Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 02:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-3 II issue

I have bought the last jewel from Ricoh-Pentax, Pentax K-3 II. After approx 30 shoots I experience something strange. I have pressed half the shutter button, made the focus, and then the shoot. But the camera acted strangely. The mirror flaps up and down like I had set the camera to burst shoot mode. The flapping stopped when I have released the shutter button. No photo was taken. I double check the settings and the camera was set to single shoot mode. This happened only once and after the event I have made another 10-20 shoots without another occurrence. I had read on internet and also on this forum, that this is an issue present in the previous camera, the K-3. I also explained the issue to Ricoh on Facebook and they responded that it will be taken in consideration for further investigations. Thank you.

06-16-2015, 03:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd take it up with who you bought it from.
06-16-2015, 03:32 AM   #3

don't think to much, take to place where you buy it or service center
06-16-2015, 03:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It sounds different to the K-3 fault which could only be stopped by dropping the batteries out apparently. If it keeps happening, take it back to where you bought it and have it checked out.

06-16-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will watch closely and see if this will happen again and in what circumstances. Thanks.
06-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Return it and have it replaced.if possible. Don't wait for the warranty to expire.
06-16-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Return it and have it replaced.if possible. Don't wait for the warranty to expire.
The camera is new, about 2 weeks. I have 2 years warranty from Pentax importer in Romania-Europe.
I will contact them if the issue repeats.

06-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There have been issues with Pentax and freezing (total camera stop) and the "crazy mirror sickness" issue. The freezing seems to be overcharged batteries, from what I read. It happened with my K5 early on, but once the batteries had several recharge cycles it stopped. That's something to watch.

I agree, though, make sure to use your warranty while you have one. You can never be sure if you have a "lemon" with any manufacturer.
06-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
I have bought the last jewel from Ricoh-Pentax, Pentax K-3 II. After approx 30 shoots I experience something strange. I have pressed half the shutter button, made the focus, and then the shoot. But the camera acted strangely. The mirror flaps up and down like I had set the camera to burst shoot mode. The flapping stopped when I have released the shutter button. No photo was taken. I double check the settings and the camera was set to single shoot mode. This happened only once and after the event I have made another 10-20 shoots without another occurrence. I had read on internet and also on this forum, that this is an issue present in the previous camera, the K-3. I also explained the issue to Ricoh on Facebook and they responded that it will be taken in consideration for further investigations. Thank you.
I assume you have looked into this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html
I thought this would have been solved in the K3II ... send the camera back.
06-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like the mirror flop issue. Perhaps the K-3 II doesn't shut itself off when it happens, unlike the K-3 (after firmware update)?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The mirror started flapping when I pressed the shutter button to take the photo, after the half press to focus. For 2-3 seconds I maintained the button pressed to observ the event. When I released the button, the flapping stoped. No photo was taken. The next shoots where without problems.
I will use the camera and if the issue repeats I will try to video recording the flapping and the settings, and send them to the shoop from where I have buyed it.

Another guy from Romania has a new K-3 II with 2000 shoots already, without any issues. Maybe my copy has a factory problem but I need to used it more to see if there is a real repetitive problem.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 06-16-2015 at 09:52 AM.
06-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd take it up with who you bought it from.
What he said. A reputable dealer will replace a defective camera from store stock within a reasonable period of time. Do not hesitate or spend much time on attempting to document. If it happens once that is reason enough. If it happens twice, that should be evidence enough.

Doing so has the additional value to the buying community in that dealer returns generally make their way back into the quality assurance loop and are more likely to result in a change to firmware and/or manufacturing then warranty work.

Steve
06-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have a K3ii also. I have shot over 700 photos with it so far using a variety of AF and MF lens. I have not had any mirror flop/flap issues, or any other issues what so ever. The camera is a delight to use and every single function works perfectly. I am very pleased with this purchase.
06-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Agreed. This issue sounds different from the much-discussed "mirror flop". I wouldn't mess with videos, etc. It just sounds defective. Take it back for a brand new replacement.
06-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you guys.
Maybe in the US it's easy to replace the camera, but in my country such thing it's a bit harder. If I cannot reproduce or they cannot reproduce the issue it's hard for me to get a new camera. Also if there is only a software problem and not a mechanical, hardware one, they will say that Ricoh will come with a software update.
I will use the same settings and see if will happen again. Thank you again.

Last edited by OvidiuRoSb; 06-17-2015 at 12:13 AM.