Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #121

Photos: Albums
I received my replacement from Amazon today and the serial number starts with 6207 so it looks like what Amazon got is new stock.

07-20-2015, 05:33 AM   #122
Forum Member

FWIW, I contacted the UK Ricoh centre (Johnsons Photopia) and they were super helpful and very efficient. She said they'd handled two repairs of this kind so far, but were treating them as priority as they came in. So if you're in the UK, I'd reach out to the repair centre and get it organised; it can't hurt.

I haven't had the issue, but I'm away on holiday in a week - I'm hoping mine will last the holiday without the fault and then I'll get it checked when I get back!
07-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #123

Spoke to SRS Microsystems an hour ago. They said Pentax UK released info to them this morning. My first K3 II
was faulty out of the box and was told my current copy (which is working and is in the serial number range as a possible problem) to not to worry about as it's working. I need take no action. Besides they said I have a 2 year warranty.
07-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #124

Okay! It looks like Pentax don't really know what serial numbers are affected and they just assumed the problem is only caused to a specific group of serial numbers. I've replaced my - #6206... with a new #6207... , and now I got the issue twice so far.

07-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
Okay! It looks like Pentax don't really know what serial numbers are affected and they just assumed the problem is only caused to a specific group of serial numbers. I've replaced my - #6206... with a new #6207... , and now I got the issue twice so far.

It might be worth going with a K-3 instead of the "II." Do you really need the GPS? The K-3 is cheaper and a GREAT camera.
07-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #126

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
It might be worth going with a K-3 instead of the "II." Do you really need the GPS? The K-3 is cheaper and a GREAT camera.
No, I don't need GPS and the only reason I went with K3II was the SR improvements. I don't use tripods and the SR is important to me. A member here also suggested that I go with the K50 instead since it has less megapixels and the SR will work better for that. What do you think? Thank you.
07-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #127
Veteran Member

No, I don't need GPS and the only reason I went with K3II was the SR improvements. I don't use tripods and the SR is important to me. A member here also suggested that I go with the K50 instead since it has less megapixels and the SR will work better for that. What do you think? Thank you.

Maybe give a tripod a chance...???

Seriously, the SR difference between the two is probably a marginal improvement. the SR on the K-3 is pretty good to begin with and probably good enough I would think. You should try it and if it doesn't work out, send it back to AMAZON. (Pentax shouldn't have screwed up the K3II, or they could have avoided all the churn. That's my opinion.)

07-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Pentax shouldn't have screwed up the K3II, or they could have avoided all the churn. That's my opinion.
I don't think they screwed up the product per se, just the quality control.

They really shot themselves in the foot with all the problems that have become visible after launch, and which - it would seem - could have been easily detected and remedied before stock hit the stores.

I look at the issues they had with v1.20 of the K-3 firmware [rear LCD display not shutting off properly], then these K-3 II issues, and despair a little about whether anyone in Ricoh is paying any attention to QC.

Both of these issues were VERY easy to see and detect - not at all mysterious and obscure.
07-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rawr is right - the problem seems to be weak QC. The really amazing thing is how rock solid reliable, despite heavy abuse, my Pentax cameras have been. The product engineering has remained very strong.The MX is still working smoothly, K-7, 3 x K5s, K5IIs, K3, K-01, Q and Q7 have all performed without hitch despite being dragged all over the southwest deserts even in the midst of summer. For that matter my 2 so far (3rd arrives today) K-3iis have worked beautifully and up to specs. I only returned the first out of caution over the serial number, #2 turned out to not be a new camera so Amazon is taking it back. If the one which arrives today is as functional as the first two, even if is a suspect serial number, I think I will just keep it, get an extended warranty, and forget about sending it back again.
07-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Rawr is right - the problem seems to be weak QC. The really amazing thing is how rock solid reliable, despite heavy abuse, my Pentax cameras have been. The product engineering has remained very strong.The MX is still working smoothly, K-7, 3 x K5s, K5IIs, K3, K-01, Q and Q7 have all performed without hitch despite being dragged all over the southwest deserts even in the midst of summer. For that matter my 2 so far (3rd arrives today) K-3iis have worked beautifully and up to specs. I only returned the first out of caution over the serial number, #2 turned out to not be a new camera so Amazon is taking it back. If the one which arrives today is as functional as the first two, even if is a suspect serial number, I think I will just keep it, get an extended warranty, and forget about sending it back again.
I got my 4th K-3IIbody with a higher serial number which shouldn't have a problem and the problem just happened now. What is so reliable about that? This can't be just me having bad luck with 4 cameras in a row. I doubt you guys are turning on the GPS. I wanted to like this camera and I gave it more chances than it deserves. I'm done with the K3-II.

Last edited by farhaddad; 07-24-2015 at 07:56 AM.
07-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my 4th K-3IIbody with a higher serial number which shouldn't have a problem and the problem just happened now. What is so reliable about that? This can't be just me having bad luck with 4 cameras in a raw. I doubt you guys are turning on the GPS. I wanted to like this camera and I gave it more chances than it deserves. I'm done with the K3-II.
I am sorry to hear about your problem. I know it is infuriating. But your assumption is wrong. I always test gps and have used it extensively. I put in a freshly charged battery, turn the camera on and off several time. I then go outside under a clear sky and turn on the GPS and when I have bars I calibrate it. No glitches at all so far with almost 1500 K-3ii photos taken with the two cameras GPS on for almost half of them. I am not denying that way too many K-3iis have the problem which has affected your cameras. However, my decades of experience with Pentax cameras and hundreds of thousands of K mount photos are what I base my claims of reliability on. Also the experience of most people who have used the cameras extensively before this K-3ii mess. Many early K-3iis have a problem, no question. It can be fixed. Once it is fixed, the camera will probably prove to be as reliable as all the other Pentax cameras I have owned. By the way, reliable does not mean 100% problem free. It just means that it is a device you can normally rely on and probably have no problems. Again, I am sorry about your experience with the K-3ii. Apparently the supply will be replenished with cameras without this problem within the next few weeks (B&H and Australian dealers reports).
07-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #132

Don't worry. I'm just frustrated! I really wanted this camera because I liked everything about it and now I'm returning it for good. I don't know if I should get another Pentax model or go with another brand. If the camera hangs out while I'm trying to take a photo, then it isn't reliable for me. I'm glad you're having a better luck with the K-3II but I doubt that Ricoh / Pentax know what causes the problem. They announced a specific serial range claiming that only cameras within it would have the problem. I got two cameras with higher serial numbers and both had the problem as well. I didn't have any doubts that the problem will be solved. I even bought limited lenses thinking that I'm going to get a good copy eventually. Now I am not sure I made the right decision. I am thinking about selling the lenses here and move on. I don't know what brand I am going to get but that really doesn't matter as long as it is reliable and the K3II isn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am sorry to hear about your problem. I know it is infuriating. But your assumption is wrong. I always test gps and have used it extensively. I put in a freshly charged battery, turn the camera on and off several time. I then go outside under a clear sky and turn on the GPS and when I have bars I calibrate it. No glitches at all so far with almost 1500 K-3ii photos taken with the two cameras GPS on for almost half of them. I am not denying that way too many K-3iis have the problem which has affected your cameras. However, my decades of experience with Pentax cameras and hundreds of thousands of K mount photos are what I base my claims of reliability on. Also the experience of most people who have used the cameras extensively before this K-3ii mess. Many early K-3iis have a problem, no question. It can be fixed. Once it is fixed, the camera will probably prove to be as reliable as all the other Pentax cameras I have owned. By the way, reliable does not mean 100% problem free. It just means that it is a device you can normally rely on and probably have no problems. Again, I am sorry about your experience with the K-3ii. Apparently the supply will be replenished with cameras without this problem within the next few weeks (B&H and Australian dealers reports).
07-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a K-3. It is cheaper and almost the same camera. Just add the O-GPS-1 for GPS. It is among the most respected, tough (a major part of my definition of reliable) APS-C cameras available.
07-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #134

Another bad serial number

I just received my second K-3II from B&H. The serial number is below the specified "safe" number. I haven't even taken it out of the box. I'm debating whether to try it or just return it unopened.
07-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I just received my second K-3II from B&H. The serial number is below the specified "safe" number. I haven't even taken it out of the box. I'm debating whether to try it or just return it unopened.
My second body is below the specified serial number too and appears to be working fine. My first out of the box was faulty. I have a 2 year warranty so if it did go wrong then I will simply get Pentax to fix it. I love the camera.