Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New Pentax K-3II won't turn off...

7 shots into my new K-3II and turn the power switch off and the camera stays on. Won't fire the shutter, but lights and autofocus still work. Guess this ones a dud and going back.

06-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
send it back.
06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For some users, there is nothing weird about having issues with newly released camera models. See thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/297794-k-3-ii-refusing-shut-down-3.html
06-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
7 shots into my new K-3II and turn the power switch off and the camera stays on. Won't fire the shutter, but lights and autofocus still work. Guess this ones a dud and going back.
Well that's 2 (or 3) confirmed cases, myself included. Get the camera replaced. The only way to turn it off is to wait for the auto-off timer to kick in, or pull the battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, and after reading your thread on it, the GPS seemed to lock the camera up as well. For what that's worth. I'm too tired to mess around with it tonight. I already have it packaged up to be sent back to Amazon. I will order a replacement in a couple of months. I have a K-5IIs and a K-3 (among other cameras) so it wasn't really a necessity kind of thing.
06-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

My K3ii will not turn off.

I had the same problem. Phoned C. R. Kennedy who asked me to return it for replacement. When I dropped in, they immediately provided a replacement from their warehouse but that had the same problem. A second replacement from a different batch proved fine. Great service from the Australian agents for Ricoh/Pentax.
06-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rindoon Quote
I had the same problem. Phoned C. R. Kennedy who asked me to return it for replacement. When I dropped in, they immediately provided a replacement from their warehouse but that had the same problem. A second replacement from a different batch proved fine. Great service from the Australian agents for Ricoh/Pentax.
That's not just good service but great service. They must have an idea about the problem and it must be a hardware problem.

I wish we would have the same service here. After all, Pentax cameras are made here in my country. Too bad our service provider sucks.
06-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Good to know CRK is helpful in that regards. Which branch of CRK did you deal with?

06-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A second replacement from a different batch
So it seems that firmware may not be to blame.
06-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Good to know CRK is helpful in that regards. Which branch of CRK did you deal with?
Melbourne.
07-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Uuugh...
Add me to the list Got it brand new from B&H. Sheesh.
07-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any way to see if the cameras with problems come from a different run than those which work fine? The PF shutter counter gives date of manufacture info. Would there be any point in comparing those? Mine has no problems and has a manufacture date of 4-30-2015. It is my understanding that serial numbers are not sequential. If true that would not be a basis for comparison.
07-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Same issue

I have the same issue, would not turn off from initial startup.

Neil
07-03-2015, 02:31 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Pentax seems to have major issues with quality control, these cameras should not be released with such a bad error.

The trouble is that they don't seem to polish a current model as such, but try to enter new features, that should in fact be a whole new camera. Take the K-3 instead of K-3II with new features, it should polish the current one with improved AF and get rid of the mirror flutter, iron out the bugs so to speak via firmware, this is what will make great camera.
I hope Pentax don't feel pressured by those that always need the latest greatest newest features.

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-03-2015 at 02:37 AM.
07-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
these cameras should not be released with such a bad error.
Particularly one that, on the face of it, should be easy to test for on the assembly line.

But there have been some puzzling QC lapses recently - like the K-3 v1.20 bug that left the rear - LCD backlight on all the time, which was an error literally staring the camera user in the face. Not to mention the recent failures a few users have reported with the new 150-450.

Time for Ricoh to hand back it's Deming Prize, I think.