Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

DNG & Mac Issues with K-3 II Photos

Hello! I posted a week ago with issues regarding my new K-3 II & shooting in RAW PEF - I got great answers from other members & changed saving my files while shooting from PEF to DNG. Lightroom can now read my DNG files, but my Mac is still unable to (in Preview)... Anyone have any solutions to this or do I have to convert my DNG photos to an older DNG format? I ask, because I like to weed through my photos using Preview before importing them into Lightroom or Photoshop to edit. Thanks in advance!!!

06-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like it's not yet supported.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203088

Presumably, it will be added. All other Pentax cameras have been supported thus far.
06-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by AndKM Quote
Hello! I posted a week ago with issues regarding my new K-3 II & shooting in RAW PEF - I got great answers from other members & changed saving my files while shooting from PEF to DNG. Lightroom can now read my DNG files, but my Mac is still unable to (in Preview)... Anyone have any solutions to this or do I have to convert my DNG photos to an older DNG format? I ask, because I like to weed through my photos using Preview before importing them into Lightroom or Photoshop to edit. Thanks in advance!!!
As a stop-gap until Apple release an update, why not shoot in RAW+ and use the JPGs for reviewing in Preview. If you're concerned about the extra space taken on the memory card you could always select one of the lower quality JPG options.

As a plus, it's much faster running through JPGs than RAW images in Preview.
06-23-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hm, Mac do supports DNG files. My K-S2 is not supported by Apple, but DNG from K-S2 works just fine in my Mac with Yosemite and the latest upgrades. PEF from K-S2 does not work, but DNG works. Don't understand why DNG från K-3 II doesn't work, it's the same DNG...

06-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You could weed out the ones you don't want in LRs import window by either selecting "Uncheck All" then placing a tick on the "Include in import" option in loupe view ("e" key) or deselecting the "Include in import" option. The right arrow key on your keyboard will switch to the next photo in the import dialog window. There's a zoom slider you can use to take a closer look at each of your photos too.
06-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Hm, Mac do supports DNG files. My K-S2 is not supported by Apple, but DNG from K-S2 works just fine in my Mac with Yosemite and the latest upgrades. PEF from K-S2 does not work, but DNG works. Don't understand why DNG från K-3 II doesn't work, it's the same DNG...
No, it is not the same DNG if pixel shift is used. So far only the DCU can handle K-3ii pixel shift DNGs.
06-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I like to weed through my photos using Preview before importing them into Lightroom or Photoshop to edit
For me I use LR to do this, as the import takes no real time... nor does the remove photo when I'm done.

With this method I also save a step in the workflow.

06-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #8

I have no problems reading DNG with preview on Macbook Pro
06-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
No, it is not the same DNG if pixel shift is used. So far only the DCU can handle K-3ii pixel shift DNGs.
Ok, but pixel shift off DNG should work then... ?!