Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
What about the new Sony RX10 II? (
No doubt it's a great camera (I am also a long-time RX-100 user). But be aware that compared to the K-5II, even the latest 1-inch sensor is going to have limitations, particularly past ISO 800. As to the WR status of the camera, I dunno. While Sony does say of the RX-10 II: 'dust/moisture resistant design of all operating parts including dials and buttons', so does Nikon. It's worth handling the camera to see if the Sony really lives up to it's claims here, if WR is important to you.

BTW there are no rules that say you aren't allowed to shoot more than one camera brand.

06-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #92
Pentaxian

What about the new Sony RX10 II? (due in August) B&H is describing it as if its a Pentax with its durable magnesium alloy body & that it is weather resistant both water & dust.

I'll stop there, don't mean to hijack this thread. But I will leave it at this... I've been using Pentax since 1983, so its very sad for me to say the K5 IIs that I have now might be my last with Pentax.

I'd rather program a 1983 Video Cassette Recorder than attempt photography with anything made by Sony, but you go have fun with that...

---------- Post added 06-30-15 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No doubt it's a great camera (I am also a long-time RX-100 user). But be aware that compared to the K-5II, even the latest 1-inch sensor is going to have limitations, particularly past ISO 800. As to the WR status of the camera, I dunno. While Sony does say of the RX-10 II: 'dust/moisture resistant design of all operating parts including dials and buttons', so does Nikon. It's worth handling the camera to see if the Sony really lives up to it's claims here, if WR is important to you.

BTW there are no rules that say you aren't allowed to shoot more than one camera brand.

No this is true, but it does kinda give one a glimpse into what having two wives would be like...

(He says while eyeballing the Nikon D810 with 4 lenses on his left and the K-3 and K-5IIs with 7 lenses on his right and wondering who he is taking out today for some fun, or who should have the money spent on her this month.)
06-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #93

Well, if I won the lottery I would definitely have more cameras but til then I'm weighing my choices and having to pick carefully. :-(
06-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Well, if I won the lottery I would definitely have more cameras but til then I'm weighing my choices and having to pick carefully. :-(

The truth of the matter is that the K5IIs is just a hard camera to beat. Unless your really exceeding it's abilities and your 30x40 inch prints are not good enough, there is no need to upgrade to anything else.

And you can spend a lot of money for something that may be marginally better in some areas and much worse in others!

K5IIs vs K3: I do like the increase in processing speed my K3 shows over my K5II. The k3 metering is better and the K3 flash metering is the real deal. But unless you are shooting 40 weddings a year, it's not a big deal.

07-01-2015, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #95

Well, big thing I'm looking for is better AF, better crop, & the astro thingy. So, just pulled the trigger & hope to have one tomorrow. That knocking sound you hear is me outside banging my head against a tree.
07-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Well, big thing I'm looking for is better AF, better crop, & the astro thingy. So, just pulled the trigger & hope to have one tomorrow. That knocking sound you hear is me outside banging my head against a tree.

The jump in AF quality from the K5 to the K5II was HUGE. Made the K5 seem almost unusable. The wife and I shot a wedding and the K5 performed so badly I actually sold the thing off right after. The difference in K-5II to K3 AF is not as big. Both seem capable and usable to me. I am just now experimenting with the new K3 tracking abilities and am learning as I go, but for everything else, landscapes weddings low light the Af in both the K5II and K3 have been satisfying.

The real feature that intrigues me about the K3II is the high res mode. It might just be a KILLER for landscapes. Better resolution than a Nikon D810 with the K3II size and weight and LTD lenses. YES! Astro tracer might be really cool as well, we'll see.

PS: I sent back the D810, the IQ increase was really small compared to the K3 believe it or not. My Nikon lenses will just have to make do with film and my old F100...unless I can sell them off.

Just got my replacement K3II about an hour ago. All seems 100% so far!!! Good luck, and great choice!
07-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #97
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Add another to the list.

Intrigued by pixel shift and the recent Adorama price drop, I went for the K3 II as a second body to carry for landscape shots on vacation this summer (original K3 will remain with the telephoto). Inserted a charged battery, input time & date and formatted cards only to realize it wouldn't turn off. Having read this thread, I hit the GPS button and sure enough, the camera froze.

It may just be me, but the back wheel also has a much cheaper tactile feel (when rotating) than my K3.

Now for the joy of repackaging, returning, waiting and hoping the next one works properly.
07-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #98
Site Supporter

There's an official Ricoh service notice for this now:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/40-homepage-official-pentax-news/299277-p...ff-notice.html

07-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote

And I have SN 62016**

Guess what's being sent back to Amazon tomorrow... I'll just wait a few months until they sort it all out. Or just wait to see what the FF is all about.

My curiosity is satisfied anyhow, the pixel shift really doesn't work with a 10x ND filter or moving water or both. And truth be told I don't like leaving the house without a flash even if it's a tiny one on the camera.
07-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #100

Bad serial number

I checked today and I have a serial number (6193387) that is considered to be in the defective lot. It seems slower to power up/down than my K-5, but I haven't had it not power down. I haven't used it much and it's only been with the basic functions - no GPS and so forth. Is there a way I can test this camera? Are there certain settings, functions that cause it not to turn off? Now I'm panicking.
07-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I checked today and I have a serial number (6193387) that is considered to be in the defective lot. It seems slower to power up/down than my K-5, but I haven't had it not power down. I haven't used it much and it's only been with the basic functions - no GPS and so forth. Is there a way I can test this camera? Are there certain settings, functions that cause it not to turn off? Now I'm panicking.
I don't think there's any need to panic. If it happens, just pop the battery out and back in, and the camera should return to normal.
07-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #102

Who wants to take the battery in and out just so that the camera can shut off. As mentioned above I haven't used the camera much yet. Is the shut off problem related to any settings or functions besides just the defaults? Is there something to do that may test my camera? I'm within the return/exchange period for about another week or so. Even if I haven't had problems yet I have a serial number that was listed in the defective lot. What is your advice? Wait to see if problem occurs, or exchange because of being in the "bad lot" of serial numbers?
I waited to get a K-5 until the sensor issue was resolved, but jumped on the K-3II. I guess I should have waited a bit. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
07-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #103
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
Who wants to take the battery in and out just so that the camera can shut off. As mentioned above I haven't used the camera much yet. Is the shut off problem related to any settings or functions besides just the defaults? Is there something to do that may test my camera? I'm within the return/exchange period for about another week or so. Even if I haven't had problems yet I have a serial number that was listed in the defective lot. What is your advice? Wait to see if problem occurs, or exchange because of being in the "bad lot" of serial numbers?
I waited to get a K-5 until the sensor issue was resolved, but jumped on the K-3II. I guess I should have waited a bit. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
I would just get the camera serviced. If you exchange it, you might get another bad unit, but that's another possibility.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #104

Photos: Albums
I got my K-3II from Amazon as a prime member. I can easily return it. The question is, should I get a new K-3II with a higher serial number or should I just get the K-3 instead. I don't really care about the pixel shift feature but I'm curios to know if there is a big difference in the SR or maybe the AF. Any idea? Thanks
07-11-2015, 03:29 AM   #105
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
I got my K-3II from Amazon as a prime member. I can easily return it. The question is, should I get a new K-3II with a higher serial number or should I just get the K-3 instead. I don't really care about the pixel shift feature but I'm curios to know if there is a big difference in the SR or maybe the AF. Any idea? Thanks
Get a K-3 then. I think the practical difference of both features is marginal; the more powerful SR system was most likely developed with the Pentax FF in mind.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: