Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It actually sounds like a 'normal' production line fault has simply slipped through somewhere. I say this because the fault is appearing almost instantly upon first use, has the characteristics of a hardware fault (which could be anything down to a single dud box of switches) and would normally be uncovered in the post assembly inspection and testing. The fact that the fault occurs once the camera is switched off might explain how it slipped through. I'd imagine final acceptance testing focusses on faults during operation; test, observe, record, switch off and move on to the next one. Much more susceptible to human error on the part of the QA inspector as opposed to something going wrong during the test firing.

As I've alluded to earlier, I see it as more positive than negative. If the issue was a design flaw, I'd be disappointed and would probably have held off ordering one. I haven't upgraded my body in seven years, so deciding to order one wasn't taken lightly. Hopefully get mine today, and if it's a dud it'll be pack in the box for an exchange.

Last edited by jawsy; 06-18-2015 at 06:21 PM.
06-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I guess it's also based on their interpretation of "fairly low". But I do think that we have a considerable number of K-3 II owners here on the forum. Over 40 users have listed the K-3 II in their profiles, and if we assume that only a fraction of users bother to do this, then we're looking at hundreds of owners.
Sounds like a bad batch to me. Ricoh probably wouldn't have much trouble finding the issue and fixing it.

—DragonLord
06-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I'd imagine final acceptance testing focusses on faults during operation; test, observe, record, switch off and move on to the next one.
Probably right. Maybe they need to add another loop into that sequence of operations.
06-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

There's probably some poor bugger somewhere in the world copping a serve for this...

'How hard is it to work out if a camera turns off son, I mean how hard can it be?! Do you realize how many nerds are freaking out about this as we speak! Nerds all over the world making a pile of trouble for all of us. Well guess what son, trouble runs down hill and you're at the bottom! ....'

Ah yes, starting to bring back memories. Been on the receiving end of a few of those in years gone by and at the delivery end in more recent times!

Last edited by jawsy; 06-19-2015 at 12:20 AM.
06-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hope they'll say which units are affected through their serial numbers.
I also hope they'll pull out unsold units off the shelves to be fixed prior to selling.
06-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #51
Veteran Member

OK, I think ALL K-3IIs will be affected. I think the problem is related to the GPS, and I think if you push the GPS activation button, the camera won't turn off while it's searching for the satellites. It's probably a firmware glitch.

This is just a working theory right now, as I took the battery out of my K-3II and have not messed with it for 3 days and now it's working perfectly. BUT I have not pressed the GPS button like I did first thing when I turned it on.

More testing to follow.
06-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
When Adam is having problems...this is not good.
this is a simple solution,.,hehehr

06-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
OK, I think ALL K-3IIs will be affected. I think the problem is related to the GPS, and I think if you push the GPS activation button, the camera won't turn off while it's searching for the satellites. It's probably a firmware glitch.
My K-3 II it's working fine with the GPS activated. No problem with the GPS or the power switch off sequence, with/without GPS running and logging function On/Off.
06-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
My K-3 II it's working fine with the GPS activated. No problem with the GPS or the power switch off sequence, with/without GPS running and logging function On/Off.
The GPS on mine is working fine as well. I had similar problems with my first body, but the second body has been working fine. I'm beginning to really like the built in gps. I leave it turned on by default so all of my outdoor images contain gps coordinates. Looks great in Lightroom when I use the mapping function.
06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I think it's the INITIAL activation of the GPS, while it's searching for it's INITIAL location and that may take a while, particularly indoors.

My camera is working perfectly now, so it's probably not that big a deal. I'm still testing things of course and I have 30 days to send it back, so I'm not worried either way.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a camera that has corrected itself?
06-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I think it's the INITIAL activation of the GPS, while it's searching for it's INITIAL location and that may take a while, particularly indoors.

My camera is working perfectly now, so it's probably not that big a deal. I'm still testing things of course and I have 30 days to send it back, so I'm not worried either way.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a camera that has corrected itself?
There are two separate issues I believe, one related to the GPS, and one with the on/off switch.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

There are two separate issues I believe, one related to the GPS, and one with the on/off switch.

That is entirely possible.

As it stands now, my camera seems to be 100% All I did was remove the battery for 3 days. I can't seem to reproduce the problem either.
06-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #58

That is weird. I have no problems with mine. It's been raining heavy since I got mine Tuesday. So today has been the first time to get it outside to play with. But so far everything works fine. It powers of as it should. I did notice that the battery signal stays on for about a second after I switch off but that's it. I hadn't played with the GPS until just now after reading this post. I took the camera outside to the middle of my backyard, turned it on brought up the electronic compass to the back screen, went into the GPS menu and into calibration. Did what it said to calibrate, which was rotate the camera. After a rotating camera, it came up " GPS Calibrated" Everything worked fine.

GPS works, camera powers off. All good for me so far..
06-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
A second K-3 II magically showed up at my door today and this one presents no issues. The serial number only differs by 4! I've added both to the serial number database.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2015, 02:54 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A second K-3 II magically showed up at my door today and this one presents no issues. The serial number only differs by 4! I've added both to the serial number database.
Have you already tried it with the 150-450 to see if the AF is faster than with the K-3 ?