Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 II refusing to shut down?

I think someone mentioned this in another thread, but I can't seem to locate it...

My new K-3 II refuses to turn itself off via the on/off switch. When set to off, the top LCD goes blank but all other buttons continue to function. I can access the menus, open live view, and even capture images. The only way to kill the camera is to either wait for the auto-off timer to kick in, or pull the battery. Once the camera is finally off, only the on/off switch can bring it back to life, so there's certainly nothing wrong with the hardware. Hope this is just a settings-related bug rather than a larger firmware issue with the K-3 II. My GPS function is disabled.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you set the auto-timer to zero? If not, set it for the shortest time available. Sounds like a firmware bug.

Jack
06-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the few K-3II owners that pops up, it seems that the K-3II has huge quality issues. Perhaps it's worth waiting for the bug fixes before buying one.
06-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Is the camera perhaps waiting for a process to close or stop before it shuts down - like a disk write? Anything happening with the SD card light?

06-16-2015, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
From the few K-3II owners that pops up, it seems that the K-3II has huge quality issues. Perhaps it's worth waiting for the bug fixes before buying one.
Four to be precise, from all four corners of the globe too. GPS locked camera up, highlight alert won't turn off (and got worse), camera won't turn off and shutter activation behaves like a burst shot in single shot mode. Four individual issues, none appear to be inter-related and all on a forum notorious for being a bit jumpy with product faults. It looks like a typical spread of product issues to me; nothing to worry about.

... and yes, after watching PF closely since the release date I have put my money where my mouth is and ordered one a couple of hours ago.
06-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is the camera perhaps waiting for a process to close or stop before it shuts down - like a disk write? Anything happening with the SD card light?
Nope. This happened right after I pulled it out of the box and has persisted since. I've now taken several photos and customized my settings with no improvement...it's funny how even when you try to turn the camera off, live view stays on.

Also, the camera crashes when you go in to the GPS log menu with the GPS off. Personally I think it's unacceptable to launch a camera with such minor upgrades yet significant firmware bugs. IMHO it's already hard to excuse what they did with the flash. The flash housing and hinges are literally still there, it's just been bolted shut. They should just have modified the camera body ever so slightly to make room for the antenna, rather than placing it where the flash bulb used to be...

On a positive note: the super resolution delivers very good results! It works by quadrupling the exposure time but it keeps the shutter open for the whole duration, which is much better than opening and closing the shutter 4 times.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When Adam is having problems...this is not good.

06-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It will be interesting to see how many more people report this problem. Hopefully a firmware fix is released soon, if needed...

Adam

06-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I will get my k3-II today but firmware errors do not worry me.

I am sure the gps crash and other bugs will be fixed and the fact that the first firmware has some errors (even if the camera is very similar on the outside to the k3) do not surprise me.

The hardware has to be shipped as soon as possible (with a firmware version the engineers would rather not ship) by ANY brand so if no major hardware issues arise (Nikon stained sensor, Pentax string of pearls, etc) I'll be happy.
06-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I agree with you only because the camera ends up turning itself off after 1 minute, every time

Adam

06-17-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It will be interesting to see how many more people report this problem. Hopefully a firmware fix is released soon, if needed...
... or you happen to be one of the worst possible people Ricoh could have wished a production line lemon onto. Forget you're a guru for a second and do what we all tell the newbies - send it back!
06-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had no problem with the K-3 II yet and I took more than 2.000 shots in various conditions. Sorry to hear already different problems with this camera. Let's hope there will be a firmware update soon and all this annoying bugs will be fixed.
06-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I agree with you only because the camera ends up turning itself off after 1 minute, every time
I would be (a little) worried if the lcd did not turn off, but it does so the firmware IS signalled.

My old k-x is also really never asleep. The card led lits up when a memory card is inserted with the power switch off.
06-17-2015, 01:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I would be (a little) worried if the lcd did not turn off, but it does so the firmware IS signalled.

My old k-x is also really never asleep. The card led lits up when a memory card is inserted with the power switch off.
I had a Nikon D5100, Pentax K-5 IIs and now the K-3 II. In all of them the battery-card led lights up when you insert the battery or the card. It's a nice feature to show you that you inserted correctly the battery or the card. In the case of Nikon I'm pretty sure that the led lights up also when you have inserted the battery. All of this with the power switch set to off.
06-17-2015, 01:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
In the case of Nikon I'm pretty sure that the led lights up also when you have inserted the battery. All of this with the power switch set to off.
Even more visibly, on some Nikons like the D610 the top LCD displays either your available frame count, or current ISO, all the time. Power switch on or off.