Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excited about K-3II?

Is anyone who has a K-3II excited about the Pixel shift or improved AF-C focusing on their new K-3 II? I am concerned by the lack of chatter on the boards about the new camera. I would really like to try it, especially at the current prices, but there has been so little discussion and even fewer pictures posted that I am concerned it is only a minor improvement over my K-3. Hoping to hear from actual owners and users of the K-3ii! Thanks.

06-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

That's what my post is about also "K-3ii hands on info needed". I also am surprised at the lack of information about the K-3ii and I haven't gotten any responses to my questions, so maybe it's not selling very well. Adorama already had it for $100 off for just the weekend and then it went back up.
06-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was on some site yesterday possibly Amazon, I don't remember or maybe it was DPR, in any case it was listed as the 9th best selling camera out of all of them... so I think it's selling pretty well.
06-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered a second K-3 II camerabody :P

I can't say anything about how it is compared to K-3, but the AF and lowlight focusing abilities have been of most concern to me, and I think K-3 II does the job quiet well.

06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm excited. Just ordered my K3 II this morning. ;-)
06-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am, as it still a new toy! Only had it two weeks but done a great deal of shooting. I imagine that its a bit slow on the uptake as I don't think many people with a K-3 would be upgrading to the Mk2 version, and anyone who was not fussed about the pixel shift/built in astrotracer would probably pick up a discounted K3 Mk1.

06-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
To be honest, they said the AF was improved on the K-3 compared to the K-5. And it was, but not as much as I'd hoped. It's a bit faster, but it still hesitates before deciding where to focus after the focus has moved. I think it's called the "double-check", which makes it sound like a feature. But if CaNikon don't need it, why does Pentax? It has tracking, but it's almost impossible to figure out when the camera has lost track of your subject because the points are not continuously lit. Going from the K-3 to the K-3 II probably makes even less of a difference.

Pixel-shift resolution is nice, but it only works when you use a tripod. Which in my case is maybe 2% of the time. So it's not that relevant to me.

So I'm not convinced on the K-3 II. Pentax can win me over if they improve the AF substantially (I also posted on the Ricoh engagement forum what I'd like to see improved), and maybe add a flip-out screen, while not increasing the size/weight of the camera. Maybe they can save weight by moving to a carbon body, like the Nikon D750. That's a fullframe camera, but it's actually lighter than the K-3, while still being weather-sealed.

Last edited by starbase218; 06-15-2015 at 12:13 PM.
06-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The built-in flash of the K3 (mostly for daylight fill-in and off-camera flash triggering) is more use to me than GPS or pixel shift. So I'm not jumping.
06-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to the owners who have replied. I already have and love the K-3 (i was a very early adopter) so my interest, and I would think that of many other K-3 owners, is in hearing the experience of K-3 II owners with the two main new features. I am beginning to think that there have not been many PF users who have obtained the camera. I almost bit on the Adorama offer.
06-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that the K3-II is pretty awesome stuff. But I also figure that with the full frame coming out in the nest few months some people are waiting so wee what it as to offer. I think that the Adorama sale has a lot of people working the numbers right now. Heck, my wife has even said that I can get the 150-450 if I want and she will help pay for it.
06-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm excited about it, sounds like a nice incremental improvement over the K3. But I don't have the cash to upgrade at the moment!
06-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The improved SR and possibly panning-friendly SR would get more use from me than pixel-shift - but it sounds fun! I prefer the K-s2 size but the bonuses on the 3-series are hard to overlook. Seems a lot of worry on forum sites about 'slow sales' on the K-3 II but it really is early for a tidal wave of reports!
06-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The built-in flash of the K3 (mostly for daylight fill-in and off-camera flash triggering) is more use to me than GPS or pixel shift. So I'm not jumping.
This is exactly the reason I jumped on the $675 deal on the K3. I would use the GPS for astro but not willing to give up the flash when I can pick up one of the existing flash mount units. And pixel shift would be nice but I can already print nice 20 x 30 photos without it. So I'll save the $300 on the K3 and put it towards a sigma 150-500 a little later.
06-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #14

@starbase218 and @TedW: Same thoughts there. I like the flash option now and then. Also I hardly use a tripod - so pixel shift is of no use to me. With the firmware getting better I personally thing the differences of AF with firmware 1.21 are marginal, if there are any really. No upgrade for me unless the offer gets better.