Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It becomes a habit that new Pentax camera models have issues within the first year of their release to market. Better wait and see what happens.
Nonsense! Almost all camera companies have issues from time to time with new cameras. Pentax no more than others. We really have very little evidence that there is anything systemically wrong with this camera. If there is it will be fixed.

06-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
^Exactly! Look at Nikon's D600. When it first came out it had major issues with oil/dust on it's sensor.
06-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
For the sake of completeness, two other threads describing the same issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/297854-new-pentax-k-3ii-wont-turn-off.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/296951-thankyou-ricoh-canada.html

Looks like the GPS bug is there too. Starting to sound more likely that it's a hardware thing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I strongly suspect a hardware issue as well. Seems to be an issue with the integrated GPS unit.

I cannot reproduce this problem on my K-3 II. Any other ideas?

—DragonLord

06-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I strongly suspect a hardware issue as well. Seems to be an issue with the integrated GPS unit.

I cannot reproduce this problem on my K-3 II. Any other ideas?

—DragonLord
Are all issues in North America and no power switch issues in Europe?

Looks like a single bad batch went there...
06-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Are all issues in North America and no power switch issues in Europe?

Looks like a single bad batch went there...
I am from Europe and my K-3 II has no problems with the power switch and GPS unit. Indeed only yesterday I have played with the GPS to see if my camera freezes like Adam's did.

The only thing which happened in my case is described in my topic, Pentax K-3 II issue. But in the weekend I have time to stress it more.
06-18-2015, 04:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1 mirror flap issue and 3 units that won't turn off. I hope it's just a batch. I wouldn't like to see another issue like the K-3.

06-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Perhaps it's worth waiting for the bug fixes before buying one.
Yes, the curse of early adopters. A few years ago I asked one of the company's VPs about a QA concern and his answer was that for many things we (the company) preferred to "let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets".

Steve
06-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Nonsense!
What he said...

FWIW, I can think of several Pentax models right off the top of my head that had few initial issues and a few more that have had remarkably few problems over all.

Steve
06-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like the GPS bug is there too. Starting to sound more likely that it's a hardware thing.
I agree.

Steve
06-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Are all issues in North America
No...the original GPS issue was in New Zealand with a camera purchased online from a Japanese vendor.

Steve
06-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even more visibly, on some Nikons like the D610 the top LCD displays either your available frame count, or current ISO, all the time. Power switch on or off.
I thought all the Nikon models are like that.... even though the switch is off, there is something displayed on the top LCD.
06-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've received confirmation from Ricoh in Japan that they are aware of the issue and that it is being investigated. They said that a fairly low number of cameras is affected.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They said that a fairly low number of cameras is affected.
Wow! That infers that the PF user base must be huge! Either that or PF is the worldwide clearinghouse for Pentax issue reports and user complaints.

Steve
06-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! That infers that the PF user base must be huge! Either that or PF is the worldwide clearinghouse for Pentax issue reports and user complaints.

Steve
I guess it's also based on their interpretation of "fairly low". But I do think that we have a considerable number of K-3 II owners here on the forum. Over 40 users have listed the K-3 II in their profiles, and if we assume that only a fraction of users bother to do this, then we're looking at hundreds of owners.

Adam