Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenadonis Quote
My second body is below the specified serial number too and appears to be working fine. My first out of the box was faulty. I have a 2 year warranty so if it did go wrong then I will simply get Pentax to fix it. I love the camera.
This is probably the right approach for most of us with working cameras. I love my original K-3 and the K-3ii adds some nice additions.

07-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #137

Photos: Albums
Thanks. My friend has a K-3 and while many don't see a difference between both, I found that the K-3II has a better AF system. The SR on the K-3II was better for me. $720 vs $920. I hate to say it but I may give the K-3II another chance. I tried both Amazon and B&H. I don't know if I should wait a bit or order now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Get a K-3. It is cheaper and almost the same camera. Just add the O-GPS-1 for GPS. It is among the most respected, tough (a major part of my definition of reliable) APS-C cameras available.
My first one that I've returned didn't have a problem! Maybe I should have kept it instead. However, not all of us have 2 years of warranty.

My second body is below the specified serial number too and appears to be working fine. My first out of the box was faulty. I have a 2 year warranty so if it did go wrong then I will simply get Pentax to fix it. I love the camera.
07-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well B&H (Henry on PF) has said that they will not ship another one until they get in the new, supposedly ok, cameras. That may be a week or two but that would be the safe way get your K3ii and avoid this problem.
07-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #139

Thank you. I'll just wait then

07-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just checked the B&H site. They list as a new camera which they will ship when it arrives. So it appears that the policy Henryp referred to is now in place. You can order now and they will ship when it arrives.
07-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I just checked the B&H site. They list as a new camera which they will ship when it arrives. So it appears that the policy Henryp referred to is now in place. You can order now and they will ship when it arrives.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
08-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #142
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A short (personal) report on this situation in The Netherlands

Yesterday I visited my local camerastore in Utrecht. One of the few (non webstore) "traditional" shops remaining in the city centre. They are Premium Pentax Dealer and have a full display with all current Pentax DSLR, WG series and XG bridge camera that you can hold and try. That's good!

Having made the decision to upgrade from my K-5 to K3II I was playing around with the K3II they had on display, and sure enough the camera would not power off. I talked to the shop manager who was helpfull but he didn't know about the problem and told me he wasn't informed by Ricoh. We tried another copy he had in the store and that unit also immediately had the problem. Both units in the 619.... series.

A littlle anxious I asked the shop manager to order me a K3II and I specified to him that it had to be one of the newer units. To be continued.

On the dutch (Benelux) ricoh imaging website there is the service statement ( in English) but the message is not 100% clear as some sentences are missing and/or incomplete. Strange.

08-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #143
Pentaxian

According to CIPA, the K-3II has a higher battery life rating than the K-3, power management likely been redesigned on the K-3II; So it might be that the K-3II has a design weakness that the K-3 does not have.
QuoteOriginally posted by brink Quote
A littlle anxious I asked the shop manager to order me a K3II
You can order a K-3 instead of a K-3II.
08-02-2015, 02:20 AM   #144
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
According to CIPA, the K-3II has a higher battery life rating than the K-3, power management likely been redesigned on the K-3II; So it might be that the K-3II has a design weakness that the K-3 does not have. You can order a K-3 instead of a K-3II.
Interesting how this develops. I wonder if any further insight is given by Ricoh.

The K3II has my particular interest because of the GPS and I rarely use the on board flash. So no reason for me to go for the K3, unless the K3II proves to be a totally messed up trial run for the upcoming FF (which I don't think it will, I have faith in Pentax that's why I ordered). However, there are lessons to be learned here. Ricoh development (and it's QC people in the factory in the Philippines) better pay serious attention; if the introduction of FF gets messed up like this.....it will seriously hurt Pentax and -worst case scenario- could give Ricoh some sort of justification to end this line of product.

But that's a different discussion..

Last edited by brink; 08-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
08-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #145
Pentaxian

If there is (hopefully there isn't though), hopefully it's not as bad as Nikon's issues with their D600/610 & D750 camera's
08-03-2015, 02:22 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Where I live, I hope there are no defects on Pentax cameras. We have difficulty in accessing after sales services. That's why I still reading all feedback before buying.
08-09-2015, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #147
mee
Veteran Member

Are you kidding me? Ricoh should be charging MORE for these cameras by labeling them the 'Hotel California edition.'

After all you can check out, but you can never leaveeee..

08-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #148

Had my second working camera since Jume 27th and I can report that it is working perfectly. It is in the range of serial numbers that are suspect. It is a beautiful camera. Love all about it.
08-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Had my second working camera since Jume 27th and I can report that it is working perfectly. It is in the range of serial numbers that are suspect. It is a beautiful camera. Love all about it.
Glad to hear you have a perfectly functioning one. I just ordered mine and will arrive this September. They said that they've done the recall in Japan and the seller said that serial number of units available are above the stated safe serial number. Now I just read that there was another forumer with a mirror flap incident. I hope the 3 reported cases are isolated cases. I hope mine has no defects. It's really difficult to send a camera back to Japan.

Pentax should look into their QC. They should test and retest prototypes prior to putting them into production.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 08-21-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Added some comments