Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 11:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I assume you have looked into this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html
I thought this would have been solved in the K3II ... send the camera back.
It looks as though this issue won't be solved until Pentax release a K-01.

06-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like the mirror flop issue. Perhaps the K-3 II doesn't shut itself off when it happens, unlike the K-3 (after firmware update)?
Given the OP reports flapping on half press this is not the same conditions as cause the K3 issues.

It is a lot closer to the k5 issue burn't out Voltage regulator and as such would indicate a broken camera.

All cameras Nikon, Pentax Canon etc will flap the mirror for certain conditions some of the obvious are

1 shutter/mirror sync
2 Mirror not seated

The k5 had two known failure casues
1 Regulator failure
2 mirror box worn

The k3 has 1 known and 1 'bug'
Known
Stiff mirror will cause flapping
unknown
appear to be a parameter issue in the Mirror logic

FW 1.11 is as we know a remediation for the unknown 'Bug' and will squalch the runaway flapping

I doubt Ricoh have altered the correct behavior with this firmware so a camera with 'sync' issues or overly tight bearings will flap irrelevant of firmware until the mirror/shutter are in the correct positions.

The OP needs to return the camera hopefully as a DOA but given '2 weeks' he may have to accept a repair (dependent on in country law)
06-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I hope there will be more feedback about this camera. I would like to have more data prior to buying one.
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope there will be more feedback about this camera. I would like to have more data prior to buying one.
Next weekend I have a photo/video shooting with the camera. I will return with conclusions regarding any issue or hoping without any problems.

06-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have used in the past 2 days the Pixel Shifting - High Resolution Mode. Now I have set to OFF this function but surprise... Shake Reduction check is set to OFF(normal due to using of Pixel Shifting) but is disabled and I cannot set it to ON. Another forum user post a week ago that he cannot set to OFF the Highlight Alert. I think the software is full of bugs

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 06-22-2015 at 12:15 PM.
06-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Shake Reduction check is set to OFF(normal due to using of Pixel Shifting) but is disabled and I cannot set it to ON.
Are you using 2s delay or any of the other modes where SR is not available?

Steve
06-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you using 2s delay or any of the other modes where SR is not available?
I was just about to say that I forgot to disable also the shutter delay. Now I'm felling stupid but happy because it's not an issue with the camera
Thank you Steve

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 06-22-2015 at 01:21 PM.
06-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
Now I'm felling stupid but happy because it's not an issue with the camera
It is not like you are the first person to have done that

Steve
07-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

@ OvidiuRoSb. Has the mirror flap occurred again? Ricoh has given an advice on the power off problem. I hope your experience of mirror flap won't be a big issue.
07-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@ OvidiuRoSb. Has the mirror flap occurred again? Ricoh has given an advice on the power off problem. I hope your experience of mirror flap won't be a big issue.
The mirror flap issue has never occurred since then . I have read the official announcement about power switch problem and my camera's serial number is on the list. I will contact the Ricoh importer and service from my country to ask them if they have a service plan for this.
01-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Count me in. I just had a mirror flap issue this morning. I was shooting continuously in single mode and after about 3 shots, the mirror ran on me as if I was shooting at 8 fps. I checked my settings and found that I was really on single shot mode. Like OvidiuRoSb the flapping stopped when I released the shutter button. Batteries are new and original. Camera has a battery grip with battery selection settings at body first, then grip. I hope it doesn't occur again. Anybody had the same issue?

Last edited by totsmuyco; 01-16-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Adding comments
01-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't used the K3II extensively yet, and am using with the K5's older batteries. I haven't had the issue, and did have the camera out in very cold (0F) weather this weekend. The only troubles I've had are all user error - mostly because my gloves are much too big for those little buttons. It is good to keep track of other people's problems, though, just to know what may happen.
01-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Count me in. I just had a mirror flap issue this morning. I was shooting continuously in single mode and after about 3 shots, the mirror ran on me as if I was shooting at 8 fps. I checked my settings and found that I was really on single shot mode. Like OvidiuRoSb the flapping stopped when I released the shutter button. Batteries are new and original. Camera has a battery grip with battery selection settings at body first, then grip. I hope it doesn't occur again. Anybody had the same issue?
From my experience using grips your much better off setting it to grip first then body. That way when the power goes down and you need to switch you'll have better success with a fully charged battery in body.

I have not had a problem with mine.

Terror I picked up a set of wool gloves with the lift away thumb and finger they work great. I got them through either Adorama or B&H.
01-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Terror I picked up a set of wool gloves with the lift away thumb and finger they work great. I got them through either Adorama or B&H.
Yeah, those look OK but at 0F and 15+mph winds most gloves are severely tested. The ones I use for this weather are snowboarding gloves, and just loose enough to wear some liners beneath, which I should have done. Then I can pull my hand out and still have the wool glove liner protecting a bit. Walking the dogs tends to compress the insulation, which is what's happening with these gloves. I think next winter I'll need a new set. Certainly if below 0F I absolutely need the liners, that's starting to really get cold. Not that you'd know it from the dogs, they were really frisky on walks this weekend. Huskies are nuts.
01-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The K3II just seems like a more reliable camera all around. There are a few reports here and there, but I have not detected any wide spread issues being reported. I had a pretty reliable original k5 that would randomly totally lock up. Maybe 3 times a year with pretty heavy use. I would have to take the battery out and reinsert and then all was fine. Almost like it was programmed by Microsoft!

I mention this, because if it were my camera that did that I would be keeping an eye on THAT particular body closely (as he is) because it's more than likely he may have something on that particular body going wrong as opposed to a well know wide spread issue effecting ALL cameras. And also because it's hard to just swap out his camera in his country, he may be better off that it's possibly actually something wrong as he will be more likely to get a repair, rather than Ricoh not having a clue how to deal with LOTS of cameras going bad all at once...

Bets of luck, keep us posted on what becomes of this!