Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #1

What means 'tethering' exactly?

I connect my K-3 with microHDMI->DVI-D cable to the Dell U2410f 1920x1200 monitor.
Then I see on the Dell monitor screen what I usually see on the K-3 back-screen.
I can aim and focus with a Live Mode, I can aim and focus with Video mode, I can shoot photos, I can browse photos stored on K-3 memory cards, etc.
Q 1: That's not a tethering, I guess?
Q 2: How do you suggest as the the most suitable resolution and mode (1:1, fill, 16:9, 4:3) of the external monitor to be set for connecting K-3 with HDMI cable?

06-19-2015, 03:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tethering refers to being able to remotely control the camera and transfer/view files in real time. Viewing the LCD feed on another monitor isn't the same thing.

I would just leave the aspect alone. The native output should be 3:2.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a video showing what tethering can do for cameras that support it.
Tethered Capture with Lightroom 5 | The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV
06-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Here's a video showing what tethering can do for cameras that support it.
Tethered Capture with Lightroom 5 | The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV
Except that is not really tethering. The Lightroom implementation allows four things:
  • Manages a live connection (usually wired) between camera and computer
  • View (not change) a subset of the current camera settings
  • Do shutter release from the computer keyboard
  • Automated file download to the computer with integrated import into Lightroom
A full on tethered solution, OTOH will:
  • Manage a live connection (usually wired) to between camera and computer
  • Allow you to view most, if not all camera settings
  • Allow full access to do most, if not all, camera settings and operations from the computer keyboard/mouse (shutter release included)
  • Support live view via the computer monitor
  • Automate file download to a storage device, often enough to a "watched" directory (folder) associated with a program such as Lightroom*
  • May also provide automated PP and publication to the Web
Probably the most common and well-known examples of tethering are school portraits, pictures with Santa, or other situations where the camera is on tripod and the emphasis is on moving people through a portrait set. We have all seen it done.

The closest you will get to true tethering in the Pentax world would be a 645Z being run by Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software via USB. The next closest you could get would be a K-S2 on wireless tether using the Image Sync app and more distant would be the K-3 on the Flu-card.

Steve

* Lightroom offers tethering for a selection of Nikon, Canon, and Leica cameras only. Due the limitations of the feature, Martin Evening in "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book" (Adobe Press) suggests the option of foregoing the tether feature in favor of using the camera maker's tether solution in conjunction with a "watched" directory (auto-import). Lightroom will "watch" the directory and do auto-import including initial PP on any image files that are saved there. For more information on how this works, see:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/peachpit/peachpit/lightroom...thered_EOS.pdf

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2015 at 06:52 PM.
06-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

True, Steve, but I'd be delighted just to get what I posted.
06-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except that is not really tethering. The Lightroom implementation allows four things:
  • Manages a live connection (usually wired) between camera and computer
  • View (not change) a subset of the current camera settings
  • Do shutter release from the computer keyboard
  • Automated file download to the computer with integrated import into Lightroom
A full on tethered solution, OTOH will:
  • Manage a live connection (usually wired) to between camera and computer
  • Allow you to view most, if not all camera settings
  • Allow full access to do most, if not all, camera settings and operations from the computer keyboard/mouse (shutter release included)
  • Support live view via the computer monitor
  • Automate file download to a storage device, often enough to a "watched" directory (folder) associated with a program such as Lightroom*
  • May also provide automated PP and publication to the Web
Probably the most common and well-known examples of tethering are school portraits, pictures with Santa, or other situations where the camera is on tripod and the emphasis is on moving people through a portrait set. We have all seen it done.

The closest you will get to true tethering in the Pentax world would be a 645Z being run by Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software via USB. The next closest you could get would be a K-S2 on wireless tether using the Image Sync app and more distant would be the K-3 on the Flu-card.

Steve

* Lightroom offers tethering for a selection of Nikon, Canon, and Leica cameras only. Due the limitations of the feature, Martin Evening in "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book" (Adobe Press) suggests the option of foregoing the tether feature in favor of using the camera maker's tether solution in conjunction with a "watched" directory (auto-import). Lightroom will "watch" the directory and do auto-import including initial PP on any image files that are saved there. For more information on how this works, see:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/peachpit/peachpit/lightroom...thered_EOS.pdf
Not sure why you place the flu a distant 3rd it is capable of all your Tether criteria which the ks2 and it app certainly isn't ?
Unless you mean generic flu-car not the Pentax O-fc1.....
Flu (O-fc1)
A full on tethered solution, OTOH will:[LIST][*]Manage a live connection (usually wired) to between camera and computer
Managed views are available wireless
[*]Allow you to view most, if not all camera settings
All major functions are accessible and adjustable from a browser
[*]Allow full access to do most, if not all, camera settings and operations from the computer keyboard/mouse (shutter release included)
All major functions are accessible and adjustable from a browser
[*]Support live view via the computer monitor
Live view is available wireless
[*]Automate file download to a storage device, often enough to a "watched" directory (folder) associated with a program such as Lightroom*
Trek apps allow automated download to a watched folder
[*]May also provide automated PP and publication to the Web
You can do anything you like with an on action from the watched folder

The only thing I can say is you need to 'do it yourself' neither pentax nor Trek will hold you and and don't provide turn key limited solution
06-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Besides a link full tethering requires two thing 1. Software support for a given camera on the computer. 2. Firmware support in the camera. The camera firmware support is necessary to allow computer keystrokes to substitute for push button and dial inputs on the camera - to allow the camera to be remotely operated by the computer.

Since the original post mentioned HDMI input to a monitor - I would like to discuss what I am doing in that regards. I am using a 55 inch LG 4K TV (a UB8500) as my computer monitor. This does several things for me. One is that the LG is a wide gamut screen which supports the adobe color space - not just sRGB. Another is that as a consumer mass market device the LG is a much lower cost device than a comparable computer monitor would be - if you could find a 55 inch computer monitor. Another thing it brings is that it has a USB input which allows me to plug in a USB card reader and view pictures on the 4K screen.

I was simply stunned the first time I viewed pictures from a crappy little S3is Canon at 4K resolution. It was the first time I was able to see a 6 megapixel image at full resolution anywhere. Six megapixels - on an lcd - looks surprisingly rich and detailed - much more than I expected. The image from the S3is measured approximately 26.5 inches by 35.3 inches while the 6 megapixels from my original istD measure about 26" by 39". The istD shots look even better - as might be expected.

Viewing the 24 megapixels of a K3 at full resolution and comparable amounts of detail size would require a 110 inch 8K screen where the pictures would be about 52 inches by 78 inches. It is going to be a long time before I see all of a K3 image at once. Even large prints don't really have the look that an LCD gives to a digital picture. Because of the limitations of 4K - which can display a little over 8 megapixels maximum in a 16 x 9 format - viewing anything bigger than 6 megapixels on the screen doesn't show more detail than a 6 megapixel shot shows since you aren't seeing all of the pixels available from the source - but only roughly a 6 megapixel sub set of them. For example K3 shots displayed on a 4K screen actually show only about 1/4 of the pixels the camera captured.