Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I need good advice

Hello everybody I need some help. I use K20 from day one mostly landscape ,image old town street Not too much for sport
If I have time hiking and use my mostly lenses as Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 18-250 and few Russian older lenses. So sometimes 400-500 image per weekend
Now K 20 show some problem and 18-250 creep very severe even I use rubber rings
So my dilemma upgrade to K 3 or wait when k3ii will more settings
Down or buy k5 price very much down
I never play with k3 so how good for landscape with dust environment how hungry camera for energy
Second how K 3 work with Sigma 10-20
3 good idea upgrade 18-250 to 18-135 or 18-270
One more how good quality item camera and lense if go to buy on Amazon
I have some problem before with BH photo so want stay far for now
Thank you so much for future help

06-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Hello everybody I need some help. I use K20 from day one mostly landscape ,image old town street Not too much for sport
If I have time hiking and use my mostly lenses as Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 18-250 and few Russian older lenses. So sometimes 400-500 image per weekend
Now K 20 show some problem and 18-250 creep very severe even I use rubber rings
So my dilemma upgrade to K 3 or wait when k3ii will more settings
Down or buy k5 price very much down
I never play with k3 so how good for landscape with dust environment how hungry camera for energy
Second how K 3 work with Sigma 10-20
3 good idea upgrade 18-250 to 18-135 or 18-270
One more how good quality item camera and lense if go to buy on Amazon
I have some problem before with BH photo so want stay far for now
Thank you so much for future help
The K-3 is a great camera, you should go for it. Read our review if you haven't already:

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There's not much new in the K-3 II. You can also ready about on it on the homepage.

Buying from Amazon is fine, but look for listings that are fulfilled by Amazon. Be wary of grey market sellers that offer no warranty. B&H is a great store, I'd give them a second chance even if you had a hiccup in the past.

I'd recommend asking lens-specific questions in the lens forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've just upgraded from the K20D to the K-3ii. It's a huge capability leap over the K-20D and I have no regrets. I'm finding it very easy to use and the results are outstanding.

If you use the on-board flash and don't need GPS in-built, buy the K-3.

If you have little or no use for the on-board flash, and do some astro photography (like me) or GPS stuff, go with the K-3ii.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you have a five year old PC or laptop, you might want to consider upgrading that too. The larger file size will result in slow processing times.

As far as buying goes, steer clear of grey imports. It's not worth it.
06-26-2015, 03:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I've just upgraded from the K20D to the K-3ii. It's a huge capability leap over the K-20D and I have no regrets. I'm finding it very easy to use and the results are outstanding.

If you use the on-board flash and don't need GPS in-built, buy the K-3.

If you have little or no use for the on-board flash, and do some astro photography (like me) or GPS stuff, go with the K-3ii.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you have a five year old PC or laptop, you might want to consider upgrading that too. The larger file size will result in slow processing times.

As far as buying goes, steer clear of grey imports. It's not worth it.
Computer easy I build my from scratch myself
Easy upgrade
Camera different story
May more advice about lenses
Adam regarding your comment BH they sale grey market as well same as adorama
I had my experience before with BH and few another fine store in NY

06-26-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Banned

BH they sale grey market as well same as adorama

You're mistaken, both are authorized Pentax dealers. See list here: Find a RICOH Imaging Retailer
06-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

May more advice about lenses
Buy second hand and go for a 17-50mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8. If you're cash strapped, pick the focal length you prefer and buy that first, then save for the second.

If you're on a budget the brand doesn't really matter for these lens sizes if you're coming off a kit lens. Sigma, Pentax or Tamron; they're all good quality lenses.

I borrowed a Sigma 10-20 last year from a relative and took about 500 photos with it in challenging conditions with the K20D, all of which turned out well. Whilst I haven't tried it on the K-3ii, I have been running comparisons with other lens (17-50, 70-200 and 77ltd) and the K-3ii brings out the best in them all. The 10-20 would be no different.

Last edited by jawsy; 06-26-2015 at 04:29 AM.
06-26-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam regarding your comment BH they sale grey market as well same as adorama
Both label their grey market offerings as either "Grey Market" or "Imported". If you're unsure about the status of something you are about to order from either store, I'm sure their customer service would be happy to help you.

06-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

At a minimum go for K5 IIs. The greater resolution without aa filter is noticeable and extra F2.8 sensor improves AF.

If u r a serious landscape shooter the K3 is formidable with 24mpx at low iso.

I would go for the K3. Note: I currently own K3 and K5.

Howie Be
06-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

Get the replacement lens first and the camera second.
I'd be looking at a Pentax 18-270 or 18-135.
You just need to decide which is more important - longer reach or weather proofing
You may also get a quote to have the existing one repaired.
Your 10-20 will be fine on any modern Pentax body.
Don't get rid of your camera body. It was the last of the CCD sensor bodies and the CMOS ones since then are less "creamy". You may miss that look and feel
06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

dstar, I'm a part-time New Mexico resident. Keep in mind that Weather Resistant in your part of the world not only means rain, but especially applies to wind-whipped sand and dust. So, think about those dusty days when you might want to keep a WR lens on the body, rather than going with slightly better IQ lenses that require you to change lenses often - and aren't WR. This isn't my first instinct, as I'm all about high IQ. If my typical weekend shoot was usually spent within 100 miles of ABQ, I'd strongly consider the K-3 with the 18-135 as my initial kit. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 18-135 based on the IQ and doubt I'll ever own one - but it sounds like that your situation really calls for that combo.
06-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. Reason to ask about 18-135 so different
Opinion
My walking lens mostly sigma 10-20
even not WR but I keep coverage with plastic bag both body and lens
when hiking into desert or mountain
I just have hard time to to decided what to buy 18-135 or 18/270
Or just try buy again 18-250
My older 18-250 was repaired 2 times ready by Pentax
About these 2 lenses so much different opinion
06-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

no the K10D was the last Pentax with CCD sensor, still have it and not selling it

---------- Post added 06-27-15 at 13:33 ----------

Thanks. Reason to ask about 18-135 so different
Opinion
My walking lens mostly sigma 10-20
even not WR but I keep coverage with plastic bag both body and lens
when hiking into desert or mountain
I just have hard time to to decided what to buy 18-135 or 18/270
Or just try buy again 18-250
My older 18-250 was repaired 2 times ready by Pentax
About these 2 lenses so much different opinion
my liking:
1 Sigma 18-250 DC HSM Macro ( the latest one , 62mm filter , silent focus, about the same size as DA 18-250)
2 Pentax DA 18-250 ( by Tamron, I was lucky to purchase new one in MAY2012)
3 Pentax DA 18-270 ( by Tamron silent focus, the largest)
4 Pentax DA 18-135 ( WR , silent focus and very compact)
06-27-2015, 03:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would really recommend the K-3, a fantastic camera. Since the release of the K-3II, it is very well priced.
You should take advantage of the weather seal and get at least one WR lens. I would personally go for the DA 16-85 WR but the 18-135 is an alternative.
The K-3 unfotunately increases the desire for better lenses and you will probably benefit from a sharp 35 or 50 mm prime and a fast 70-200 mm. I would personally skip the non-weather sealed superzooms.
06-27-2015, 04:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I would really recommend the K-3, a fantastic camera. Since the release of the K-3II, it is very well priced.
You should take advantage of the weather seal and get at least one WR lens. I would personally go for the DA 16-85 WR but the 18-135 is an alternative.
The K-3 unfotunately increases the desire for better lenses and you will probably benefit from a sharp 35 or 50 mm prime and a fast 70-200 mm. I would personally skip the non-weather sealed superzooms.
One more question
I still in my bag several older style Russian lenses
I used before with K-20/ manual/
But what about k-3?
06-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

If you can use it on K20D you can use it on a K-3, no change there.