Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #106

I did buy a K3 II from B&H. Had it for a week (almost 2k snaps). Now this bulletin. Mine works fine (haven't tried it with GPS though). Really don't want to not have my camera for a month. But I don't think its fair to just return it either, not to B&H anyways. But it might be my only option of having a camera. Any thoughts?

07-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #107

I'm waiting to hear from SRS Microsystems in Watford. My first camera was faulty not turning off, but my replacement works fine including GPS. My second copy is in the serial range that could be suspect. I'm not sure what to think as it's working like a dream and don't like the idea also if it has to go away for a month to be checked.
07-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenadonis Quote
I'm waiting to hear from SRS Microsystems in Watford. My first camera was faulty not turning off, but my replacement works fine including GPS. My second copy is in the serial range that could be suspect. I'm not sure what to think as it's working like a dream and don't like the idea also if it has to go away for a month to be checked.
I noticed that all of their K3II bodies or kit systems are now awaiting stock,they were all available as of yesterday morning.
07-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sticking with my K-3. I had the mirror flap issue fixed; no problems at all now. I enjoy having a built-in flash (used it at a birthday party last week), and I have the auxiliary GPS unit for it. I'm happy with the sharpness of my static product shots. As Adam says, the effect can be duplicated by taking multiple shots and combining them (doesn't the HDR function do this in the camera?).

I have to say I feel vindicated in my decision not to buy a K-3II. The risk/reward ratio is not worth it to me.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

07-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #110

I think I'll call Ricoh on Monday to see what they recommend since my serial number is on the recall list. As I said, my camera is a little slow to turn on/off but hasn't not turned off. I will also contact B&H which is where I purchased my K-3II.
07-11-2015, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I think I'll call Ricoh on Monday to see what they recommend since my serial number is on the recall list. As I said, my camera is a little slow to turn on/off but hasn't not turned off. I will also contact B&H which is where I purchased my K-3II.
I'm going to sit it out for a while and wait for the surge of returns to be dealt with. Mine's not playing up and I figure that even if it starts, it's manageable. No hurry.
07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anybody had a K-3ii which worked perfectly for 500-1000 shots and then had problems? I do not recall seeing reports of problems not starting very early in use. I agree that it may be best to just hold on to a functioning camera for awhile and have it checked after the fuss dies down unless it starts acting up sooner. I wish we had a better idea of what is causing the problem.

07-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #113
Veteran Member

There was at least one that posted where the issue started after 2,000 shots, but most seemed to be fairly quick to occur. A couple were straight out of the box.
07-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
There was at least one that posted where the issue started after 2,000 shots, but most seemed to be fairly quick to occur. A couple were straight out of the box.

The first one I had, had the problem right out of the box, and then cleared itself by sitting without a battery in it for 2 days and was working perfectly when I sent it back. The 2nd one was 100% from day 1, but I sent that back too because of the notice from Ricoh that particular SNs could be affected and I was still in the Amazon return window.

My take is I paid $935.00 - 100% functioning dollars, I want a 100% functioning camera sent to me that isn't subject to me having to pay to send it back in to be inspected because somebody screwed it up.
07-12-2015, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

Have about 2000 shots on mine & no trouble yet serial 61890xx ,but hardy turn it off,just let it power down
07-12-2015, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #116

I haven't had the problem. But my camera is in the problem serial range. I also haven't had the chance to use it that much. I think that now Ricoh/Pentax know what serial numbered cameras are affected, they should recall all in that range and replace them for a new camera with one outside the affected serial range. Wether the camera has had the problem or not. Who's to say one in the affected serial range, that has not had a problem wont work fine for "x" amount of shots/time and then get the problem. Asking customers who have one in the affected range to return it to a service centre to be check,, isn't really good enough. For me that means paying for the postage back to the Australian distributor, on top of what I've paid for the camera. To be more than likely told there is nothing wrong, at this time.

Ricoh should just replace all in the affected range, no mater what. And cover postage costs to return affected cameras to the distributor/seller.
07-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Have about 2000 shots on mine & no trouble yet serial 61890xx ,but hardy turn it off,just let it power down
I'm like you, I have had no trouble with my second camera with the same serial number range as you, 61890**. I'm not sure what to think. We just might be a lucky few but the thought that something may go wrong will be staying at the back of my mind. I do have a two year warranty with the shop I bought it from so I may just hang fire and if it goes wrong in two years I'll send it back to them. My thoughts are if it doesn't go wrong in the two years after several thousand shots are taken and possibly 2 or 3 firmware updates then it is unlikely to go wrong with the not turning off issue.
07-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
I haven't had the problem. But my camera is in the problem serial range. I also haven't had the chance to use it that much. I think that now Ricoh/Pentax know what serial numbered cameras are affected, they should recall all in that range and replace them for a new camera with one outside the affected serial range. Wether the camera has had the problem or not. Who's to say one in the affected serial range, that has not had a problem wont work fine for "x" amount of shots/time and then get the problem. Asking customers who have one in the affected range to return it to a service centre to be check,, isn't really good enough. For me that means paying for the postage back to the Australian distributor, on top of what I've paid for the camera. To be more than likely told there is nothing wrong, at this time.

Ricoh should just replace all in the affected range, no mater what. And cover postage costs to return affected cameras to the distributor/seller.

I agree, you drop the ball, you have to be responsible. Maybe if your the superbowl champions you can get away with some stuff, but when your playing in the minor leagues you need to really up your game to be better than the best if you want to keep playing.

For a minor upgrade to cause such BS and worry in people who are already probably second guessing if they should have bought a Nikon or a Canon is a very poor showing.
07-13-2015, 12:58 AM   #119
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
What they should do is improve their service network outside of Japan. It's good that this service bulletin was posted so quickly, but if the turnaround is scaring people away then there's obviously an issue. I otherwise would recommend for everyone with an affected camera to send it in to avoid problems later on.

With that said the warranty states that defects will be corrected, not that you'll receive a replacement body with shipping on the company. If that were the case, our beloved camera maker would go bust!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #120

Is there any news as to how the K3 II recall is going?