencil. The kit lens has sufficient sharpness and is really quite functional.

Last edited by normhead; 06-16-2015 at 06:58 AM.
06-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I wouldn't let either zoom lens guide your decision in terms of IQ - the difference favoring the 18-135 just isn't huge. When you need a really sharp image, corner-to-corner, you'll be using the old 50mm most likely. And the 28mm will be fine for use as a small "normal" street shooter, though probably not any better than either zoom in the normal range - where they perform best (the 18-135 particularly). What will be your projected future lens purchases? If you are interested in the 55-300, then the advantage of the 18-135 becomes somewhat limited. It is rather marginal past about 75mm.

Other considerations relate to your personal style of shooting. If you expect to shoot heavily (thousands of images monthly), the K-3 is the better choice because its designed for heavier duty use. Do you like to travel as light as possible? Then the K50 is a very fine choice. If you are going to need a quiet shutter - then the K-3 is much preferable.

Either package deal is good. What fits your style best should govern the decision.
06-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #27
Forum Member

Get the K-3 with the DA35mm f2.4 Macro Limited. A great lens. Then save for the DA 15mm. I love that lens.

Regards,
Dan
06-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

While I already chimed in let me say this. You can't fail here. Either camera and just about any lens combo you pick will work. For many many many years my SLR of choice was a Nikkormat FT3 with a Nikor 50mm F/2. The only other "lens" I had was a 2x tele extender. I borrowed other lenses and used everything from a 6mm fisheye to a 600mm. But the vast majority of shots were made with that 50mm. Yes wider lenses and longer lenses would have been great to have - but I was young and poor and I found a way to make great images with what I had. Lens and equipment can be alluring but in the end - take the shots you can don't moan about the one's you can't.

My personal choice was a K50 with 18-135 because I felt like it would be a great travel lens. I had already made trips with the 18-55/50-200 combo and didn't love the lens swapping. I even took a Nikon superzoom compact on one trip to use due to the annoyance of carrying my K100D Super and the two lenses was too much. Then when I got the 18-135 I found it was a superb lens. Better than anyone prepared me for. Is the 18-55 garbage? No. Is the 18-55 as good from 18-55 as the 18-135, also no. Is this so glaringly obvious that you would throw darts at the pictures 100% accurately if asked to choose which was which - heck no!

You cannot go wrong. Get the lens, the body, the combo - and take pictures.
06-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #29

Hello all. I know I'm on the K3 forum, so try to be unbiased!

Pentax K3 with 18-55 wr lens - 674.00

K-50 with 18-135 wr - 542.00

Price difference: 132.00

NO money left for new lenses for a year or two.

Both cameras new and not grey imports. I am thinking long term, or should I not?

Already have an smc Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 (superb condition) and Pentax-A 28mm (with some dust in the lens). I use these with my MX and ME Super.

You say, I buy in the morning - fed up with trawling the net! (late now in the UK so first thing in the morning I'll see what you have to say...)

Much appreciated folks!
Get the K-3, I own both and the K-3 is much improved over the K-50. Much better auto focus better white balance (I rarely have to set my white balance manually), dual card slots not to mention the AA filter feature and on an on.

Larrymc
06-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #30
Pentaxian

For years all I had was the 18-55 a Sigma 70-300, the Fisheye and the FA 50 1.7. We made 30x20 canvases and 19x13 prints with those images.
nice pics!