Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

GPS question

Before I turned the GPS on I went into the Menu and selected calibration. The message was to rotate the camera in three different ways. After I did the first rotation I got a message that it was calibrated correctly without doing the other rotations. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm wondering if it actually did calibrate correctly. Is the location information somewhere on the top or back panels/screens? Also, I've read 3 different responses to how often the calibration has to be done. One was every time the camera was turned off and back on. Another was only if you moved to another location fairly far away. The last was when the battery is removed and then put back in. I hope it's not every time the camera is turned on.

06-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
Before I turned the GPS on I went into the Menu and selected calibration. The message was to rotate the camera in three different ways. After I did the first rotation I got a message that it was calibrated correctly without doing the other rotations. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm wondering if it actually did calibrate correctly. Is the location information somewhere on the top or back panels/screens? Also, I've read 3 different responses to how often the calibration has to be done. One was every time the camera was turned off and back on. Another was only if you moved to another location fairly far away. The last was when the battery is removed and then put back in. I hope it's not every time the camera is turned on.
My k3 and o-gps does the same. Even when using astrotracer and precise calibration it will say "calibrated correctly" after just one or two rotations.
Actually i am under the impression that the calibration procedure is just for the compass function. So i don't think it will affect the gps .
But i might be wrong.......
06-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What gets callibrated is the electronic compass. It is important to do each time you want to use the Astrotracer function. Other than that it isn't critical to redo the callibration unless you rely on or care about the compass (as I recall the direction in which the camera is pointed gets recorded in the EXIF).

The location is displayed on the status screen on the rear monitor (assuming you're talking K-3 II). Hit the INFO button twice and select that screen.
Attached Images

06-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a K-3: Press the Info-button and select "Detailed Information". Scroll down to the second info-page and you will find information on geographical co-ordinates and compass heading. You can also check the accuracy by loading your images to the 'Geosetter' software (freeware) where you can see your position and heading as an overlay on Google Maps.

For simple calibration, one or two rotations may sometimes suffice. If you are insecure, try to re-calibrate and check if coordinates and heading have changed significantly.

But I would defintely calibrate each time I power up my camera - if you want heading to be accurate. You don't need to do it if you just wake the camera from sleep-mode. Anyway, simple re-calibration normally just takes a few seconds, so I do not consider that to be a big deal.

And yes, if your O-GPS1 battery goes flat during use, you must recalibrate after you have inserted a fresh battery in the O-GPS1 unit.

http://www.gyes.eu/documents/pentax_gps_unit_o-gps1_manual.pdf